Flag watch.

Rik said:
soapalchemist said:
RB I'm going to respond to your question to Spandex, as I suspect you can Google soccer and find out what it is. :lol:
As an Irish person myself, I wouldn't say I'm particularly patriotic. But I do actually feel sorry for English people that their flag has come to symbolise fascism in the minds of many. Thereby leaving them with no national symbol that they can be proud of in an unashamed way - I mean no symbol that doesn't have connotations of fascism. (Apart from Bovril/Marmite.....and look what's happened to Marmite.....good on them for telling the BNP to get their product off their promotional stuff).
So to me, the Cross of St. David is a very ambiguous symbol, as just like the attempt on Marmite, it has been co-opted by what I hope is a minority........

And I see Hunny has now explained the soccer thing fully. :D

FFS - the swastika is a fascist flag. What a patronising post and I'm not even bloody English. :roll:

There you go fella; it took someone from outside this green and prosperous (well until labour got in) land to point out the totally lame, limp wristed, spineless anti British fervour that has been allowed to take hold and ferment not only in the houses of power but also into our schools.

The rather small percentage of small minded bigots that use our flag on their literature are vastly outnumbered by these people who for years have devalued and lauded the so called fascist or old Empire affiliation with the Union Jack.

This has actually done as much if not more harm in propagating the BNP/NF drivel than they could have done themselves a thousand fold and has more than likely resulted in many people joining them as a result.

The disturbing thing is, until the national flag can be flown outside our schools, council offices, town centres, etc etc without these oxygen thieving, treason whispering, scaremongering wasters strengthening these notions, were playing straight into their hands.

As for Empires, we were not the first and defiantly haven’t been the last.

Hope nothing has been lost in translation, im going for a shave............

moodymick said:
Rik said:
Just because a minority of wankers - left wing or right, I don't care - use the flag (with hundreds of years of history behind it) doesn't mean that it's suddenly been somehow tainted for an entire nation or around the world. If you see the Union Jack and think 'Fascists' then your understanding of the world at large perhaps needs examined.

Yeah, I kinda agree here!

The problem is that for too many years middle class liberal multi-culturalist guardianista's and trotskites wiped their arse on the flag and hence it was as no surprise that it was picked up by extremists of a different flavour.

This has left your average person in the street in a cleft stick situation - bow to the left and deny your rightful heritage or display it in an act of national pride and be accused of bigotry or of being a xenophobic little englander. Why are our leaders so scared of nation pride?

That’s exactly what I meant.... :lol:

Jeltz said:
As I said its primarily the media that perpetuate this view with their "Time to claim back the cross" articles etc

In the bad old days when right wing groups aligned themselves with supporting England they adopted the flag of convenience, couple that with the BNP hijacking St Georges day and you may indeed have a perception albeit a false one.

As soon as football and supporting England became popular it was over. As long as there is a flag selling shyster hoping to make a fast buck before every soccer tournament or match it will remain that way. I wouldn't give the media any credit.

It's funny this, cos the cross on the English flag is actually representative of Christianity. So there's religion thrown into the melting pot of this radioactive thread.

My work here is done :D

cheese_dave said:
It's funny this, cos the cross on the English flag is actually representative of Christianity. So there's religion thrown into the melting pot of this radioactive thread.

My work here is done :D

Born British, English by the grace of God ;)

The 'St George' bit is too Christian for me . . . I prefer it being linked to the Old Germanic / Norse folk tale of Sigurd of the Volsungs who's 'rune' was Nyd which is a cross - often written in red.

Still, for fun I refer to it as the Crusader flag.

Rik said:
Just because a minority of wankers - left wing or right, I don't care - use the flag (with hundreds of years of history behind it) doesn't mean that it's suddenly been somehow tainted for an entire nation or around the world. If you see the Union Jack and think 'Fascists' then your understanding of the world at large perhaps needs examined.

It's like hearing 'Stairway to Heaven' and thinking Rolf Harris instead of Zeppelin. Not that I'm suggested Rolf is a fascist.

I don't even know why I'm getting so self righteous about this topic anyway.

Fly the flag if you want; or don't. If you don't like football you're a poof and that's ok too. ;)

NO NO NO. Not Rolf Harris. That's just wrong. Tie me Kangaroo Down - yes, 2 little boys - fine but not Stairway to Heaven. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. :cry: :cry:

Back
Top Bottom