2. Martin de Candre
  3. D R Harris
  4. Mogno
Classy.

1. St. Mitchell of the Fat
2. D R Harris
3. Cyril R Salter
4. Vintage Culmak

And not necessarily in that order as the Culmak is great stuff. I only put the Harris above the Salter as it’s supposedly the same soap but I could have it Windsor or Arlington scents which are both lovely. Always, always must have the Fat up there but I’ve only used the ARKO stick, nary the hard cake in a bowl. Oh, Ach Brito Mogno is excellent and deserves a mention though I’m not certain it would dislodge the stated four. Never had the pleasure of vintage Williams. And I canna stretch the old sky rocket to buy SV soaps, alas.

1) The Fat
2) Arko
3)
4)

A few gaps there, as they are the only 2 hard soaps I could recommend. If it included shaving sticks, I'd throw in there Palmolive, Tabac, Speick, Derby, Lea to name a few.

I never got to try Williams, I should have bought a few pucks before it was discontinued and it's prices shot through the roof.

For those who like Mogno, the Eco Warrier Lime shaving bar (before they reformulated it) has a similar lather. Cyril Salter is a good shaving soap but made my face burn.

And I canna stretch the old sky rocket to buy SV soaps, alas.

I'm sure SV is a good soap, but like yourself I'd be a little wary for spending £30+ on one tin of shaving soap, especially considering as I almost entirely prefer using tallow based shaving soaps.

I like your thinking! I've just enjoyed a good stretch with what I think is a 1980s vintage (with a herbal scent) and then a 1970s vintage (with a possible citrus woody scent). Grand stuff, vintage Culmak!
I’ve got an ivory plastic bowl with a blue ridged lid that had a damaged Culmak sticker on top. I was kindly gifted this by a member who hasn’t posted in a long time. I’ve only just rediscovered it having moved almost three years ago. I remember it being an excellent soap with a simple, clean and soapy scent.

Question: do you know how the modern Culmak soap performs?

Question: do you know how the modern Culmak soap performs?

I'm hazy ...

I think I bought a black lid tub (current issue) and thought it okay ... okay, not great. It might be that I just needed a bit of time and space as that was almost certainly in my discovery phase. Now, I might find it great. Vintage is certainly great.

Sorry ... hazy.

Back
Top Bottom