S.O.T.D. w/c Saturday 12th July - Friday 18th July 2014, incl.

Pre: 4MEN shave oil (travel size)
Soap: Tabac stick
Brush: MÜHLE STF Travel
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Personna platinum (2)

Travelling shave. Repeat from yesterday, same great 3-pass BBS.
IMG_20140716_172027.jpg

Gillette Fusion ProGlide
EJ Best Badger
Palmolive Soap

6 weeks of beard, gone.

Tache is looking awesome. Longer than it's ever been.

Hot water prep in the shower
Arko soap face lathered
Semogue 1520
DE 89 (Polsilver SI #3)
Cold water rinse
Prof's orange and lemon (and peppermint) after shave

Lovely 2 pass shave

joe mcclaine said:
Tache is looking awesome. Longer than it's ever been.

Man, I cant begin to visualize having a substantial moustache on my face. Went through that phase long ago and I still remember what a pain those were. Heh, I have some pics somewhere of me with my Fu Manchu style from 1968. Was wearing a gold mohair Nehru jacket in that one. It was boss.

Had other long droopy Pancho Villa ones that hung over my upper lip and jeeeez, talk about something unpleasant getting in the way of eating. Ice cream, corn on the cob, and ribs are just a few things that were tough to deal with.

Gives me the creeps now even thinking about how my tongue would touch those coarse hairs on my lip. Eeeeks.

Martin

Cold water splash
Proraso Eucalyptus & Menthol
Vulfix Grosvenor handle w/ TGN 22mm Finest Badger knot
ATT M2 Kronos
Perma-Sharp Super (4)
Myrsol Emulsion

Nice cooling from Proraso and Myrsol Emulsion. Needed it with this weather!

3P
Gillette US Superspeed
Lab Blue (3)
Muhle STF
Proraso White
Old Spice Noir

First try of the brush and soap which arrived from the daily male today. Worked well the soap has a tiny touch of menthol but I can't place what the scent smells like. Nice though.

I tried my Darwin DeLuxe ...

IMG_6429.JPG

The case has been very well restored, clean, shiny and free of scratches, so kudos to the fellow I bought it from for his excellent polishing work.

The hone has two sides - Fine and Course. Looking at the instructions, there is mention of two kinds of strop paste: Fine and Course. I guess the hone is no smoother one side or the other, but gained its abrasiveness from the strop paste. The instructions also mention to maintain the strop with olive oil, so I massaged in a little olive oil into the fine side and stropped the better of the two blades.

There were two blades included, one with a sort of spider webbing on the edge, the other appeared perfectly good and was itself already sharp, as proven by just touching it to my thumb. I gave that a damn good stropping, loaded up the razor and got going ...

Bulldog Face Wash
Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Darwin DeLuxe
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Quorum After Shave

Face Lathered
Three Pass - WTG, XTG & ATG; High, Medium & Low, respectively

Face washed, brush wet, flicked out and loaded up in the soap, lathered on wet face and I had more than enough for three passes.

The blade itself is adjustable but a small turn of the screw in the middle of the blade, which raises or lowers the blade in relation to the frame. In the end of the handle is a screw-out driver.

I was sceptical of the adjustable nature of the blade since I expected to use it like I would the Rolls Razor simply angling it against my face and scraping, like a mini-straight on a stick ... no so! Actually, the razor works out best used like any early single edge razor with a wedge or hollow ground blade.

Talking of Rolls Razor, their blades will work in the frame once their protective bar is slipped off. Somehow, this blade gets to be sharper than the Rolls Razor blade. Maybe it's the initial grind, maybe the angle in the case when stropping. I don't know ...

... but the shave went ahead very smoothly and I finished up with a good and very presentable shave, much akin to any shave with a wedge or hollow ground in a single edge frame, be it Rolls Razor, Wilkinson Sword or one of those more antique lather catchers.

The blade has screw-threaded holes each side which correspond to the pitch of the tip of the handle. Great for pushing the blade into the stropping clip, inserting into the head and so on, but also useful simply to have the raw blade on a stick in the orientation of a sort of Edwardian British kamisori. I finished up neatening off around my sideburns with the blade au naturel.

An excellent experience, and one I will repeat ... as I will with my Rolls Razors and Wilkinson Swords. It's not a daily shaver for me, but when I feel like spending a little more time and really make the best of preparation, this is a shave I'll reach for.

Enjoyed!

Soap: Barrister & Mann Solstice
Brush: Simpson Persian Jar PJ3 in Super
Razor: Gold Cobra
Blade: Feather Professional
AS: Dior Fahrenheit
EDT: Dior Fahrenheit

image.php

image.php

Thursday morning:

Cadman & Sons Bengall 13/16"
Custom Finest Badger (TGN)-Omega Handle