Internet identity - a discusssion

philamac said:
rangers62 said:
What if a police officer stops you driving your vehicle and requires you to produce the same documents. No accident, no offence, no explanation required why you were stopped. Does that sound reasonable?
Quote; "The police do not need any reason to stop any person driving, attempting to drive or in charge of a motor vehicle on a road for a routine check. The police can then require that you provide your name, date of birth, driving licence and insurance details. Failure to comply with any of these requirements is an offence."
I don't have a problem with that, especially given the number of disqualified/uninsured drivers and drivers who have never passed a test. But if I'm walking down the street going about my business then I would be worried if the police or a private security guard or sny government employee was able to ask me for ID without a really really good reason. I would be afraid that if this ID card is produced it will not just be policemen who will be able to ask me to produce it on demand.

That I think is the crux of the matter. I'm not being contentious merely for it's sake, but, how many people are 'walking down the street' who are actually intent on causing you and yours harm? I don't mean on a global scale, terrorism etc.. Would ID cards be an asset for law enforcement? Probably. An asset for governments keeping an eye on you? I don't think people (law abiding ones) are scrutinised as much as they think.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you. :lol:

Another thing that grates about an ID card - it's not compulsory yet. I can choose whether or not to have a TV set and therefore whether I need to pay for a TV licence. I can choose not to drive or own a car (and therefore choose not to hold a driving licence or vehicle registration).

When it becomes compulsory, it's a bit late in the day to come and tell me that I need to pay a compulsory £30 fee (tax) to live (or face a £1000 fine) - I can't choose not to (I'd need the ID card to be able to travel to get away from the tax for instance). (Anyone who thinks there won't be scope creep only needs to look at the ID cards issued from 1939 - when introduced they were for 3 purposes, by the time they were abolished in 1952 that was 39 purposes).

If there is any element of compulsion it should immediately become free and all those that paid for one get a refund.

hunnymonster said:
I never carry my car docs or driving licence about with me - unless I'm en route to the police station because I've got a HO/RT1 (I used to get about 10-12 a week when I was younger - to the extent I used to save them up and take them all in on a Friday night on my way out to the pub and pick them up on the way home - curiously over 90% of them were from the same cop, but I digress) - they're just the thing to have nicked along with your car...

I think it's foolish to carry your docs in the car. Most forces will tell you the same. The only reason you will get a HORT/1 now is if there is any dubiety with your docs. Most info can be accessed via PNC as insurers mostly comply. There are an awful, awful amount of drivers out their with no licences, insurance or MOT's. Cheaper to pay a fine than to buy insurance :evil: You have got me started now!

Presumably your tax / MOT / insurance status can be checked easily enough (DVLA checks the last two quickly enough if you renew your disc online, after all), so there's no justification here for another database. It's not the card that bothers me, it's the scope of the underlying data gathering operation, and the egregious track record we have in this country for responsible data handling. On a more facetious note, thinking about all this today it occurs to me that it's a good job that I don't have a supermarket loyalty card, after all, who could have a legitimate use for so much Palmolive? Obviously I must be constructing a soap bomb.

On a more facetious note, thinking about all this today it occurs to me that it's a good job that I don't have a supermarket loyalty card, after all, who could have a legitimate use for so much Palmolive? Obviously I must be constructing a soap bomb.

:lol: :lol:

Having started this off, I have followed it with interest. It's really turned into a very sensible discussion about identity cards. But the real point was about internet identity. I still think it's a shame that there are so very few of us who are prepared to use relevant names and real photos of ourselves. C'est la vie. I'm happy to continue to be me.

Fido said:
Having started this off, I have followed it with interest. It's really turned into a very sensible discussion about identity cards. But the real point was about internet identity. I still think it's a shame that there are so very few of us who are prepared to use relevant names and real photos of ourselves. C'est la vie. I'm happy to continue to be me.

OK I'm not changing my name but I've changed my avatar! I do apologise for the lack of focus and also for any indigestion this may cause fellow members. :? Anyone else care to share their ugly mugs with the masses? :D

Pig Cat said:
Fido said:

OK I'm not changing my name but I've changed my avatar! I do apologise for the lack of focus and also for any indigestion this may cause fellow members. :? Anyone else care to share their ugly mugs with the masses? :D

PC check those peepers! you been smoking shave stick gratings again? :D

I think those of you 'coming out are very brave. Only last week or so everyone at work was warned about internet identification, seemingly some rather less than savoury chaps have been trawling Facebook and the likes for info. Some 'less life experienced' people have been putting on stuff about themselves that shouldn't really have been in the public domain.
Gents you will understand if I decline. My rugged yet boyish good looks would only have sent you into a spiral of depression.

Regards

Pig Cat said:
Anyone else care to share their ugly mugs with the masses? :D

I'll show you a picture.... but it's exclusively for my own personal use.

268251174_tp.jpg

I just love the fact that you had that picture at your disposal to show us all!

OK, I'll try again. Anyone else care to share pictures of themselves roller-skating naked through Kettering town centre?

rangers62 said:
PC check those peepers! you been smoking shave stick gratings again? :D

Nope, just foolishly staying up past 9 o'clock when I've a baby who's been waking up at regular intervals throughout the night for the last seven months. :shock: Oh, and also trying to take a pic of myself with a camera at arm's length with no flash to avoid showing a multitude of sins...er...a face full of character and distinction. :D

PC
Don't worry, you'll be a taxi service before you know it.
Images are powerful things. Every time I see a post from you I think of your avatar, same with Olly and HM and my brain kind of puts the imagined personality of the avatars into your personalities ( Whose been smoking the exotics now? :shock: ) My barber has a T-shirt on the wall with the Cella advert, every time I see it Ithink of Olly . He caught me smiling and looking at it as you and Ol had me pissing myself the night before. Try explaining to a Sicilian barber that you're a member of a shaving forum, and one of the members has an avatar that is an Italian shave soap. Could feel my voice getting softer and more mumbly as the explanation went on. He looked at me like a care in the community candidate. :oops: :oops:
You would suit a hat,glasses and a 'tache though.

Best to you,yours and the wean.

rangers62 said:
You would suit a hat,glasses and a 'tache though.

Now that's easy enough. Don't ask me why but I have this shot I took of myself with my (then) new camera back in 2004. :lol:

Attachments

• Resize of 2004-06-23 004a.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom