Internet identity - a discusssion

Now don't laugh.

Saga have a web site. Yes, I joined. You will have trouble finding me there. I float anonymously among the old timers.
It's an interesting website that enables the exchange of information on a huge variety of topics. It also has a soapbox and debate forum. They are bear pits! No faint hearts are allowed there.

In my naive early days I challenged the principle of anonymity. I argued that it created people who simply didn't exist in real life. It lead to hurtful things being said that nobody would dream of saying face to face. I said that on the internet I treated people and said things which I truly meant. I try to assume people can see and know me. I don't like the idea of having a cloak of invisibility. That leads to some strange, unpredictable and sometimes hurtful, behaviour.

When I expressed these views on saga I was howled down. And for attacking silly names and avatars. I went undercover. And created a second personality. If you can't beat 'em.....

I've grown up now. No point in being the only one in step.

So to enjoy the fun of the internet I don't grumble about the internet identity issue any more. I just do my own thing.

The photo I am afraid, is me. Fido was my real nickname as a boy. And I have no wish to hide.

I am really sad that the internet operates the way it does. In some ways it shows us a devastating side of human nature. There are real dangers about openness because there are some really awful people around. But to give in to it and to alter our behaviour has handed a victory to the cheats and bullies.

Sites like facebook provide an opportunity for those who do not wish to remain anonymous. But that's another story.

Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Fido said:
I argued that it created people who simply didn't exist in real life.
Anyone else have any thoughts about this?

Absolutely.
SirPrize exists nowhere outside these portals, he is an alter-ego - and an elegant, cultivated and erudite mask that I use to hide my rather lumpen self.
There is nothing delusional about any this - I know precisely who and what I am and so do my friends - SP is merely what one might call an Internet tool.
Fun - innit?

SAGA

Sex
And
Games for the
Aged

My late grandfather and his buddies were into CB radio. Flatfish was a handle I was given even though I wasn't into CB radio. The area where I used to live was a good place for catching flatfish. Can't stand eating flatfish. I did like sailing on top of the water where they lived though.

SirPrize said:
Absolutely.
SirPrize exists nowhere outside these portals, he is an alter-ego - and an elegant, cultivated and erudite mask that I use to hide my rather lumpen self.
There is nothing delusional about any this - I know precisely who and what I am and so do my friends - SP is merely what one might call an Internet tool.
Fun - innit?

Anton: NO!

Say it aint so!

Penguin was my CB handle but thats another story.

One of the best things about the internet is that true anonymity does not truly exsist, everything is traceable, to a point and this does mean that the more. It creates a hearding mentality as well IE a shaving forum full of like minded people.

The upshot of this is that some nasty aspects of society that used to go under the counter and be untraceable are now fully traceable. Pedophilia is the best one, and i say this by the fact that these people use the internet thinking they are anonymous but infact are very easilly tracked down and brought to justice, some people might think the internet is making this disgusting habbit more common place, its not its only allowing these people to be caught more easily and for that I am grateful.

I hope this makes sense, but I have to go and open the shop now

Remember never put anything on the internet that you wouldnt put on the back of a postcard.

I regulary hold forth on the Guido Fawkes (order-order) site about the inadequacies of the Government...and life in general...with a regular change of soubriquet.

There can be some appalling contributions but also some which are very incisive, witty (nay, extremely cutting) and thought provoking and I think that user anonymity simply allows complete freedom of expression in the blogosphere.

Meanwhile, back in the genteel world of shaving................

:?

Blyth Spirit said:
I think that user anonymity simply allows complete freedom of expression in the blogosphere.

But that's the whole thing - you are not anonymous online, the best you can ever be is multiply pseudonymous - and given time, anyone could track you down from your internet personae - it's not required to have any massive elite hacker skills to do so. All your pseudonyms & personae do is slow that down slightly.

No doubt most members here have sides to their personalities or views that they wish to keep secret from others, so they don't discuss them. This is just the same as in real life. I get the impression that Fido doesn't like the anonymous nature of the internet because he can't fully get to know anyone. Making a true friend online is not easy. I count many of you guys as friends but I would not expect you to drop everything to help me if I was in trouble. That's the job of 'real' friends with relationships made face-to-face and over time. We are sharing ideas and banter, but it is not the same as sharing experiences. Perhaps knowing what each other look like would help (e.g. at work when putting a face to someone you phone regularly helps the relationship), but it is still not the same as actually meeting somebody. Perhaps we need this TSR Get-Together quite badly?! :D

hunnymonster said:
Blyth Spirit said:
I think that user anonymity simply allows complete freedom of expression in the blogosphere.

