Mild Razor for SE Beginner

Hi, I'm looking at getting a SE razor. I'm not sure what to go for though. I'm looking for one that is pretty mild. Could someone recommend me one for a beginner at SE shaving? looking to spend around £65 can go a little higher if needed though.

Thanks
Callum

I'm using a Hawk V3 at the moment and have compared the regular plate to the so-called aggressive A plate. I find the A plate very smooth indeed (smoother than the regular plate), with almost imperceptible blade contact. The regular plate left me a bit stubbly while the A plate shaves clean but it is most certainly NOT aggressive. In many respects, it puts me in mind of the Star double-edge razor which has a very slight blade presentation and gives a very smooth shave, mild-feeling but still very capable shave.

I'm eyeing up the ATT SE1 in the BST. Would that be a good razor for me? Also what blades do you recommend for sensitive skin?
You can count on @Boycie83 to give you an objective opinion on this as I believe he has experience with many AC type SE razors.
The emporium will never try a hard sell ;)

Blade wise I personaly find the Shick Proline P-30 to be on the mild side. Definitely less agressive than the Feathers. But as always in this game YMMV.

The aluminium General on the BST all the way for me. Mild and efficient.

They are a little lightweight but they do deliver terrific shaves.

Not to discount the SE1 either which I am sure give you more than you could ever need.

Last edited:
I'd echo that ...

As a single edge shaver of many years with the GEM format, recently returning to traditional shaving off a short break I came back to DE shaving. Having shunned the whole AC single edge thing, this time I thought "why not?" ... and I am VERY glad that I did. While I will absolutely carry on with the GEM format that I love, the AC style gives a phenomenally smooth experience.

I know this is somewhat exaggerated, but we do have to do so to emphasise the point ...

The smoothest shave you can get off the DE format is probably the starting point with the AC single edge format. It's something of a revelation!

How many shaves can you get out of an AC blade? I know they're a little more expensive than DE blades. What blades are the mildest? I think I'm going to go with the SE1. It's at a good price and I can move it on if I don't like it. I did get a good offer for a Supply razor, but your limited to just a few blades with that.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
Callum

YMMV doesn't apply anywhere more than it does when talking about blades. AC blades do last more than DE that's for sure. Some get 15 to 20 shaves out of them. Personally I don't push them past 10 as I think they're good value for money at that.
PM me your address and I'll send you one of each I have so you can try before you buy.
Feather Proguard
Feather Professional
Kai Mild Pink
Schick Proline
ProShave S

Agree as above.

I usually get 10 to 12 from a blade. I am biased but I think far better shaves are gained.

I can send a few samples not mentioned previously

Kai Captain
Kai Titan mild
Feather Super Professional

Again just PM and will be sorted

So I missed out on the SE1, unfortunately. But I was recommended to try the inexpensive Yaqi Excalibur, and what do you know, thanks to Dan, I have now got myself one to try. And I have some blades to try, thanks to the kind members of this forum.

Thank you all for your advice it has been greatly appreciated. The people on this forum are such gentlemen.

Respectfully
Callum

Hi, I'm looking at getting a SE razor. I'm not sure what to go for though. I'm looking for one that is pretty mild. Could someone recommend me one for a beginner at SE shaving? looking to spend around £65 can go a little higher if needed though.

Thanks
Callum
If you have a mild DE razor that sees little use then you could remove one side (in line with the top cap) and after profiling the now back end, you would have a very serviceable SE razor. I did this with a RazoRock Mission and use it as my travelling shaver and am very happy with it. Plus you have the added bonus of not spending anything on a brand new razor. Win win in my book.

Back
Top Bottom