Mild Razor for SE Beginner

So my razor arrived today with some blades to try and a better handle, thanks to Dan, you're a gent. I've shaved with it already. I was a bit nervous I admit. But was one of the best shaves I have had. Used the pro guard blade, very smooth but I didn't like the feel of the guard on the blade too much. Not that it gave me a bad shave, just didn't like the way the blade felt on my skin. The shave was excellent, one tiny nick, but that was a nick from the other day that I caught. I will try the Pro Shave S next. keeping a log of how the shaves will go and then can decide which blade is for me. No irritation no need for a pickup pass. Two passes and jobs done. Such an efficient razor. I can see now why people stick with SE once they have tried them. All in all a great shave.

Thanks again for everyone's advice it's been greatly appreciated. I think soon I'm going to be asking advice on what razor to get next.

Kind regards
Callum

So my razor arrived today with some blades to try and a better handle, thanks to Dan, you're a gent. I've shaved with it already. I was a bit nervous I admit. But was one of the best shaves I have had. Used the pro guard blade, very smooth but I didn't like the feel of the guard on the blade too much. Not that it gave me a bad shave, just didn't like the way the blade felt on my skin. The shave was excellent, one tiny nick, but that was a nick from the other day that I caught. I will try the Pro Shave S next. keeping a log of how the shaves will go and then can decide which blade is for me. No irritation no need for a pickup pass. Two passes and jobs done. Such an efficient razor. I can see now why people stick with SE once they have tried them. All in all a great shave.

Thanks again for everyone's advice it's been greatly appreciated. I think soon I'm going to be asking advice on what razor to get next.

Kind regards
Callum
Remember to give each blade a few goes before making a call on them.

I was planning on trying each blade once and then keep doing that a few times and start eliminating blades. Would you think it's best to use each blade a few times, instead of the way I was planning on doing it?

If you like mild razors, the following may work for you (subjective, of course):

ATT G1 (GEM format)
Blackland Sabre L1 (GEM format)
Supply (Injector)
Schick L1 or M Adjustable (Injector)
Colonial General V1 or V2 (any material)
Classic Shaving Occam's Razor (1 or 2 dot plate)
Classic Shaving Hiram Commander (1 or 2 dot plate)
Hawk V3 standard plate

You may also like the Oneblade. The Core version of the razor is relatively cheap: https://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/oneblade-core-single-edge-razor

With the Excalibur, the acceptable angle is quite wide and so very forgiving on the angle. Try angling the razor more than you think is necessary so the (albeit very slim) cap is flatter to your face and the handle is sticking out more. I found that after several shaves, I was most definitely feeling that the blade was not as keen, but changing the angle brought the smoothness back. The Hawk V3, by comparison, has a much narrower angle but it immediately revealed giving quite the same feeling to the shave throughout the life of the blade.

The Excalibur is a sound razor and a good introduction to this type of shaving. I shunned the AC style thing until only very recently so I'm only a few weeks ahead of you @Mr.Draper87 and enjoying it very much.

Thanks for the tips regarding the angle. I shall try that with my next shave. It was a lovely shave today, but if changing the angle improves that, I shall look forward to an even more enjoyable shave.

Out of curiosity, which AC razor did you lean on then?

Thanks
Callum

Thanks for the tips regarding the angle. I shall try that with my next shave. It was a lovely shave today, but if changing the angle improves that, I shall look forward to an even more enjoyable shave.

Out of curiosity, which AC razor did you lean on then?

Thanks
Callum
I got a Yaqi AC V2 (the Raster) and also a V1? (Excalibur). I've had a good few shaves with those and decided I liked the format. I got a Hawk V3 just a couple? three? weeks ago with both the regular and the A plate. That's my full experience with the AC format, other than in a Feather straight edge. The Yaqi is the one where angle can make a difference, particularly once the blade is worn in.

I've had many years with the GEM format.

I'd echo that ...

As a single edge shaver of many years with the GEM format, recently returning to traditional shaving off a short break I came back to DE shaving. Having shunned the whole AC single edge thing, this time I thought "why not?" ... and I am VERY glad that I did. While I will absolutely carry on with the GEM format that I love, the AC style gives a phenomenally smooth experience.

I know this is somewhat exaggerated, but we do have to do so to emphasise the point ...

The smoothest shave you can get off the DE format is probably the starting point with the AC single edge format. It's something of a revelation!
I want to experiment in GEM. I have a 1912 now but wonder what other GEM SE razors are worth attention?

I want to experiment in GEM. I have a 1912 now but wonder what other GEM SE razors are worth attention?
It's worth knowing that the American 1912s gained a reshaped comb in 1930 and took a refresh as the GEM Junior. Look out for those. Often you seen them as gold washed, which nowadays washes off really easily to reveal a lovely brass head. Touch of Peek polish and it's gleaming ...

The 1914 and 1924 are two that I really enjoy alongside the 1912. Later model 1914s are really solid - I put together a spotters' guide: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/co...-1924-identification.25875/page-3#post-837536 ... and for the 1924: https://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/community/threads/ever-ready-1924-aka-shovel-head.33909/

Maybe @Mr.Draper87 can be tempted to the GEM format next? I wouldn't call them mild shaves, though. That said, the late model 1912s like the Bathroom Set and the Peerless are notably smoother/milder? than earlier models. Those, and the older/original 1912s: the Damaskeene, with the curved topcap give a smoother run.

Last edited:
What would people choose for someone that likes mild razors, between ATT SE1, Colonial General V2 and RazoRock Hawk V3? I would be looking for one in stainless steel.

Thanks
Callum
I am certainly thrilled with my Hawk V3 as a follow-up to the Raster/Excalibur - again, even the A plate is NOT aggressive. I have no experience of the others that you mentioned but ealier in this thread, folks were putting their opinions of them. I specifically did not want a mild shaver and so was put off the Colonial General for that reputation, but it is certainly loved by folks who have them. The ATT SE1 has not been on my radar, but you seemed to latch onto it pretty quickly. Maybe that settles an order of preference in your mind?

Back
Top Bottom