But that's the whole thing - you are not anonymous online, the best you can ever be is multiply pseudonymous - and given time, anyone could track you down from your internet personae - it's not required to have any massive elite hacker skills to do so. All your pseudonyms & personae do is slow that down slightly.

I accept your point. Everyone is traceable and accountable in this dystopian 1984 Big Brother world. That said, my interpretation of anonymity implies that I am not publishing my name, address et cetera for any nutter to harrass me or mine on a personal basis. I don't and wouldn't harrass anyone else and I don't want it done to me.

As long as the contributions and posts are legal, not unduly defamatory (politicians excepted ;) ) or dishonest then anonimity/discretion is a good thing to promote free and spirited exchange without fear of intimidation by persons unknown.

Or something like that...

Pig Cat said:
No doubt most members here have sides to their personalities or views that they wish to keep secret from others, so they don't discuss them. This is just the same as in real life. I get the impression that Fido doesn't like the anonymous nature of the internet because he can't fully get to know anyone. Making a true friend online is not easy. I count many of you guys as friends but I would not expect you to drop everything to help me if I was in trouble. That's the job of 'real' friends with relationships made face-to-face and over time. We are sharing ideas and banter, but it is not the same as sharing experiences. Perhaps knowing what each other look like would help (e.g. at work when putting a face to someone you phone regularly helps the relationship), but it is still not the same as actually meeting somebody. Perhaps we need this TSR Get-Together quite badly?! :D

very well put Adam ;)

...mmm
this is the only place on 'tinternet i interact with peeps and because we all share a common interest i feel at home as it were.
none of that twittering facebooky beebo shite for me.
i am myself on here as is (i'd say) everyone of the rest of you wierdos :lol:
do i count some of you as mates, in a way i suppose i do.
i've PM'd various people in the past and had good chats with them, as i'm sure the rest of you have.
behind the scenes as it were.
would we all get on if we met in person?
probably not, some will some won't
i know the ones who i'd hit it off with

as for photos :lol: i've got a face for radio

Fido said:
sonny said:
Good topic. Fido, are you in favor of ID Cards?

No. The money would be better spent elsewhere.

OK how about in theory, if there was enough money available not to affect other services? Personally I used to be pro, but am gradually changing my view. I think partly I've thought about it since the BNP's presence has increased and can't help but think how an even less savoury government than we have now came in to power.

Pig Cat said:
OK how about in theory, if there was enough money available not to affect other services? Personally I used to be pro, but am gradually changing my view. I think partly I've thought about it since the BNP's presence has increased and can't help but think how an even less savoury government than we have now came in to power.

Has the BNP increased in presence in your area? What is it about this present government that is unsavoury or even remotely comparable?

antdad said:
Pig Cat said:

Has the BNP increased in presence in your area? What is it about this present government that is unsavoury or even remotely comparable?

Don't know if it's increased in Suffolk but I'm told here was traditionally the headquarters. I'm just generally aware of a rise in media presence at least. Perhaps it comes from Gr*ffin being on Question Time.

I was being a little facetious about our present government. I was anticipating the reaction of my comment about the unsavoury BNP to be that we've already got a rather unsavoury government at the moment, so I got in there first!

Just for info, I'm happy to leave things here as a conversation on this subject could get rather heated. :shock:

I work on the assumption that my every move on the internet is traceable, if anyone is sufficiently bothered, and that doesn't cramp my style one jot. Given my rather unremarkable pattern of net usage, it would irritate me a great deal if anybody could be bothered, mind you, in much the same way as I detest the proliferation of CCTV cameras and the prospect of identity cards, but then again I have some old fashioned attitudes about the state being a servant of the people, not a master.

Here, I am pseudonymous mostly because everyone else is, though I've happily given my real identity to people who have been good enough to send me soap samples, make me a shaving brush, etc etc. I get the impression that we're a pretty benign lot at TSR, but of course I might have got that horribly wrong :? The Arrowhead pseudonym is the same one that I used to go by on the Sagittarius archery bulletin board (where it makes some sense), and I've recycled it because I just can't be arsed to try and keep track of a whole lot of online identities.

On a tenuously related topic, one thing which is on my mind at the moment, because it's driving my wife to distraction, is the business of passwords. Her work as a librarian requires her to remember several strong passwords, and to change them at regular intervals. For instance, to take a 20p fine from a borrower, she has to log onto a terminal with a username and password every time; to access the catalogue it's a different one, and so on. This strikes me as a preposterous productivity killer, and frequently leaves her distressed when she forgets which one to use. Add to this the passwords for Amazon, online email, Facebook etc. and there's a real problem. I think I may have made some headway on this by suggesting a system for generating memorable strong passwords: I certainly hope so. Does anyone else struggle with this, or shall I tell her that she's on her own?

Back
Top Bottom