Name the top four, and ONLY four!

Because you can get thirty or more shaves off MDC without even scratching the surface, that 200g jar quite literally last forever. Pound for pound (or value for your Buck), it's very cost-effective. Very!

Paul, I know you are a fan of 3P as well, how does it compare to MdC?

3P is supposed to have an ingredients list very close to MdC and I'm not sure if I made this but I think some might have observed 3P performs really well for it's price tag and would be a good alternative to MdC for those who are after a good vegan shaving soap. I used 3P a few years ago and it was excellent from what I remember, but I presume the scent irritated my skin.

Paul, I know you are a fan of 3P as well, how does it compare to MdC?

3P is supposed to have an ingredients list very close to MdC and I'm not sure if I made this but I think some might have observed 3P performs really well for it's price tag and would be a good alternative to MdC for those who are after a good vegan shaving soap. I used 3P a few years ago and it was excellent from what I remember, but I presume the scent irritated my skin.

It does, and it's certainly good, very good in fact ... but not MDC.

1) MDC (pjgh's remarks are spot on)
2) Savonniere du Moulin (Donkey soap)
3) Captain Fawcett's
4) ADP Collezione Barbierre

I really wanted to put Signature Soaps Londinium in there but couldn't decide 'how hard' is this thread referring to. Soft hard, medium hard, hard or fucking hard?
As with many things, the harder the better!

1) MDC (pjgh's remarks are spot on)
2) Savonniere du Moulin (Donkey soap)
3) Captain Fawcett's
4) ADP Collezione Barbierre

I really wanted to put Signature Soaps Londinium in there but couldn't decide 'how hard' is this thread referring to. Soft hard, medium hard, hard or fucking hard?
It’s interesting - is there an assumption that a hard soap lasts longer than a croap type soap?

They make an ass out of an umption. Or something.

I actually had always assumed a hard or triple milled soap would go further than a soft soap or croap. Is this not the case then? My SV seems to go on forever compared to Cella and certainly longer than my Proraso cream, but I have not done any counting of the number of shaves per gram or even thought about it before. Not that longevity is a factor as we all have loads of soap and buy what we like for myriad other reasons. I like my Signature soaps and although soft they do last ages tbf.

Last edited:
They make an ass out of an umption. Or something.

I actually had always assumed a hard or triple milled soap would go further than a soft soap or croap. Is this not the case then? My SV seems to go on forever compared to Cella and certainly longer than my Proraso cream, but I have not done any counting of the number of shaves per gram or even thought about it before. Not that longevity is a factor as we all have loads of soap and buy what we like for myriad other reasons. I like my Signature soaps and although soft they do last ages tbf.

Generally hard soaps last longer than softer ones, as they contain less water. However, I've found not all croaps are the same. Cella Bio has a lot more water than the few Signature Soaps I have. It's just an estimate, but I think I'd need about a gram worth of Cella Bio to build a lather (eg 24mm synth, enough lather for 2 passes), whilst I'd need around half that for Signature Soaps.

Longetivity is not something I really think about, but I do think about which brushes work with which soaps better than others. From my experiences, I've found 'modern' soaps (eg Cella Bio, Signature Soaps etc) work the best with synthetic brushes and less so with my boars, whilst harder soaps and shaving sticks work really well with my boar brushes (and synths as well).

Whatever hardness it’s classed as, I’ve never used a better shaving soap than Signature. I used Signature Britannia today and it was sheer heaven in terms of scent and performance. I could have just left it at a cold rinse but I do like an alcohol splash.

In my opinion, which must be tempered with the fact that I have not sampled MdC and many of the American artisanal soaps, Signature Soaps are simply the best out there. If there is better, I cannot imagine how it could be so but then my horizons are limited by my purse and Signature is at the top end of my affordability. That said, Signature comes in a big 180g pot thus is excellent value compared to its peers. I’d certainly not class it as a traditional hard soap, though.

Honourable mentions must however go to Phoenix & Beau and Wickhams which I find to be a similar, if not identical, consistency to my stated favourite.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom