Acquisitions 3rd to 9th June

A C.V Heljestrand MK31 in like-new condition, a Dovo travelstrop with cowhide/Linen and a puck of MWF in ceramic bowl.
I'm very happy with that MK31! I haven't found out whether the scales are bone, ivory or cellulose/plastic. My magnifying glass at home will tell me more I hope.

Marcel said:
A C.V Heljestrand MK31 in like-new condition, a Dovo travelstrop with cowhide/Linen and a puck of MWF in ceramic bowl.
I'm very happy with that MK31! I haven't found out whether the scales are bone, ivory or cellulose/plastic. My magnifying glass at home will tell me more I hope.

I bought one from Mikael on BST and he described the scales as Ivory, regardless the MK 31 is my favourite straight in my collection. Enjoy your haul of goodies.

Scott.

Thanks! That would be the first ivory object in my house. I believe these were also made with bone scales and imitation ivory. As far as I can tell it's a natural material as I also have a MK 8 with imitation ivory.

Marcel said:
Thanks! That would be the first ivory object in my house. I believe these were also made with bone scales and imitation ivory. As far as I can tell it's a natural material as I also have a MK 8 with imitation ivory.

There is a test you can carry out using a hot needle - use Google if you want to try it out but be careful where you do the test in case the scales are celluloid.

L'oreal post shave balm fancied giving it a go as it was on offer in superdrug for £3.99. A butterscotch rooney brush the knots a bit of a shedder but doesn't matter as it was going to be replaced anyway and a canadian old spice mug which i had to buy as it was with the brush and seller didn't want to split....
72671453-e151-42b1-9142-ce66c02aa497_zps9d3b9e6d.jpg

rjOWUU7.jpg

I was out for a walk today and came across "The Soul Barber Room" in Finnieston/Yorkhill selling the Pinaud VIBR 177ml for £10 - not bad for the UK. It smells pretty good too.

New design S Woodseats glazed suribachi.... Bigger and better than before... Still to road test but will report

n1vlo said:
New design S Woodseats glazed suribachi.... Bigger and better than before... Still to road test but will report

Looking good.
Didn't you say Steve was designing a suribachi scuttle (instead of bowl)? Or is this a different one?
Looking forward to your verdict. What are the dimensions? It's difficult to tell from the photo.

Northam Saint said:
n1vlo said:

That's VERY nice.

Yeah, it really is good looking. I can't help but think what great contrast would be between the white lather and blue finish.

Hmmm, I will have to look into shipping charges, just for the hell of it. Those would make some nice gifts.

Congrats on that addition to the arsenal.

Martin

UKRob said:
Marcel said:

There is a test you can carry out using a hot needle - use Google if you want to try it out but be careful where you do the test in case the scales are celluloid.

Upon closer inspection, I'm pretty sure the scales are real ivory. I won't be using the hot needle as I don't want to do any damage.

Back
Top Bottom