What grinds your gears?

Not really gear grinding but continually annoying...
People using singular when they should use plural. Like "There's some things too important." instead of "There are some things..." (Forbes Nov 26)
Trouble is it seems to be getting ever more popular; even TV presenters are doing it. Once you notice it you'll hear it all the time... gears grinding.

Standing in line at the Express ( 10 items or less ) checkout at Morrisons whilst some woman in front unloads a fully laden trolley, putting a checkout divider every few items before paying for and bagging every order and change separately whilst gossiping to the checkout assistant. Right up there with maw, paw and two wains each with a fully laden basket doing their family shopping through what is intended to be a faster service point.

JohnnyO. o/

Standing in line at the Express ( 10 items or less ) checkout at Morrisons whilst some woman in front unloads a fully laden trolley, putting a checkout divider every few items before paying for and bagging every order and change separately whilst gossiping to the checkout assistant. Right up there with maw, paw and two wains each with a fully laden basket doing their family shopping through what is intended to be a faster service point.

JohnnyO. o/
Yea - and I'd bet the real pisser JonnyO is that you are just carrying a basket instead of having a trolley that you could 'accidentally' drive into her heels.

Here's another thing that gets my blood boiling, while waiting in the check out queue behind a Woman who I will guarantee you that by the time the check out girl scans her last item she will then start the futile search for her purse that takes her about 3 minutes to find JESUS FUCKING WEPT, come on now Men we now that we have our card or cash on the ready before he last item is scanned, and as we are on the sbject of Super Market checkouts another stupid idiotic thing that winds me up is the check out Girl asking me would I like a hand with the packing when I have about 4 items, no messing I always say yes and when she smiles at me I keep a straight face and say nothing until she packs them away.

Last edited:
Went to see a show last night and a few things really riled me.
First of all some random girl kept going around trying to sell CD's to people of one of the opening support bands, I politely declined so before she went to a group of lads in the corner she barged past me as if to say "screw you" passively. If she wasn't a lady I would have drop-kicked her in the face so her front teeth were scattered on the floor!

Then on the tube home a bloke got on (presumably pissed from an evening of drinking) and went to sit down next to a woman quietly minding her own business. As the carriage departed the station the bloke lost his balance and collapsed into the lap of the woman who looked visibly annoyed. Now, at this point you'd expect a "sorry love, lost my balance there..." or similar. But no, he just plonked himself into the seat and gave her a death stare. To which this prompted the woman to ask "well aren't you going to apologise for falling on me?"
His reply was "No, I'm not going to apologise as it was the train's movement's fault..."
You should have held on to the bars once the tube carriage was about to move!

Lastly two kids (I saw kids, 25 and under boys I would say) were on the same train home. One put their feet up on the seats, some random bloke got on and said "its not good to put your feet up on the seats, you'll make them dirty".
One of them replied "they'll clean them anyway and its the last train...." Don't treat the trains like its your front room, and how did you know they'll clean them anyway? I don't want to sit on seats someone's dirty stinking feet have been on!

Probably a London thing this, I don't expect to see it anyone else!

Went to see a show last night and a few things really riled me.
First of all some random girl kept going around trying to sell CD's to people of one of the opening support bands, I politely declined so before she went to a group of lads in the corner she barged past me as if to say "screw you" passively. If she wasn't a lady I would have drop-kicked her in the face so her front teeth were scattered on the floor!

Then on the tube home a bloke got on (presumably pissed from an evening of drinking) and went to sit down next to a woman quietly minding her own business. As the carriage departed the station the bloke lost his balance and collapsed into the lap of the woman who looked visibly annoyed. Now, at this point you'd expect a "sorry love, lost my balance there..." or similar. But no, he just plonked himself into the seat and gave her a death stare. To which this prompted the woman to ask "well aren't you going to apologise for falling on me?"
His reply was "No, I'm not going to apologise as it was the train's movement's fault..."
You should have held on to the bars once the tube carriage was about to move!

Lastly two kids (I saw kids, 25 and under boys I would say) were on the same train home. One put their feet up on the seats, some random bloke got on and said "its not good to put your feet up on the seats, you'll make them dirty".
One of them replied "they'll clean them anyway and its the last train...." Don't treat the trains like its your front room, and how did you know they'll clean them anyway? I don't want to sit on seats someone's dirty stinking feet have been on!

Probably a London thing this, I don't expect to see it anyone else!
How come you didn't drop kick their teeth out? Or is that reserved for females?

The stupid bint that rang me on my mobile today regarding my "recent accident that wasn't my fault " !! Soon told her where to go !
I love these calls....

Cold caller : "Hello I'm calling from Microsoft about your unsafe computer"
Me : " Noooooo no no !!! how can this happen, what shall I dooooo am I going to be ID stolen AGAIN!!!!"
Followed by 15 minutes convincing the CC that its all his/her fault, finished with a " Is your mother proud of you conning stupid people" and hanging up.

I once did a complete (well almost) phone survey, using my best Wayne Slob impression, sitting in the garden drinking a cold Cider, taking my own sweet time to ask my wife for the answer to every question, till he eventually got to the "Have you planned for your'e funeral" question, where I suddenly became a manic depressive, and told him in no uncertain terms with a high level of volume , that I had no intention of dying just to keep him in a job, Aaaannnd then I hung up.

I have too much time on my hands to let them win.... far too much ;)

Back
Top Bottom