Straight advice you wish you'd been given

Not really advice I wish I would have been given but more advice I wish I would have taken more notice off. For some reason I rushed into buying a strop. In London barbers shops they are not cheap so purchased a good one but a narrow.(1.75") I thought I would learn to use it, I since then got a 3" strop and for a newbie this is definitely the way to go. It was so much easier and really think I rounded/dulled my first blade not using the narrow strop the proper way. An expensive lesson learned. By the way I have a narrow strop to sell :)

Last edited:
The key is really good prep,shave after a shower,lather up using a really good soap tabac is excellent and apply a small towel or face cloth soaked in the hottest water your face can take,leave it there for a couple of minutes until your whiskers feel silky soft then apply your lather and shave,by doing this your shave will be more comfortable and your razors edge will last longer.Also don't forget to wash your blade off & dry with toilet tissue,even the smallest amount of moisture on a blade will rust it.

2nd straight razor attempt
Prep wash face and rub in Tabac shave stick, leave for a good 5 minutes or so
Tabac shave stick
Razor rock Monster brush
6/8 Joseph Rodgers wedge
Cut neck, earlobe
Lots of witch hazel and alum to stem the bleeding!

The key is really good prep,shave after a shower,lather up using a really good soap tabac is excellent and apply a small towel or face cloth soaked in the hottest water your face can take,leave it there for a couple of minutes until your whiskers feel silky soft then apply your lather and shave,by doing this your shave will be more comfortable and your razors edge will last longer.Also don't forget to wash your blade off & dry with toilet tissue,even the smallest amount of moisture on a blade will rust it.
Good advice which works whatever you use to shave :)

2nd straight razor attempt
Prep wash face and rub in Tabac shave stick, leave for a good 5 minutes or so
Tabac shave stick
Razor rock Monster brush
6/8 Joseph Rodgers wedge
Cut neck, earlobe
Lots of witch hazel and alum to stem the bleeding!
How's it going using the wedge? My favourite style razors.

Back
Top Bottom