August Aquisitions

I didn’t realise they had discontinued it! Well that’s disappointing…..
In my experience - what @culcreuch says is correct, unfortunately. I got one tub from ECI in Granada in January 20 - and that was only after hassling them to go check the stockroom. The only place online that I have seen it still offered is -

That's expensive - then you have postage on top - also, they don't say if they will even engage with the shit-show of sending to the UK.

Yours - I.

My blind buy mystery Single Ring has just arrived and I'm very happy to say that the whole kit is actually in much better condition than I expected. The case will just need a little dusting out and the razor, little more than a quick scrub with Peek. I'm hoping not to remove some of the patina that has caught as I find that quite attractive and part of the charm of vintage.

AM-JKLVnljPQSa9oGz88ZiiL175f3gBlKbm9qGa0it3FJd__9qHF_RWJRhdYYDcYJT9TvVOvPaDCzwhj079kdesXpRUHyivnKFLVrtXTfPbyXhm2g4oHwGWPcj51hihzVIMwVP_Y0rukniDpUuMPYjDs4NabTA=w900

Now, the detective work ...

Serial number is 740294, which after some deep reading the best guess is 1906.

One blade in the razor, which has not caused the actual head any issues. I thought it was a Feather as the tarnish obscured the first letter, but in the SHARP box are seven unused Heather razor blades. Nothing I can find on the internet but the style puts them 1930s or 1940s as my best guess. There is also one Gillette Blue in there which has a date code P4 (so, 1945) ... so, best guess is that this razor was last used in the 1940s, at least 1945.

@TobyC

My blind buy mystery Single Ring has just arrived and I'm very happy to say that the whole kit is actually in much better condition than I expected. The case will just need a little dusting out and the razor, little more than a quick scrub with Peek. I'm hoping not to remove some of the patina that has caught as I find that quite attractive and part of the charm of vintage.

AM-JKLVnljPQSa9oGz88ZiiL175f3gBlKbm9qGa0it3FJd__9qHF_RWJRhdYYDcYJT9TvVOvPaDCzwhj079kdesXpRUHyivnKFLVrtXTfPbyXhm2g4oHwGWPcj51hihzVIMwVP_Y0rukniDpUuMPYjDs4NabTA=w900

Now, the detective work ...

Serial number is 740294, which after some deep reading the best guess is 1906.

One blade in the razor, which has not caused the actual head any issues. I thought it was a Feather as the tarnish obscured the first letter, but in the SHARP box are seven unused Heather razor blades. Nothing I can find on the internet but the style puts them 1930s or 1940s as my best guess. There is also one Gillette Blue in there which has a date code P4 (so, 1945) ... so, best guess is that this razor was last used in the 1940s, at least 1945.

@TobyC
English? What's on the bottom of the box? Did you date it by B&B info, the US numbers on the chart are useless.

Looks great, that's all that would matter to me, put her to work!

English? What's on the bottom of the box? Did you date it by B&B info, the US numbers on the chart are useless.

Looks great, that's all that would matter to me, put her to work!
Bottom of the box is completely blank. Absolutely no markings anywhere else on the razor, other than the Br.Pat.No.28763 of 02 around the ring at the end of the handle.

It did puzzle me that I have what appears to be an American serial number - I was expecting to see an E number. I cannot seen an E (even faded) anywhere on the inner barrel and I've gone over and over and over it. So, yes, rough date chart, scores of pages on the English Single Ring and scores of pages on the (American) Single Ring ... and my number falls in the 1906 box and in line with numbers and dates in owners lists.

I have no reason to think that the inner bannel is not part of the original razor - the patina on all parts look consistent.

Indeed! I'm out of Peek (and think my Elsterglanz being a diminishing abrasive paste will be a little too harsh, initially) so tube on order ... it'll get a clean-up and disinfect then. The box will get dusted out and popped into a business card box for safe keeping; the razor will drop onto my "premium" rack, along with all manner of early Gillettes and will give me great shaves, I'm sure.

Bottom of the box is completely blank. Absolutely no markings anywhere else on the razor, other than the Br.Pat.No.28763 of 02 around the ring at the end of the handle.

It did puzzle me that I have what appears to be an American serial number - I was expecting to see an E number. I cannot seen an E (even faded) anywhere on the inner barrel and I've gone over and over and over it. So, yes, rough date chart, scores of pages on the English Single Ring and scores of pages on the (American) Single Ring ... and my number falls in the 1906 box and in line with numbers and dates in owners lists.

I have no reason to think that the inner bannel is not part of the original razor - the patina on all parts look consistent.

Indeed! I'm out of Peek (and think my Elsterglanz being a diminishing abrasive paste will be a little too harsh, initially) so tube on order ... it'll get a clean-up and disinfect then. The box will get dusted out and popped into a business card box for safe keeping; the razor will drop onto my "premium" rack, along with all manner of early Gillettes and will give me great shaves, I'm sure.
1906 it is then, and a great shaver for sure. I can't tell about the top of the cap, but the rest of the silver looks intact.

Back
Top Bottom