S.O.T.D. w/c Saturday 12th July - Friday 18th July 2014, incl.

Planned Shave 7-15-2014 ...

14657242335_7489d92c42_c.jpg

Tuesday morning:

Feather Artist Club SS & Feather professional blades
Custom Finest Badger (TGN)-Omega Handle
Castle Forbes, Lime, cream
Face Lather
WTG, XTG & ATG (neck)
Aqua Velva (Williams)

SOTD-2014-07-15-Copy_zps029f8af5.jpg

Razor Henckels 17 half hollow 7/8
Strop Kanayama Cordovan #8000
Brush Simpsons P8
Soap Boellis Panama 1924
Alum & Witch Hazel
L'Occitane Baux aftershave balm
Scent Diptyque Tam Dao EDP.​

Listening Good Music...

Soap: Mike's Natural Soaps Vetiver
Brush: Simpson Chubby 3 Amber in Manchurian
Razor: Thiers Issard Bijou De France 5/8
AS: Guerlain Vetiver
EDT: Guerlain Vetiver

image.php

image.php

Rocket HD
Polsilver (1)
WD silvertip
Speick stick
No7 balm

Taken 50 kids to France for the week on a languages trip. Shared facilities in a hostel, sadly, making shaving less therapeutic than usual.

Prep Pre Shave
Noxzema Original
Vie-Long horse
Goodfella Black
Treet Platinum
KOS Moisturiser.
M&S Amber AS.
Nice fuss free shave. Find painting on the Noxzema with a brush lot
Less messy. Just don't get it wet!!!

pjgh said:
It's been a while since I had one of those real "back to basics" kind of shaves, rediscovering the wonder of it all when first starting out traditional shaving ...

Billy Jealousy White Knight Daily Facial Cleanser
NuAge Men Shaving Oil
Ingram's Shaving Cream
Pure Badger 23mm
Merkur 23C - Bic Chrome [2]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Shower
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & XTG

Using my Merkur 23C, the first double-edge razor that I bought, I set about two highly regimented passes over face lathered Ingram's shaving cream. I wanted to rekindle that feeling I had when I first started traditional shaving, taking time, care and really getting the most out of every stroke.

To be frank, it was not the closest shave I've had but certainly very enjoyable, absolutely irritation-free and with no cuts, nicks or weepers.

In all, a really good shave.

Hey Paul - I'm curious as hell about you saying "one of those real "back to basics" kind of shaves" and using a standard modern-ish razor. Then Martin says something about your usual face scraping or shredding kit. Please - what gave you the feeling of basics? a bit of chest thumping thrown in, maybe?

Glad you enjoyed your shave. I used to use one of those razors - might just dig it out ad try again. A lot like an ARC in appearance - not results.

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Santa Maria Novella pre-shave
Soap: Santa Maria Novella
Bowl: Woodhead Large Tall Scuttle
Brush: Omega boar 10005
Razor: ATT R2 Kronos
Blade: Polsilver SI (2)
After: SMN Pomegranate AS, Limes Skin Food

I reckon this soap tub may have a false bottom it's so tall. Even so at 220ml that's a lot of soap. In fact I'd say it's the most comfortable tub to load with; sits right in the palm and holding fingers don't get in the way.
This is now one of my favourite soaps. Milky, creamy with a smoky tobacco scent; a bit like walking into a room of old furniture in a stately home. There's also a touch of menthol to lighten the mood; so a bit like walking into a room of old furniture in a stately home sucking a mint.
If you're ever in Florence don't miss this one sold in the SMN pharmacy; a marvel to visit even if you don't buy.

Results: Luxurious BBS.

SOTD20140715_zpsacac2d81.jpg

Me at the Santa Maria Novella Pharmacy checkout.
SMNPharmacy_zpsfa5fed9b.jpg

Tuesday xv July, 2014

Prep: Hot shower, Bulldog Original Face Wash
Pre: Cold water splash
Brush: Neep Custom MMXIII Box Wood Extra Silvertip
Soap: Jabonman Lima-Pimienta-Mentolado w. extra lanolin
Razor: Cobra Classic
Blade: Dorco #3
Post: Myrsol Agua de Limón, Trumpers Extract of Limes Skin Food
Fragrance: Houbigant Fougère Royale

Result: All good. After seeing reviews of the Dorco barber blade I was a little concerned, but it seems to be working very well with the Cobra.

All the best, guys,

Jon

Prep: Hot shower, No.7 Boots Face wash
Pre: Argan oil, lemon EO mix
Brush: Cheapo Vulfix Boar
Cream: Nancy Boy Replenishing
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Post: Alum (rinsed), Witch Hazel, Art of Shaving Lavender Gel
Fragrance: Floris Lavender

Dug out the Nancy Boy cream for the first time in a while (it's been sitting in the fridge) in anticipation of the Nancy Boy Signature arriving in the post imminently. It is such a good cream.

Tuesday

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Semogue 2012 SE
iKon Slant
Gillette 7 o'clock Black
Professor Blighty's Harlequin AS

All good, two passes, cold water.

Greetings

Tuesday 15th July 2014
Prep: Shower
Razor: Joseph Elliot 6/8ths
Brush: Semogue 2012 SE Mixed
Soap: Tabac
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

A whole new experience for me, my first shave with a straight razor and after ten seconds it was blindingly apparent to me that I am not a straight razor natural or prodigy!

The good news is that the only damage was a tiny nick on a mole, which to be quite fair I have nicked over the years with every safety razor I own so no surprises there.

The quality of the finish was poor but I am neither surprised or disappointed with that result; I would compare it with a single pass with a DE or SE with a tired blade, there was a noticeable amount of tugging and I think that was due to my ultra light touch because of my timidity. I have no doubts about the razors edge as UK Rob honed it for me, I believe I need to be bolder.

I found (not unexpectedly) the whole process difficult but the chin exceedingly so.

What I have learned even after just one shave is that skin stretching plays an enormous part of the shave whereas with SE and DE shaving 'pulling funny faces' is enough; with the straight it is not. It is also obvious that the ability to use either hand whilst not essential I suspect is a huge advantage, many times I found my view of where the blade touches the skin to be blocked by my hand or the razor handle.

My overall impression is that I found it more difficult than I thought I would, but I am still very happy with this first amateurish effort.

I would like to think that with enough practice I will eventually make a fist of it! I won't be unhappy or surprised if the time scale is lengthy.

Regards
Dick.
IMG_0508.JPG

Bechet45 said:
Hey Paul - I'm curious as hell about you saying "one of those real "back to basics" kind of shaves" and using a standard modern-ish razor. Then Martin says something about your usual face scraping or shredding kit. Please - what gave you the feeling of basics? a bit of chest thumping thrown in, maybe?

Glad you enjoyed your shave. I used to use one of those razors - might just dig it out ad try again. A lot like an ARC in appearance - not results.

Back to the first traditional shave I had - that was pretty much the same equipment, only difference this time was the face lathering.

Since then, I think I've tried just about every kind of face scraper out there, all kinds of soaps, brushes, techniques; good to get back to where you started every now and again ... quite humble, actually.

Back
Top Bottom