S.O.T.D. w/c Saturday 12th July - Friday 18th July 2014, incl.

Monday

Afternoon, everyone.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Super Max Blue Diamond (9)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: Super Max Ultimate
Aftershave: Grey Flannel
Cologne: Grey Flannel

Cold water splash
Lea (stick, grated)
Commodore X3 handle w/ TGN 24mm Finest Badger knot
ATT M2 Kronos
Perma-Sharp Super (2)
Clinique Post-Shave Healer

Very smooth and efficient shave today.

Quick 2 pass shave this morning:

Hot water prep

Wickham Super Smooth club cola, face lathered

Omega 49

EJ DE89 (Polsilver SI #2)

Cold water splash, Alum block on a couple of weepers

Prof's orange and lemon aftershave

Really enjoying the prof's aftershave, especially since I added a few drops of peppermint oil to add a chill factor [emoji16]

Monday 14th July

SOTD14714_zpsf57dcd2c.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
Razo Rock XXX bowl lathered
Finest Badger brush made by myself
Gillette NEW (Made in England)
Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lemon witch hazel
TOBS No74 Victorian Lime aftershave

Liz Earle lavender C&P
NSS Dragons Blood shave Cream
Semogue 830
Fat Handle Tech
Treet Platinum
Boots Witch Hazel Gel
M&S Amber AS.
That all worked very nicely together.

FrankieG said:
Cold water splash
Lea (stick, grated)
ATT M2 Kronos
Perma-Sharp Super (2)

You've been using your ATT nearly everyday now, Frankie.
How do you rate it against your other razors?

10477043_10202495173720459_4434430344899442875_n.jpg

Planned shave for tomorrow.......

I'm gonna give my newly acquired Dubl Duck Special No.1 a run out (Yes Rob it was one of yours, I believe)
Needed a little touch up on the hones (which for me is not so little, I'm still learning)

fancontroller said:
FrankieG said:
Cold water splash
Lea (stick, grated)
ATT M2 Kronos
Perma-Sharp Super (2)

I must admit that I have a soft spot for stainless razors! Having said that the ATT has trumped my Weber which up to now was my favourite razor. I consistently get excellent shaves from it. It is beautifully made, feels great in the hand and the balance is just perfect, allowing the stainless head to do the work without applying any pressure. I also prefer the Kronos handle over the Weber Bulldog. It is slightly longer and the knurling, although not as deep as the Bulldog's, has a better and more comfortable grip for me.

I would call the open comb M2 (which I use the most) to be mild to moderately aggressive. It is slightly more aggressive than the Weber PH and definitely more efficient in my opinion, yet it offers a smoother shave with even less chance of nicks or irritation. I also have an M1 plate (safety bar) and Atlas handle, but personally prefer the open comb version.

I also used a Feather AS-D2 before, but that was too mild for me so I passed it on.

FrankieG said:
fancontroller said:

I must admit that I have a soft spot for stainless razors! Having said that the ATT has trumped my Weber which up to now was my favourite razor. I consistently get excellent shaves from it. It is beautifully made, feels great in the hand and the balance is just perfect, allowing the stainless head to do the work without applying any pressure. I also prefer the Kronos handle over the Weber Bulldog. It is slightly longer and the knurling, although not as deep as the Bulldog's, has a better and more comfortable grip for me.

I would call the open comb M2 (which I use the most) to be mild to moderately aggressive. It is slightly more aggressive than the Weber PH and definitely more efficient in my opinion, yet it offers a smoother shave with even less chance of nicks or irritation. I also have an M1 plate (safety bar) and Atlas handle, but personally prefer the open comb version.

I also used a Feather AS-D2 before, but that was too mild for me so I passed it on.

Thanks for your detailed answer. In fact I completely with you. Although I have the R1/R2 version which is a step more aggressive than the Weber.

It's been a while since I had one of those real "back to basics" kind of shaves, rediscovering the wonder of it all when first starting out traditional shaving ...

DSC06196.JPG

Billy Jealousy White Knight Daily Facial Cleanser
NuAge Men Shaving Oil
Ingram's Shaving Cream
Pure Badger 23mm
Merkur 23C - Bic Chrome [2]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Shower
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal

Face Lathered
Two Pass - WTG & XTG

Using my Merkur 23C, the first double-edge razor that I bought, I set about two highly regimented passes over face lathered Ingram's shaving cream. I wanted to rekindle that feeling I had when I first started traditional shaving, taking time, care and really getting the most out of every stroke.

To be frank, it was not the closest shave I've had but certainly very enjoyable, absolutely irritation-free and with no cuts, nicks or weepers.

In all, a really good shave.

pjgh said:
It's been a while since I had one of those real "back to basics" kind of shaves, rediscovering the wonder of it all when first starting out traditional shaving ...

Merkur 23C - Bic Chrome [2]

Using my Merkur 23C, the first double-edge razor that I bought, I set about two highly regimented passes over face lathered Ingram's shaving cream.

To be frank, it was not the closest shave I've had but certainly very enjoyable, absolutely irritation-free and with no cuts, nicks or weepers.

In all, a really good shave.

What a weenie,

Heh, that post makes you seem normal. Yes indeed, a really good shave with not the closest of results. Sure, nothing to see here.....

But I think you really missed your various contraptions....the ones that attempt to try and gnaw your face into submission. Those...all of em.

Paul, you would go nuts using that current set up for a week.

I would ... I most certainly would ...

In the 180 odd traditional shaves I've had, a mere 15 have been with this razor! 15! Granted, I was shaving every other day back when I started, but 15? I swear I used this razor day in day out at the beginning. I must have jumped into vintage very early on ...

I'm into a whole new world of weird contraptions now ... 1912s just ain't cutting it any more, so to speak :D I'll unveil in due course ...

Back
Top Bottom