Flag watch.

soapalchemist said:
RB I'm going to respond to your question to Spandex, as I suspect you can Google soccer and find out what it is. :lol:
As an Irish person myself, I wouldn't say I'm particularly patriotic. But I do actually feel sorry for English people that their flag has come to symbolise fascism in the minds of many. Thereby leaving them with no national symbol that they can be proud of in an unashamed way - I mean no symbol that doesn't have connotations of fascism. (Apart from Bovril/Marmite.....and look what's happened to Marmite.....good on them for telling the BNP to get their product off their promotional stuff).
So to me, the Cross of St. David is a very ambiguous symbol, as just like the attempt on Marmite, it has been co-opted by what I hope is a minority........

And I see Hunny has now explained the soccer thing fully. :D

FFS - the swastika is a fascist flag. What a patronising post and I'm not even bloody English. :roll:

RB73 said:
spandexcodpiece said:
Tony_B said:
SWMBO put our St Georges flag up yesterday and it will stay up until England win the World Cup this year :roll:
Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear! I suppose you realise Tony that whilst you have your flag up, your property has been devalued by approx. 50% and none of your neighbours will be able to sell their houses until you and I daresay one or two others around you have taken them down again. And it's got absolutely nothing to do with patriotism!

All the best,

spandex.. :p

Don't get that, could you explain fella.
I don't think I could do that here on the forum RB73!! I would more than likely get myself in to a whole heap of trouble. Besides, I'm really not brave enough. Somebody else might have a go at translation though! As far as I'm concerned - 's'nuff said

spandex.. ;)
soapalchemist said:
Thank God I'm not alone. You may or may not be surprised to hear that I too lack interest in football. And what I find really really annoying are women who sit around the table on a night out talking to all the men about football - leaving me with no-one at all to talk to about nappy rash, recipies, knitting and all the things that fascinate me. ;) My eyes literally do visably glaze over when the conversation turns to soccer.
Although I have been known to go to Hennessy's in Birmingham when Ireland was doing well in the world cup :oops:

What’s this soccer thingy?

To say that you, as an individual, feel sorry for approx 40million people because of their flag. That's patronising even if you're the Secretary General of the U.N. At least you've got the flag right this time.

soapalchemist said:
I'm hardly alone in believing that the Cross of St. George has been co-opted by the far right.

You might believe it but it's not widely believed, go ask the NF what flag they've actually adopted, they're only in Solihull.

200px-British_National_Front_logo.png

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.national-front.org.uk/Images/march3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.national-front.org.uk/march2009.htm&usg=__dH_OG3DSJZ0A5rZlsHJqju8gEe8=&h=480&w=640&sz=21&hl=en&start=73&sig2=6DdSUmgLp9E5zqUN_DNSeg&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=pMyjShW85zb0DM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3DNational%2BFront%2BMarch%26start%3D72%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26ndsp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=pqvZS9ayAcmAOKGbiL0P" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... mAOKGbiL0P</a><!-- m -->

There is still a perception that the St George Cross has been adopted by the far right. I agree that the organisations themselves have tended to use the Union Flag but none the less and partly because of the media that perception exists.

So in summary you don't have to be a fascist to fly the flag.
article-1163842-040502E3000005DC-499_468x345.jpg

Just because a minority of wankers - left wing or right, I don't care - use the flag (with hundreds of years of history behind it) doesn't mean that it's suddenly been somehow tainted for an entire nation or around the world. If you see the Union Jack and think 'Fascists' then your understanding of the world at large perhaps needs examined.

It's like hearing 'Stairway to Heaven' and thinking Rolf Harris instead of Zeppelin. Not that I'm suggested Rolf is a fascist.

I don't even know why I'm getting so self righteous about this topic anyway.

Fly the flag if you want; or don't. If you don't like football you're a poof and that's ok too. ;)

Rik said:
Just because a minority of wankers - left wing or right, I don't care - use the flag (with hundreds of years of history behind it) doesn't mean that it's suddenly been somehow tainted for an entire nation or around the world. If you see the Union Jack and think 'Fascists' then your understanding of the world at large perhaps needs examined.

It's like hearing 'Stairway to Heaven' and thinking Rolf Harris instead of Zeppelin. Not that I'm suggested Rolf is a fascist.

I don't even know why I'm getting so self righteous about this topic anyway.

Fly the flag if you want; or don't. If you don't like football you're a poof and that's ok too. ;)

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIt !!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops:

Rik said:

That's me!!

There is a verse that whenever I hear it I think of Rolf!

"In a tree by the brook
There's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are
Misgiven "

When the Rolfmeister was on Top of The Pops crucifying this song, after this verse, he called 'Miss Given' onto the stage with his wobble board. I will never forget it for as long as I live. And the Led Zep classic has been ruined forever.

Rik said:

Yeah, I kinda agree here!

The problem is that for too many years middle class liberal multi-culturalist guardianista's and trotskites wiped their arse on the flag and hence it was as no surprise that it was picked up by extremists of a different flavour.

This has left your average person in the street in a cleft stick situation - bow to the left and deny your rightful heritage or display it in an act of national pride and be accused of bigotry or of being a xenophobic little englander. Why are our leaders so scared of nation pride?

Back
Top Bottom