Acquisitions - October 2021

Took a Saturday punt for pennies,
A NOS Schick band Razor with 6 NOS Band carts - Mad or what, i have never seen one of these, although i have used the Techmatic band razor which is OK. The Schick is supposed to be better than the Gillette.

schick Band razor.jpg
A bit info from an old B&B post.

"when King Gillette started making and selling his razor and blades business was very slow. It occurred to him that selling a razor was a one time affair but selling the blades happened many hundreds of times for each razor. So he started selling his razors at very low prices. Often at a loss. But his blade sales skyrocketed him into a millionaire. Most razor/blade makers followed his wise move. And many continue that practice today.
The Band blades were so good that Schick was losing money. He already had plenty of money making blades and the life expectancy of the Band blades was so extraordinary that it would kill the sales of all his other blades. Hence the premature death of the Band Razor and blades.

The Band was silenced. Last post was played."

another poster added

"The Schick Band is rated by me as one of the best razors I own.

I am currently on Blade #5, Shave 97 and still going strong. Almost all BBS."

Apparently 97 shaves from one cart! Time will tell:eek:

and an Old type fitted with a RR UFO handle.
old type RR UfO.jpg

Last edited:
A NOS Schick band Razor with 6 NOS Band carts - Mad or what, i have never seen one of these, although i have used the Techmatic band razor which is OK. The Schick is suppossed to be better then the Gillette.

View attachment 78502

"when King Gillette started making and selling his razor and blades business was very slow. It occurred to him that selling a razor was a one time affair but selling the blades happened many hundreds of times for each razor. So he started selling his razors at very low prices. Often at a loss. But his blade sales skyrocketed him into a millionaire. Most razor/blade makers followed his wise move. And many continue that practice today.
The Band blades were so good that Schick was losing money. He already had plenty of money making blades and the life expectancy of the Band blades was so extraordinary that it would kill the sales of all his other blades. Hence the premature death of the Band Razor and blades.

another poster added

View attachment 78503
I saw one of those Schick razors with the blades online the order day, looks cool, will be interested to hear how it shaves

A NOS Schick band Razor with 6 NOS Band carts - Mad or what, i have never seen one of these, although i have used the Techmatic band razor which is OK. The Schick is supposed to be better than the Gillette.

View attachment 78502

another poster added

View attachment 78503

I seen those when I was on etsy looking for a schick injector razor. Nearly clicked buy untill I noticed they were ribbon carts and not injectors. That should last you a while though with 97 shaves from a cartridge. (y) :)

I just popped into the local Asda supermarket, saw these for the first time ever, @ £1.89 for a tuck of 10, thought they would be worth a look-see!
Yea I posted these a few months back in my local asda but from what I remember off the top of my head a member on b&b forum checked his local and they didn't have it, I assume there's stock in the bigger stores

@Scorpio93 I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Cremo. I also got some in TK Maxx recently but I can't decide if I like it. I love the smell (weirdly) and it really is creamy. However it wants next to no water, give your brush a good squeeze or shake otherwise it'll be like bubble bath. I came away with the impression that despite its apparent creamy slickness, the shave performance was not as good as I thought. It could be that I've just over hydrated it each time though so I hope you find it good.

s-l1600.jpg

Arrived ...

... and compared side by side to vintage Culmak, which I used last night and thought that this would be a rebrand of, it's not the same. I do, however, get notes of very light citrus, lightly herbal, something woody like cedar or sandalwood and a bit musky. I'm wondering if this is a plain packaging brand of Cussons Imperial Leather. I have a much older Boots shaving soap, which is most certainly (and known to be) Yardley.

I have a vintage bottle of Imperial Leather aftershave coming soon, so will be able to check one against the other. From vintage Imperial Leather soap that I've had in the past, the scent is light(er) in the soap.

s-l1600.jpg

Arrived ...

... and compared side by side to vintage Culmak, which I used last night and thought that this would be a rebrand of, it's not the same. I do, however, get notes of very light citrus, lightly herbal, something woody like cedar or sandalwood and a bit musky. I'm wondering if this is a plain packaging brand of Cussons Imperial Leather. I have a much older Boots shaving soap, which is most certainly (and known to be) Yardley.

I have a vintage bottle of Imperial Leather aftershave coming soon, so will be able to check one against the other. From vintage Imperial Leather soap that I've had in the past, the scent is light(er) in the soap.
Boots operated their own manufacturing division until around 4 years ago, I would imagine that was made by them in Beeston , there was definitely a shave soap line there. The facility still exists and is operated now by someone else.

Back
Top Bottom