Straight advice you wish you'd been given

If you happen to have a very dull st8 at home, you might want to try 'mock' shaving and stropping with it before you use the sharpened blade. That way you'll gain a little experience and won't have to worry about cutting up your face or strop.
And.... As my wife told me when I started and showed up to supper all cut up: " you probably shouldn't do that again if you're home alone; it would be best if someone was here to call 911 (999) if you need it[emoji33].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take your time and be patient, don't panic about nicks and cuts, you WILL catch yourself here and there but you're not going to end up bleeding out on the bathroom floor.
accept that the first few shaves are not going to be of the highest quality, by all means touch up with a DE, but do try and shave all of your face with the straight right from the first time. It's all about learning the angles and how to hold the razor to achieve them, it's really quite intuitive so don't over think, if the angle is way out you'll know.
concentrate, but in a relaxed sort of way, and enjoy yourself!!

Tonight was the night I tried my first straight shave and eventually got there. I found the right hand side ok but when it came to the left and especially on the neck it got very awkward. A few nicks but nothing too scary.

I went with Tabac and plenty of witchhazel for after. I have a sore face and not a remotely close shave but I feel pretty chuffed I did it at last :)

fb8088545872c2132af4e2976dfe4248.jpg

Tonight was the night I tried my first straight shave and eventually got there. I found the right hand side ok but when it came to the left and especially on the neck it got very awkward. A few nicks but nothing too scary.

I went with Tabac and plenty of witchhazel for after. I have a sore face and not a remotely close shave but I feel pretty chuffed I did it at last :)

fb8088545872c2132af4e2976dfe4248.jpg

The first straight shave i had i wast at all impressed, 7 years later i can say that i get a better shave with a de, but i seem to be able to not need a shave for longer. Dunno if tgat makes sense? A de will give me the closest shave ive had, but i feel the stubble sooner.
I only straight shave but if im in a hurry i reach for the de and alum as i cut my self to ribbons no days where im more used to the straight

Back
Top Bottom