What phone are you sporting this year?

[OT]

Friend of mine reminded me that there are now people in the workplace that has never used a rotary phone.
That makes me feel ancient.

That's a good point! I started work at a UK government department in the 1980s just in time to see the last of these rotaries before they were replaced by beige push-button handsets

1950s-bakelite-md4.jpg

^ and the social club was full to overflowing every Friday lunchtime. The other week happened across one of my old ashtrays – lovely looking art-deco things but nowhere near big enough so I used to have three on the go at once. Have to shoehorn it into a SotD photo...

Last edited:
I have an iphone 5s and both the kids have iphones. I like the iphone because I can track the kids using find my iphone. I can also monitor what they are downloading because apple ask if it is ok for them to download. my youngest is 9 and does not have any credit but can ring, text and facetime me, family and friends for free. Her phone cost nothing it is a hand me down. We do have other android devices to get best of both worlds.

Just got a Moto G 3rd Gen and although I'm still getting to grips with it as it's my first smartphone, it works really well and I'm well chuffed with it. £7.50 a month? Happy days....

Ah, rotary phones. I still have a black GPO one at my ex's house that I must bring up soon. When I lived there it was in daily use but it seems it's too old tech nowadays. Will make a grand bookend on some shelves I'm supposed to be making.

This kind:

gpo_phone.jpg

I'm not quite old enough to have used one at work but remember them in the house when I were nobbut a lad. Then came some push button cordless thing with an aerial as long as me leg which seldom worked if you were more than a fart's sniff from the gigantic spaceship of a base unit. Impressed the hell out of me 'til I realised it was about as much good as a waterproof teabag.

I love it in Shaun the Sheep 'cos the Farmer still uses one! He likes his DE an' all....

Last edited:
I'm sure it is, but the screen is too big for me. I've been trying to find a top spec android phone with a 4 inch screen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Aye. I had the same problem upgrading from my Nexus 5. Settled on a Samsung S6. It's not a bad bit of kit - better screen and camera than the Nexus 5 but the pre-installed Samsung bloatware is a PITA.

I'm sure it is, but the screen is too big for me. I've been trying to find a top spec android phone with a 4 inch screen.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

This is why I went for the Z5 Compact, it's pretty much in a field of one. I get what you're saying about Sony and Samsung, but the Z5 software is pretty close to stock and you can easily unlock the bootloader. There's not a desperate number of custom ROMs out the for it yet, but Cyanogen is in development.

Tried all three "smartphone" offerings... iPhone (iOS), Z1/Z3 (Android) & Lumia 920/930 (WindowsPhone) I enjoyed the Windows Phone experience best as I'm not a great app user and dont play games.

Actually gone back to the trusty old Nokia 6210 as it's less of a distraction - It calls, it texts & needs charging once a week... That's good enough for me, though with my ThinkPad I do look like a 90's timewarp!

I'm using a Samsung Note 4 in an Otterbox case purchased with an O2 contract from Amazon for much less than anywhere else..

It's the first phone 'Smartphone' that I've not hacked about with (starting with O2's XDA Orbit and, of course, my beloved HTC HD2). The battery lasts more than a day of moderate use (I'm certain I could make it last a lot longer with root privs) and it's fast enough to do pretty much anything I need to. It's size is a mixed blessing (As was emphasised when I lent it to iPhone using Mum last week) in terms of battery life and how it will peak out of my back pocket if not in a jacket or in a holster on my belt. However, the screen estate enabled me to maintain a web site and to moderately easily utilise my desktop when away.

A trio of side notes:
As I used Amazon to provide the phone and O2 Contract, I could not use O2's insurance (which made selecting a new bank account easy and we went to Nationwide's FlexPlus, which has an annual cost slightly less than O2's insurance)
As it's a Samsung, Operating System updates are somewhat slow (looking forward to finally seeing Marshmallow)
As it has has a stylus, which means I can play with the bundled ArtRage (I haven't found it useful for anything else day-to-day)

Samsung Galaxy S6 pared with Plantronic Voyager Edge.
S6 is best phone I ever had , abusing it every day , and didn't let me down so far.
Only problem is battery life, which is mostly half day, bat every smartphone have this problems.

Back
Top Bottom