S.O.T.D. w/c Saturday 7th - Friday 13th December 2013, incl.

Warm shower
Proraso pre, menthol
Muhle Silvertip, Cella
Digress HD (#3; #2.5), Rapira SS (2)
Cold splash
Proraso AS cream

This is very much my A-team kit and I got a predictably awesome shave. Took a risk to get it extra smooth, but no extra irritation.

I'm planning on trotting out my vintage Gillettes in a few days... so anything could happen...

Prep: Hot shower, followed by Neutrogena Razor Defense Face Scrub
Pre: Village Barber oil
Cream: TOBS "Eton College"
Brush: unbranded Butterscotch 20mm Silvertip
Razor: E&J DE89 w/iKon bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Lab blue (3)
ASB: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

The Eton College cream has a lovely scent which did not linger. PLB blade really mellowed out today and provided the smoothest shave yet (BBS in 2.1 passes). Bay rum gave a lovely warm glow all morning.

merkur 37c slant
personna med prep
omega pro 49
valobra almond shaving soap
aqua velva AS

very good, first time using aqua velva and i rather like it. for some reason i was expecting it to be a bit 1980s, but it isnt and its right up my street, very nice.

Miercoles
Aceite pre/Acqua Di Parma crema/Merkur 38C con Astra/Whipped Dog silverip brocha/Weleda balsamo
DSC_0697.JPG

SOTD 11/12/13 :D What a great shave!

IMG_4288.JPG

I have so many razors now, I really didn't know where to start ... so I started by going backwards with my most recent acquisitions: a Valet VC1 and a GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip.

Hot Towel
NuAge Men PSO
TOBS Eton College Shaving Cream
Edwin Jagger Best Badger 21mm
Valet VC1/GEM Stainless PTFE [1]
GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip/GEM Stainless PTFE [1]
Hot Rinse
Cold Rinse
Alum Wash
Cold Rinse
Brut Original

One pass WTG - Valet VC1/GEM Stainless PTFE [1]
One pass WTG/One pass XTG - GEM Micromatic Bullet Tip/GEM Stainless PTFE [1]

Did I say, "What a great shave!"?

Thank you to Carl for his generous PIF of Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving creams - I got the Eton College, a gentle citrus scent with light woody notes behind. Perfect with my G&T. Lathering was a case of wet brush, shaken free of hanging water and swirled in the pot five times clockwise, five anti-clockwise ... and what an explosion of lather! The lather got better with each pass, too. I had way too much, so think just five light swirls should do me proud next time. I really enjoyed the soap, so thank you again Carl.

I have four days of growth and so an open comb seemed a good choice.

Selecting the Valet VC1 with a GEM Stainless PTFE blade, de-spined and snipped at the corners to fit, I carefully and purposefully gave my cheek the first stroke. Well, blow me down, what a smooth razor! The blade, is of course, a known good, but what a smooth razor! I said that already :D Par for the course with single edge razors like this, the sound is like scraping butter onto toast. The angle was easy to find and my whiskers just blew away with great ease, no discomfort and with great feedback from the razor - it goes quiet when you have the wrong angle. One with the grain pass.

Not wanting to push my luck, I switched razor and repeated a with the grain pass using a GEM Micromatic; a closed comb razor, reputed to be milder than the 1912s. Milder, yes, smoother, too. I could have left it at that, but boy, was I enjoying myself and pressed on for the proverbial smooth shave and a cross the grain pass.

Rinsed off, the alum wash proved nothing untoward and so ... a very generous splash of Brut complimented the shave perfectly, the citrus now a memory and the woods just coming through, adding further complexity to the Brut.

You can tell, I really enjoyed this shave :D

Prep: Hot Water
Soap: Lavarie Barbarossa
Brush: Simpson "The Duke" D3 in Best
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (3)
AS: Floris London N°89

image.php

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso preshave - sensitive
Soap: NSS Cedarwood & Vetyver
Brush: Omega 10005
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor: Weber + Bulldog
Blade: Sputnik (3)
After: Superdrug Sierran Breeze AS, Coral Skin Food

Another smooth shave with this Weber-Sputnik combination. Best combo so far but will try the Rapira SS tomorrow.
I'm getting better at lathering hard soaps now and NSS was a joy to use. I'm fast realising that NSS soaps could be my favourites, especially the soft varieties.

Have a great day, folks.

SOTD20131212_zps0e85faf1.jpg

Thursday

Edwin Jagger DE89
Super Iridium (or Iridium Super) Blade
Edwin Jagger Silvertip Brush
Valobra Hard Shaving Soap (unscented)

I don't post much in SOTD days, but thought I'd "pop one in".

Used the Valobra soap for a week, now. It's not a soap that really offers anything new or exciting, but it does everything nicely.

Ian

Thursday:

Morning, gents.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Sodial/Junjie
Blade: Boots own brand (6)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Tabac
Aftershave: Jovan Musk

Smooth and clean.

Filarmonica Especial full hollow 8/8
Kanayama cordovan #8000
Rooney heritage stubby 2
Elmis pre shave oil
TFS bergamot & neroli hard soap
Witch hazel
TFS bergamot & neroli aftershave balm
Tom Ford black orchid Eau de parfum

This filarmonica is an exceptional blade and such a wonderfully smooth shaver.​

Thursday xii December, 2013

Prep: Hot shower, Kiehl's Energizing Face Wash
Pre: Vito's Crema Pre Dopobarba
Brush: Neep Custom Elm Burl 1940 Penny Farthing
Cream: Shulton Old Spice
Razor: Ikon Open Comb
Blade: Sputnik #3
Post: Honeybee Gardens Sandalwood ASB, Arran Aromatics ASB
Fragrance: Penhaligon's Endymion

Result:Brilliant, just brilliant. Only a couple of shaves left with the Old Spice, then it's MWF all the way.....

All the best friends...

Jon

Back
Top Bottom