Acquisitions - October 2021

Boots operated their own manufacturing division until around 4 years ago, I would imagine that was made by them in Beeston , there was definitely a shave soap line there. The facility still exists and is operated now by someone else.

Neat! Cheers! Beeston, Nottinghamshire I guess.

By curious coincidence the Imperial Leather bowl and this Boots bowl have entirely interchangeable parts. The base is exactly the same while the lids have slightly different profiles, but are exactly the same width and screw function. No doubt made by a common manufacturer and I'm joining the dots to make the wrong picture. I initially pondered that it might be Culmak as they also, curiously, stop short of a round figure at 95g.

The scent of this bowl is really nice - it's certainly a subtle citrus woody scent. It'll play nice with a good number of aftershaves that I have, from Denim to Imperial Leather to Aramis. I couldn't wait, so frothed up a test lather on my face and it is pure vintage gold. I'm going to enjoy this one :D

What era though? There is no ingredient list on the box, which I think is significant.

Neat! Cheers! Beeston, Nottinghamshire I guess.

By curious coincidence the Imperial Leather bowl and this Boots bowl have entirely interchangeable parts. The base is exactly the same while the lids have slightly different profiles, but are exactly the same width and screw function. No doubt made by a common manufacturer and I'm joining the dots to make the wrong picture. I initially pondered that it might be Culmak as they also, curiously, stop short of a round figure at 95g.

The scent of this bowl is really nice - it's certainly a subtle citrus woody scent. It'll play nice with a good number of aftershaves that I have, from Denim to Imperial Leather to Aramis. I couldn't wait, so frothed up a test lather on my face and it is pure vintage gold. I'm going to enjoy this one :D

What era though? There is no ingredient list on the box, which I think is significant.
Yes Beeston Nottinghamshire.

The way it was arranged was Boots Contract Manufacturing did the manufacturing for Boots the Chemist , however in addition they did do manufacturing for other people , so it is possible they were manufacturing the Imperial Leather one for Cussons , either that or as you say they were just using a common packaging manufacturer.

I know from working for a company supplying them ingredients , they always took quality ingredients and were very capable.

I think approx early 2000's would have been when ingredients started to be listed on that type of product

Thanks for that, Russ. The product instinctually feels 1990s. I'm wracking my memory for what was on the shelves back then as I frequented Boots quite a bit in the early '90s as I had a thing for one of the make-up girls :p ... shaving back then, it was a Wilko Retractor and whatever hand soap was on the basin in whatever bathroom I found myself in. I was a tad transient in those days.

Thanks for that, Russ. The product instinctually feels 1990s. I'm wracking my memory for what was on the shelves back then as I frequented Boots quite a bit in the early '90s as I had a thing for one of the make-up girls :p ... shaving back then, it was a Wilko Retractor and whatever hand soap was on the basin in whatever bathroom I found myself in. I was a tad transient in those days.
It does have a sort of 80/90's look about it. I would hazzard 80s possibly.

Good haul! The Wilkinson Sword on the left is the current version - slightly older versions could be over-tightened and broke the thread. Yours has a weighted handle now. Good shaver, that. Yes, the Slim Twist and the Knack (to use the American term) ... and a nice 1960s/1970s Tech. Classic. Enjoy!
bit confused just to clarify is one called the slim twist and the other called the knack?

yea sgot three techs now, two like the one in the pic and a ball end tech which im yet to use

EC3882F8-284B-4E11-B9E9-BB17974E788B.jpegA first of a few new arrivals, another Yaqi brush, apparently there’s a defect but I can’t spot one other than the logo saying Dewey on the bottom rather than Yaqi. Which only confirms what we all know that they supply many other brush/shaving companies.
lovely heavy metal base with a 22mm synthetic knot. All for less than £7.

View attachment 78684A first of a few new arrivals, another Yaqi brush, apparently there’s a defect but I can’t spot one other than the logo saying Dewey on the bottom rather than Yaqi. Which only confirms what we all know that they supply many other brush/shaving companies.
lovely heavy metal base with a 22mm synthetic knot. All for less than £7.

All hail Yaqi.
I've eyed the brush myself. I presume it's not a Plissoft fibre, do you know what it is, is it G4? What is the glue bump like?

Back
Top Bottom