S.O.T.D. Saturday 27th May to Friday 2nd June 2017

SOTD 20170602

4jJhhOS.jpg

Brush: J&T® black walnut / APShaveCo synthetic STF 26 mm.
Shaving soap: Pré de Provence.
Razor: ATT SE2.
Blade: Kai Titan Mild (1).
After shave: Osage Rub.

18723433_118864618697182_2691107919331590144_n.jpg

Brush: Vie Long 04503
Razor: Hone Type 15
Blade: Supermax Super Platinum (2)
Soap: Mitchells Wool Fat
Post: Thayers Rose, Aloe Vera Gel & Superdrug Sierran Breeze

It's Friday so that makes it Fat Friday! A wonderful lather whipped up by the Vie Long, horse hair is such an under-appreciated knot. Made effortless work of the Mitchells, never understood why this soap is so divisive. I tried warm water again today, the razor felt easier to glide but that may be due to the lather and soap being familiar to me. A great shave was had with the accompaniment of a trip through Purgatory with Dante & Virgil.

Friday 2 June 2017

lFsBAj9QSqoEMX6aPY4Jmp37gLTAbvrmKs_dN5GUsbuB1I3uW1rJqTGRC39viBNx0lk1Xin3WiE9EzY=w1366-h768-no

Viva l'Italia!

Viva l'Italia! Today is the Italian National Day or, like we properly call it, "Festa della Repubblica", that is our "Republic Day". We are in fact celebrating the 71st anniversary of our Republic. Long live Italy! To celebrate our National Day I shaved with Italian products only, including the ones made by me, certainly and proudly made in Italy. As for the razor, I used this Mastro Livi RWL34, a stainless steel having - and I am sure about this - superior quality and performance in shaving. I must say this is the only Mastro Livi razor I have ever honed (I own 31 of them, none of them ever needed honing) and not because it needed honing, indeed because of a challenge. I have read from time to time many people complained about Mastro Livi RWL34 razors and in their opinion it was a stainless steel impossible to hone and it could not take any edge or however a good edge. I have three RWL34 razors and I decided to accept the risk of honing one of them and I decided to sacrifice this one. Let me say this clear: this razor had a great edge (just like any Mastro Livi razor) but I wanted to try myself to hone it from scratch and see whether those complaining about RWL34 razors were right. I removed the original Mastro Livi edge by severely dulling it on a stone, then I started making a new bevel from scratch. It took about 15 minutes to get a fabulous edge and I can tell (and prove) what people say about Mastro Livi RWL34 is absolutely false. I used a 3K to make a new bevel, a Belgian coticule and then Mastro Livi chromium oxide paste and his loom strop. Since that day, I used this razor to shave dozens of times and it still has a very sharp and super cutting edge. Mastro Livi RWL34 straight razors are magnificently amazing shavers, giving a super close and very effective shave. Viva l'Italia!​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Almond Oil Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Omega Bristle 10275
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Travel Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi RWL34, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Bay Rum

Friday

Proraso preshave cream
Culmak soap
Semogue 2000 brush
Gem Junior with Personna (#2)
Alum Block
Unrefined Shea Butter
Blue Stratos A/S

Great shave this evening as I prepare for night shift at the beginning of my weekend in hell :(.
Really loving the Gem.
I use to work weekend nightshifts too, i know that feeling very well...but some of use unfortunately have to work them:(..Put your head down, and get on with it..once you get passed midnight, your into the next day.then you only have to get passed your "dead hour"..then it's over..Have quick one mate..Regards...oh yeah + 1 on the Blue Stratos A/S, wonderful stuff!;)

I use to work weekend nightshifts too, i know that feeling very well...but some of unfortunetely have to work them..Put your head down, and get on with it..once you get passed midnight, your into the next day.then you only have to get passed your "dead hour"..then it's over..Have quick one mate..Regards...oh yeah + 1 on the Blue Stratos A/S, wonderful stuff!;)

Its only nights tonight....recover tomorrow and a 12 hr long day on Sunday. Body clock will be shot. At my age ....not good. :-(
Yeah....the Blue Stratos is most definitely a blast from the past!

nNOzaeJ.jpg

Smooth and close shave but I noticed that in comparison with the Ever-Ready 1912 this Push-Button wasn't as slick sliding over the skin. Had a minor mishappening with a weeper near a small mole but very swiftly controlled with the comfort lather and cold water. I'm also noticing that I'm face lathering more and more, and with this brush is really a treat!

Back
Top Bottom