The World Cup

Smell The Glove said:
Good games today, but not much value to be had betting wise....But wait. David Villa is at evens to score at anytime against Paraguay!
It's as if the bookies are giving away their money! :shock:

Snap it up folks, then you can post what you spend your winnings on in the Acquisitions thread.

That was a good shout Stevie, I didn't take it up this time, but keep them coming!

I had the Argies in the office sweep. Never mind, eh? :lol:

To be honest, I'm a bit late at getting on the Villa bandwagon and am kicking myself, as he is odds on for the golden boot. But I'm hoping that he has a stinker against Germany and that Muller gets on the score sheet. You can get 20-1 on Thomas Muller for the golden boot, he is only 1 goal behind Villa.

I took Germany at 15-1 before the tournament started, so am keeping my fingers crossed for that one. They are down to about 2-1 now.

german-vs-spanish.jpg

'mon the Germans

I started this thread by commenting on the luck involved in football. Yet how often does the cream rise to the top?
Some great football last night. And the only goal is a simple header from a corner. Mind you, it was some header!

And now another great footballing nation can experience the joy that follows winning the world cup for the first time. But who?
I'll be glad when it's over. Now it's Le Tour, and the British Grand Prix. And the Open and the Tests.

That's a very good point about the 'cream' always rising to the top, Fido. Well, more often than not anyway. It illustrates the fact that the England team are nowhere near as good as they think they are, believing their own hype, methinks. The F. A. needs to limit the amount of foreign players within our domestic leagues, this would allow more young English players to come through the youth system to gain full England caps.

Although having said that, look how many foreign born or players of foreign parentage are in the German side, I can think of 6!

Also, when did all this over-the-top hype and ridiculous expectation of the England team start? The first 2 world cups I watched were '86 and '90 and I don't recall this unreasonable expectation of our national side! We need to face facts and stop putting the pressure on them with all the crazy media jingoism, no expectations, just let them play football. Simples! :D

I only managed to catch parts of last night's game, but I saw the goal and it certainly was a bullet of a header by Puyol.
And of the parts that I did see it seemed that Spain were generally in control. I thought Germany looked tired, and maybe they peaked too soon whereas Spain got the tournament off to a slow start.

Financially that result has left me down in total for the whole of the tournament, but it's not too bad. It's not as if the kids actually NEED shoes at the moment, and I quite like eating spaghetti hoops. Honest. :cry:

Howard Webb is the ref for the final. I think he deserves it. It's been a good year for him, he had the Champions League final as well.

From the Guardian:
England's Howard Webb will be the referee for the World Cup final. The 38-year-old from Rotherham has been chosen for the final by Fifa's referees committee.

Webb and his assistants Darren Cann and Michael Mullarkey will officiate in the final on Sunday between Spain and Holland at Johannesburg's Soccer City.

He will become the first Englishman to referee the final since Jack Taylor in 1974.

It was expected that Webb, who turns 39 three days after the 11 July final, would be handed the honour after he was overlooked for the semi-finals of the competition.

Webb's team have not put a foot wrong in the tournament so far. Cann correctly ruled out a Fabio Quagliarella equaliser for Italy against Slovakia while Mullarkey was praised for his decision to allow Luís Fabiano's goal for Brazil against Chile.

Back
Top Bottom