who's your team?

SuperChrome said:
Man U here... My uncle got me into them as a nipper when Ryan Giggs was a youth so he became my idol when I was into playing football.

I've lived in and around London all my life and I have a big soft spot for Tottenham and deep down I know my supporting life would be so much easier (would be able to vist more home games) and I'd get a lot less grief if they were my team but Man United is in my heart. I follow Dagenham & Redbridge too (League Two) as I lived near their ground some years ago.

Without wanting to get in an argument that is why a lot of clubs hate UTD and their fans because of the amount of glory hunters from down south.

A stereotype maybe but it's often there

Al H said:
SuperChrome said:
Man U here... My uncle got me into them as a nipper when Ryan Giggs was a youth so he became my idol when I was into playing football.

I've lived in and around London all my life and I have a big soft spot for Tottenham and deep down I know my supporting life would be so much easier (would be able to vist more home games) and I'd get a lot less grief if they were my team but Man United is in my heart. I follow Dagenham & Redbridge too (League Two) as I lived near their ground some years ago.

Without wanting to get in an argument that is why a lot of clubs hate UTD and their fans because of the amount of glory hunters from down south.

A stereotype maybe but it's often there

SWMBO's cousin's husband is a Man U "supporter", born in Cardiff. He was spouting off one day how great they were, so I asked him how many times he had been to Old Trafford, answer NIL ! So how many times had he seen them play, "NIL, only on T.V." I've seen Man U more than he has and I support Southampton.

I just don't bother commenting anymore, and he doesn't seem to comment much too. All I see is some drivel on Twitter from time to time.

I too have been to old Trafford more than 99% of UTD fans.

But as I just told someone else football is more emotive than politics and I can't be bothered to get in an argument

We support we support we support our local team

We supporrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt our local team.

Always a favourite when Liverpool and UTD come to stoke, the irony is its more likely to be scousers and mancs following away

Al H said:

Always a favourite when Liverpool and UTD come to stoke, the irony is its more likely to be scousers and mancs following away

Man Utd fan from Manchester here (there's plenty of us don't you know), brought up supporting United back in our lean years, not entering an argument. I'd simply observe that picking up fans from outside your locale is just one of the things that happens when a club achieves a sustained period of success. Even more so in the Premier League and Champions League era with all the coverage and marketing.

As mentioned, Pompey is my first love - grew up in the area and watched and followed them since the 50s. But also from the 50s had a crush on Man U as my adopted second team. And never been to Old Trafford. I have had wonderful times listening to their matches on radio and watching on TV. Great suffering and joy at times. What has that got to do with anyone else but me? If the entire Chinese nation want to watch Pompey on TV how would that affect me? I'd love it !

Fido said:
As mentioned, Pompey is my first love - grew up in the area and watched and followed them since the 50s. But also from the 50s had a crush on Man U as my adopted second team. And never been to Old Trafford. I have had wonderful times listening to their matches on radio and watching on TV. Great suffering and joy at times. What has that got to do with anyone else but me? If the entire Chinese nation want to watch Pompey on TV how would that affect me? I'd love it !

The problem is much of Premiership has been ruined by Sky and the"big" teams, by means of the money paid for players and the costs involved. This as you know puts pressure on clubs to spend big, which is what affects you as a Portsmouth Supporter. Forget my allegiance and all that sometimes goes with that, but isn't that what has been part of the demise of Portsmouth. Obviously there were other issues there too. I do feel sorry for those older Portsmouth supporters who where born and bred and seen their rise and fall, they are the ones at the end of the day who have paid their money,and basically seen their club screwed over.

The whole Chinese population may of wanted to watch Portsmouth, but I bet they have changed to another Premiership Team now. Much in the same way as kids move teams when someone else is winning. Much in the same way as Season Tickets and revenue drop when a club is relegated.

Port Vale.

Ian

Al H said:

But you live in Shropshire?

Ian

IanM said:
Port Vale.

Ian

Al H said:

Ian

nice try mate :icon_razz::icon_razz:

market drayton on the shropshire / stafford border at staffordshire is about a mile and a half away.

i live closer to the brit than shrewsbury FC nearly 5 miles and crewe by 6 miles.
and watch my local non league team too.

so stoke city are my local team

Al H said:
IanM said:
Port Vale.

Ian

Al H said:

Ian

market drayton on the shropshire / stafford border at staffordshire is about a mile and a half away.

i live closer to the brit than shrewsbury FC nearly 5 miles and crewe by 6 miles.

I had a feeling that might be the case :)

Ian

All the lads i used to knock around with followed loads of teams from various countries, so here's mine

1. Liverpool
2. Dundee Utd
3. Queen of the South - my home town team
4. Barca - first kit i ever had
4. Juventus
5. Bayern Munich

IanM said:
Al H said:
IanM said:
Port Vale.

Ian

Al H said:

Ian

Ian

although i enjoyed the derbies living in drayton i understand the rivalry but dont have personal hatred of the vale, have no need for mickey mouse and soap dodging jokes or get hung up on the bitterness of OVF.

i did get annoyed about 6 years ago when vale had the audacity to charge me £18 to get in the away end to watch a game.

£18 a joke i pay that now to watch premiership football

Al H said:
IanM said:
Al H said:
IanM said:
Port Vale.

Ian

Al H said:

Ian

Ian

although i enjoyed the derbies living in drayton i understand the rivalry but dont have personal hatred of the vale, have no need for mickey mouse and soap dodging jokes or get hung up on the bitterness of OVF.

i did get annoyed about 6 years ago when vale had the audacity to charge me £18 to get in the away end to watch a game.

£18 a joke i pay that now to watch premiership football

I like to see both teams doing well, but my first football match experience was at Vale Park and it stuck with me.

My Dad and his brothers used to watch Stoke AND Vale at alternate weekends! One week Stoke, next week Vale.

I also remember swapping ends at the Vale at half time. On to the cinder track and walk round the pitch to the other end!

Ian

[/quote]

I like to see both teams doing well, but my first football match experience was at Vale Park and it stuck with me.

My Dad and his brothers used to watch Stoke AND Vale at alternate weekends! One week Stoke, next week Vale.

I also remember swapping ends at the Vale at half time. On to the cinder track and walk round the pitch to the other end!

Ian
[/quote]

The same used to be true for Newcastle and Sunderland. Apparently many Newcastle fans wanted Sunderland to win in the '73 cup final and vice versa in '74. I enjoy the banter and rivalry of football but it is sad how tribal it has become.

Back
Top Bottom