Straight advice you wish you'd been given

I contacted Peter via ebay and he called me back. We had a quick chat and he was very helpful.

An order was placed and my straight and paddle strop arrived today with some helpful instructions on stropping.

Will post pics later.

Planning to use them for tonights shave.

I can't recommend Peter enough. After speaking to him I was happy to deal with him outside of ebay and he didn't let me down.

I'm about to pick up my first straight. It will be shave ready but I need a cheap strop.

I'm thinking of going for a paddle strop.

Any have any advice on why I shouldn't?

Is this one any good:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131982059698

He states he uses Horween hide. Horween is an American company name, not a type of leather. what type of hide is it?
The only Horween I know that is used in strops is its Shell and that's top draw, but very expensive.
The term he uses "all materialssourced in the U.K." Is a bit misleading.

Like I have said before, use a reputable strop maker and know that the hide they are using has been sourced for its stropping properties.

He states he uses Horween hide. Horween is an American company name, not a type of leather. what type of hide is it?
The only Horween I know that is used in strops is its Shell and that's top draw, but very expensive.
The term he uses "all materialssourced in the U.K." Is a bit misleading.

Like I have said before, use a reputable strop maker and know that the hide they are using has been sourced for its stropping properties.
I have absolutely no idea what type of hide it is.

I know less than fuck all about these things.

A few posts back, I asked if anyone had bought from the seller before and got good feedback from @Fergiebilly and @Jack Sales which was good enough for me.

It's a well made strop. Just what a beginner needs in my limited experience opinion.

I have absolutely no idea what type of hide it is.

I know less than fuck all about these things.

A few posts back, I asked if anyone had bought from the seller before and got good feedback from @Fergiebilly and @Jack Sales which was good enough for me.

It's a well made strop. Just what a beginner needs in my limited experience opinion.

I have the same strop, and it works well, but it could do with being a little longer, I will maybe buy one of these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/large-4-s...291701?hash=item1eb9fb95b5:g:EKMAAOSwLnBXXXyE

from the same seller

I contacted Peter via ebay and he called me back. We had a quick chat and he was very helpful.

An order was placed and my straight and paddle strop arrived today with some helpful instructions on stropping.

Will post pics later.

Planning to use them for tonights shave.

I can't recommend Peter enough. After speaking to him I was happy to deal with him outside of ebay and he didn't let me down.
Peter is a sound guy.Been using a straight way before many of us on this forum were even born.Guys like him are straight razor legends.Good down to earth advice. He knows the score.

Last edited:
Horween maybe he is meaning Horsie?! I am not fuzzy about type of leather though will buy one when he starts shipping outside the UK.[/QUOTE
I have the same strop, and it works well, but it could do with being a little longer, I will maybe buy one of these, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/large-4-s...291701?hash=item1eb9fb95b5:g:EKMAAOSwLnBXXXyE

from the same seller
Horween is a self lubricating leather.I have it on one side of my paddle strop.It's quality cow leather.

Horween maybe he is meaning Horsie?! I am not fuzzy about type of leather though will buy one when he starts shipping outside the UK.
No its cow leather.I asked him to check for me & he sent me the link(at the time) to where he buys it.I wanted to be sure that is wasn't anything related to a horse.If it was I wouldn't of bought it.

You guys could strop on an old belt and swear it's the bollocks!

Do yourselves a favour and start by reading Neil Millers stickies and then go back and read them again.
Well respected members and the usefull information they have given to this forum is being eradicated by the eBay gods!

Back
Top Bottom