Straight advice you wish you'd been given

I'm about to pick up my first straight. It will be shave ready but I need a cheap strop.

I'm thinking of going for a paddle strop.

Any have any advice on why I shouldn't?

Is this one any good:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131982059698
This seller is highly recommended.He once made me a four sided Long tom & many have bought from him.He's an honest down to earth bloke that doesn't rip people off with sub-standard rubbish.Regarding a strop or paddle strop.Personally I would choose the paddle & learn the x pattern on that for a few months then progress onto a hanging strop if you fancy.You can't go wrong with a paddle but for some,the hanging strop can take a bit of getting used.Keep us all updated :)

With the hanging strop you start with caution and everything is fine for a week or so then: "Hey! I can do this, I can do it fast Pro Style!" and strop is suddenly covered with knife marks.

With the hanging strop you start with caution and everything is fine for a week or so then: "Hey! I can do this, I can do it fast Pro Style!" and strop is suddenly covered with knife marks.
Hahaha.All this fast is better is nonsense.I bet many people cut up their strops trying to impress themselves after watching youtube videos lol Like with anything in life,take time & do something with attention & care.

It's quite simple really. Doing anything for the first time is difficult. Everything has a learning curve. Of course you aren't going to pick up a shave ready straight and have the perfect smooth nick free shave nor will strop a razor at the perfect angle and not touch the strop. These skills used to be passed down from person to person but shaving with a straight is nowadays something you have to learn yourself. Mistakes will happen, you will nick your skin and nick your strop it is inevitable frankly regardless of speed. Just accept it and get on with it. Be prepared to use your first strop as a learning strop and buy another when you improve. Oh and if you get a 'genuinely' shave ready straight get the plasters and styptic ready you are gonna need them.

A New Gold Dollar from the Factory Can & May Need a Lot of Steel Removed to Set the Bevel..Once that has Been Done they are Not Any Harder to Hone that Any Other SR..That is to Say..Re Hone..But..Yeah..They are Not an Ideal SR to Learn to Hone on for the Reason I Mentioned..o_O

The Work Can be Done on a 1 K Stone..I Know a Couple of Guys that Hone these Regularly to Sell them & they Both use Heavier Grit Hones to Remove the Initial Metal from them..One Uses a 600 K Stone & the Other Guy Uses 30 Micron Lapping Film..:)

Billy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom