S.O.T.D. Saturday 27th May to Friday 2nd June 2017

Greetings All,

Thursday evening shave with a new soap.

One days' growth and another cool water shave.

Preparation – face washed with Clique Liquid facial soap (mild)

Pre: Edwin Jagger Hydrating Pre-Shave (sample)
Soap: Executive Shave Bay Rum Shaving Cream (thanks to@Chinski)
Razor: Merkur 34c
Blade: Astra SP (1st use)
Brush: Molten Brown Shaving Brush

Post Shave: Cold water rinse, Alum then a shower followed by Proraso post shave cream (white)

Another great cool shave. The Executive Share Bay Rum (thanks again @Chinski) made a lovely lather, so silky, not convinced about the fragrance. In the tub, its very strong (for me) and the lather is still quite strong. That aside, I had two passes, minor touch up and no irritation – BBS.

Thursday 1st June 2017
SOTD 1st June.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, Bulldog Sensitive Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: Rockwell 6C #6 plate
Blade: Rockwell Swedish Stainless Steel (#1)
Brush: Kent BLK4
Cream: Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr Taylors
AS: Benjamins Mentholated Bay Rum

I decided that I would see how the Rockwell blade performed on plate 6 in the Rockwell 6C, I have to say that it was a lot better than on plate 4. The initial tugging on the first pass and some minor irritation under the chin was not too bad, but somehow with so many other good blades out there, and in my stash, I cannot see me rushing to use a Rockwell blade in the 6C. The final result was very close and the last pass ATG was very smooth, so not a bad blade, just not a very good blade for me.

x8m3ty5.jpg

Thursday 1st June

EVOO
PAL Injectomatic
Semogue 1305
Erasmic Soap Bowl
Cold water, Alum, Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel

2nd try with the PAL, getting better, very smooth finish. Just need to work on no pressure with this very light razor, then hopefully a very smooth no irritation shave will be achieved!
+1 on the Semogue 1305 & the Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel..both are great favourites of mine.;)

Pre // Shower, Charcoal face wash, E S pre shave oil
Razor // Colonial The General
Blade // Schick Proline (4)
Brush // SOC 2 Band
Soap // Saponificio Varesino, Tundra Artica
Post // Lucky Tiger , Aloe Vera Gel
A/S // Floid Vigoroso
View attachment 25658
ENJOY YOUR DAY FELLAS

Top draw set-up Pat.

What are your thoughts on the SOC brush and what type of wood is the handle made from?

View attachment 25662 S.O.T.D -
Pre - Face Wash /Hot Water Towel
Razor - Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade - Supermax Super Platinum
Brush - Simpsons Colonel X2L
Bowl - Korium Shaving Bowl
Soap - Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn
Post - Cold Water Towel /Nivea Men Sensitive Cooling Post Shave Balm -
great shave today the sea buckthorn soap smells lovely its a nice sweet fruity scent this is only the second time iv used an Edwin jagger soap the first was the aloe vera one which is nice and iv got the limes & pomegranate one here to try these are really good soaps especially for the price , also first time using a supermax super platinum blade today worked great in the EJ not sure if I like it better than the platinum plus ones yet will have to give it another try ...... Happy Shaving :D

Nice shaving bowl, where dido you get it?

Tonight's shave. . .

Warm bath/ Nivea Men Active Clean Gel
Mason Pearson pure badger
Merkur Futur /Astra SP(4)
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Boots No7 moisturiser
Old Spice ASL

The Wool Fat soap whipped up easily with the badger brush, I had a luxurious creamy lather in less than 30 seconds.
Fourth run out for the Astra SP, and it's showing no sign of dulling . It's literally as sharp as it's first shave.
Three passes, and two weepers, but a comfortable shave.
The Boots No7 moisturiser is nice stuff, a little goes a long way with no residual greasy feeling.

I needed a bit of pampering after the day I've had at work, on the trail of rats in a well known high street store !
Roll on Friday, . . . . . . . .

Another smooth shave from the Fatip loaded with a fresh Gillette silver blue blade. Soap is Stirling bay rum, brush is a Simpson milk churn best, the aftershave is a 50/50 cut of Bello bay rum & Thayers unscented with aloe vera & Proraso green for the balm.
Two issues concerning this razor- it is an aggressive razor but very smooth, it can lull you into a false sense of security. I have to admit I was slightly gung ho with it tonight & the result is a lovely bit of razor burn under my chin...:D
Secondly, there is a blade alignment issue with it, it's not serious as we all know, but be mindful of it.
Otherwise, NO COMPLAINTS...:D20170601_203947.jpg

Tonight's shave. . .

Warm bath/ Nivea Men Active Clean Gel
Mason Pearson pure badger
Merkur Futur /Astra SP(4)
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Boots No7 moisturiser
Old Spice ASL

The Wool Fat soap whipped up easily with the badger brush, I had a luxurious creamy lather in less than 30 seconds.
Fourth run out for the Astra SP, and it's showing no sign of dulling . It's literally as sharp as it's first shave.
Three passes, and two weepers, but a comfortable shave.
The Boots No7 moisturiser is nice stuff, a little goes a long way with no residual greasy feeling.

I needed a bit of pampering after the day I've had at work, on the trail of rats in a well known high street store !
Roll on Friday, . . . . . . . .

Amen to that!

Top draw set-up Pat.

What are your thoughts on the SOC brush and what type of wood is the handle made from?

Cheers Rob,

I like it, soft enough tips with a good backbone and copes very well with both creams and hard soaps.Knot 24mm, loft 53mm, the handle is hand turned in cherry wood and fits like a glove in the hand and the knot doesn't shed.
I do have a bit of a soft spot for Semogue brushes and this one is no exception.

Reasonably priced too !!! ;)

Last edited:
Cheers Rob,

I like it, soft enough tips with a good backbone and copes very well with both creams and hard soaps.Knot 24mm, loft 53mm, the handle is hand turned in cherry wood and fits like a glove in the hand and doesn't shed.
I do have a bit of a soft spot for Semogue brushes and this one is no exception.

Reasonably priced too !!! ;)

Thanks Pat. I've been eyeing it up for a while now. Unsure if I like the shape of the handle but it's growing on me.
I might put the feelers out and see if anyone wants to sell one.

Back
Top Bottom