random thoughts and questions - all things shaving

@TobyC ive learnt a lot from your posts seriously, in regads to keeping it simple and using products that are tried and tested but i wanted to ask which modern razors do you have?
Nothing recent, I have a MicroTouch One, which is a good razor, but not better than a Super Speed, A Fatip Piccolo, which is a great razor, but it's just a Gillette OLD type clone, an EJ DE89, which is a good shaver, and a RazoRock OLD TYPE head, which is a mild shaver that's just another Gillette OLD type clone. Nothing has the smooth shave feel of an early brass Gillette.

Nothing recent, I have a MicroTouch One, which is a good razor, but not better than a Super Speed, A Fatip Piccolo, which is a great razor, but it's just a Gillette OLD type clone, an EJ DE89, which is a good shaver, and a RazoRock OLD TYPE head, which is a mild shaver that's just another Gillette OLD type clone. Nothing has the smooth shave feel of an early brass Gillette.
you always used de razors like the vintage gillettes or were you a cart user too?

you always used de razors like the vintage gillettes or were you a cart user too?
Used to get free cart razors in the mail, every time they came out with a new one they sent out promotional razors and blades. I used them and the free blades that came with them but refused to pay the $$$ to get refills. I would buy bags of disposable razors for less than two bucks a bag and used canned foam too. A few years after my old man died I pulled out his OLD type Gillette and ordered some Wilkinson Sword German blades and I got the best shave of my life. I never shaved with a plastic crapper again. It was a couple more years before I started using proper shave soap and a brush, and a couple more years before I discovered boar brushes. These days I even use aftershave.

anyone used the bic metal single diosposable razors?

i saw these in a local high street shop the other day was thinking not seen these before,
according to posts on B&B theyve been out for a long time

anyways they were in the shop pack of 5 for i think about £1.50 cheaper then amazon uk,
might grab some next time to give them a go

Edit: search amazon and youll find it, link doesnt work

Btw wanted to ask I always noticed that the vintage shaving stuff seems to come with talcum powder or talcum powder holders or the likes and I was wondering what was it used got back in the day for shaving?

I believe they are Brush and soap stick holders @saj, the breather holes are to allow them to dry more quickly, I stand to be corrected.
Yea I seen those but sorry I should've said I meant in like the vintage old spice sets like this random one

Like I know talcum powder was used on babies years back not so much nowadays but was wondering what it was used for in shaving? Like before or post shave?

It's a bit before my time @Tony'schin lool :cry::ROFLMAO:

download.jpeg

Here's more than you wanted to know on the subject of talc. It's pretty old school now but then so is traditional shaving. Concern about inhaling the fine dust kind of put a lot of people off. I can remember being given aftershave and talc sets for Christmas as a teenager who just started shaving.

Here's more than you wanted to know on the subject of talc. It's pretty old school now but then so is traditional shaving. Concern about inhaling the fine dust kind of put a lot of people off. I can remember being given aftershave and talc sets for Christmas as a teenager who just started shaving.

Thanks will have a read

Yea I think that's one of the reason why they stopped using it for babies

That was an interesting read

Pretty sure I've got some talcum powder somewhere do might try it out

Talcum powder is generally regarded as bad nowadays, after it was linked to cancer (if used a lot) and Johnson & Johnson USA lost in court and had to pay gazillion's of dollars to a woman who got cervical cancer after using their talc for years (down there)

I don't remember it being used for shaving, but I remember it being part of cosmetic gift sets for men back in the 1970`s

Back
Top Bottom