Straight advice you wish you'd been given

Yes, plenty of information has been written about the stropping qualities of different materials.
You just need to find the right forum and use the right search key words.

No its cow leather.I asked him to check for me & he sent me the link(at the time) to where he buys it.I wanted to be sure that is wasn't anything related to a horse.If it was I wouldn't of bought it.

I know this is taking the thread off topic even more but...Why wouldn't you use horse hide? I'm a total newbie, so just curious.

I've just bought my first strop, a Westholme 'starter' and it arrived yesterday (see post #1 of November Acquisitions). Just waiting on my first SR and I'm good to go.:eek::p:cool::D

You guys could strop on an old belt and swear it's the bollocks!

Do yourselves a favour and start by reading Neil Millers stickies and then go back and read them again.
Well respected members and the usefull information they have given to this forum is being eradicated by the eBay gods!

Jaycey.Get over yourself.People are allowed to have a different point of view & give opinions.This is yours but I don't need but thanks for suggesting.Maybe now get back to your plastic throw away or whatever you use.:)

Last edited:
I know this is taking the thread off topic even more but...Why wouldn't you use horse hide? I'm a total newbie, so just curious.

I've just bought my first strop, a Westholme 'starter' and it arrived yesterday (see post #1 of November Acquisitions). Just waiting on my first SR and I'm good to go.:eek::p:cool::D
Personal choice.

@jaycey as a complete novice and beginner I was after a cheap but decent strop to go with a cheap but decent razor to see if straight razors are for me.

I have no problem spending on better kit, but didn't really want to have an expensive kit then find out I don't like shaving with a straight.

It's almost like advising some new to DE Shaving to buy a Feather AS-D2 and a Simpson Chubby.

I am happy with the advice I have been given and even happier with the strop and service from Peter.
There aren't many ebay sellers that would offer to speak to you over the phone or via email to offer advice after you have bought from them.

@jaycey as a complete novice and beginner I was after a cheap but decent strop to go with a cheap but decent razor to see if straight razors are for me.

I have no problem spending on better kit, but didn't really want to have an expensive kit then find out I don't like shaving with a straight.

It's almost like advising some new to DE Shaving to buy a Feather AS-D2 and a Simpson Chubby.

I am happy with the advice I have been given and even happier with the strop and service from Peter.
There aren't many ebay sellers that would offer to speak to you over the phone or via email to offer advice after you have bought from them.

The advice you have been given is good advice, and you have listened and purchased based on that advice, you may or may not become a straight shaving guru, I know I won't because I just want it to be sharp, without relying on others, and shave, if what I do works for me then I am happy to continue, I don't want to play top trumps in the hone'ing, or stropping equipment aquiring.

The advice you have been given is good advice, and you have listened and purchased based on that advice, you may or may not become a straight shaving guru, I know I won't because I just want it to be sharp, without relying on others, and shave, if what I do works for me then I am happy to continue, I don't want to play top trumps in the hone'ing, or stropping equipment aquiring.
Fuzzyian.Here is mine pal.I don't use it often because I got a new strop but its a great addition to what I have. :)WP_20161102_003.jpg

Once You Settle into Shaving & Stropping Correctly the Next Logical Step is to Get a Double Sides Paddle Strop..Doesn't need to be an Expensive One for Pastes to Maintain You're SRs..1 Micron Lapping Film will Do the Job as Well or Both..1 Micron Lapping Film is a Great Finishing Hone & Will Maintain SRs for a Very Long Time..o_O

I Personally Touch Up My SRs on 0.5 Chro/Ox & 0.2 Red Rhodium for 7/10 Sets around Every 4 or 5 Shaves & it Works Well for Me..I Like to Keep them Keen Rather than let them Dull & Tug before Needing a Refresh..By the Time an SR Starts to Tug in My Books its a Bit Late for Pastes & a Finishing Hone Would be the Next Port of Call..1 Micron Lapping Film is Cheap & Will Suffice as a Finishing Hone for a Refresh if You Don't want to Splash out on Something like a Naniwa Finishing Stone..Maintaining SRs Need not be Expensive or Long Winded..:D

Billy

Last edited:
My first strop was newspaper, my second strop was a piece of denim from a old pair of jeans. My third strop was a RupRazor "Filly" £20 delivered from the US. First hone was a £10 barbers hone. When I learnt how to use that I got a Naniwa 8k and learnt how to get a very smooth shave from that.
It was a steep learning curve but it taught me good technique and the difference between straight razor myths, mediocre materials and that you can get excellent shaves from budget equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom