Name the top four, and ONLY four!

Generally hard soaps last longer than softer ones, as they contain less water. However, I've found not all croaps are the same. Cella Bio has a lot more water than the few Signature Soaps I have. It's just an estimate, but I think I'd need about a gram worth of Cella Bio to build a lather (eg 24mm synth, enough lather for 2 passes), whilst I'd need around half that for Signature Soaps.

Longetivity is not something I really think about, but I do think about which brushes work with which soaps better than others. From my experiences, I've found 'modern' soaps (eg Cella Bio, Signature Soaps etc) work the best with synthetic brushes and less so with my boars, whilst harder soaps and shaving sticks work really well with my boar brushes (and synths as well).
Not sure they contain less water. When calculating water to lie ratio it’s a function of oils, butters, used in base and the lie ratio water discount percentage used. What really makes the difference in harness to softness is the ratio of potassium and sodium hydroxide used. The more sodiumHydroxide to Potassium Hydroxide the harder the soap and vice versa

Not sure they contain less water. When calculating water to lie ratio it’s a function of oils, butters, used in base and the lie ratio water discount percentage used. What really makes the difference in harness to softness is the ratio of potassium and sodium hydroxide used. The more sodiumHydroxide to Potassium Hydroxide the harder the soap and vice versa

Thanks for your insights and the corrections, it's good to know for sure from an actual maker of shaving soaps opposed to my uneducated guess and speculation which was founded on a presumption which turned out to be false!

Thanks for your insights and the corrections, it's good to know for sure from an actual maker of shaving soaps opposed to my uneducated guess and speculation which was founded on a presumption which turned out to be false!
At the end of the day, we all have different techniques and skin types and try to find out the “best” soap for our use.

Following recent experience, The Fat goes straight to the top of the list:

Mithcell's Woolfat
La Toja
MDC Original (in spite of the fact that it's now in a plastic tub, not a glass one).
A humble American soap whose name evades me...

I'd class all of these as 'economy' soaps (yes, even MDC, because it lasts for a thousand years), yet their performance is excellent bar none!

Last edited:
Following recent experience, The Fat goes straight to the top of the list:

Mithcell's Woolfat
La Toja
MDC Original (in spite of the fact that it's now in a plastic tub, not a glass one).
A humble American soap whose name evades me...

I'd class all of these as 'economy' soaps (yes, even MDC, because it lasts for a thousand years), yet their performance is excellent bar none!
Edit: I've just remembered the name of that US soap in 4th place - Van Der Hagen deluxe Shave Soap.

Sir Irisch Moos shave stick
Meissner Tremonia Lavender
Stirling Barbershop
Wilkinson Sword shave stick
The Wilkie stick which I find to be slightly harder than Palmolive is superb. Great scent and the holy trinity of tallow, glycerin and lanolin. Maahhvellous!

@donnie_arko kindly sourced me some from Laaandon last year and @pjgh even gifted me some, the generous chap.

But it is all blasphemy at the altar of the Divine St. Mitchell and his twin, the Right Reverend Friar Kent. The Fat will set you free…

Fat Wagon!

AL9nZEURKetqkEFOT4-BYeGVj11Oxs-ADGPx8SZTShpqOWe8gSllR1ydLIHCbMf96dSPfzj1TRum7p7qq2Xg36zYgS4TCCPi4dpK7x7y6ESUx1D3XF4r7k-MzH5ItriyLJTMTAQGfOp2Bqw8DRIzMIdP2orWfA=w800

I’ve got some of the La Barberia hard cake soap en route. 4 x 60g for £10 delivered. Sweet Orange, Fresh Lemon, Summer Fruits and Classic (woody). I watched a Jim Will Shave video on the Tube of You where he lathered the lemon one on his bonce and it looked impressive. He certainly enjoyed it and to make you aware, it wasn’t a freebie. British made too.

Back
Top Bottom