S.O.T.D. Saturday 1st March to Friday 7th March 2014

Thursday 03-06-14. MUSIC: Ian Dury - New Boots And Panties!

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS66EyZsceo[/video]

7a83b620-ea43-4007-8d29-558e4b3e2712_zps45734f2d.jpg

Aleppo soap - Rodney Neep Extra Silvertip 26X50 - Merkur 37C Slant - Iridium Super #1 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving cream Acca Kappa 1869 - Alum block - Thayers Cucumber Toner - ASB Institut de Karité - ASL Grey Flannel.

Thursday 6th March

SOTD6314_zps72b9c8ff.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Barrister & Mann Bay Rum soap scuttle lathered
Brush made by myself, TGN Finest badger 28mm
Gillette NEW short comb
Personna Lab Blue (1)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
DR Harris Bay Rum aftershave

A grand shave from the Short comb and Lab blue pairing.

Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: RazoRock Zi Peppino
Brush: Simpson Tulip-1 (Super)
Razor: EJ DE89 with Templ8 custom handle
Blade: NOS Wilkinson Sword UK (7)
AS: RazoRock Zi Peppino balm

First time using this "Green Tobacco" soap/balm. I have an aversion to any tobacco smoke (cigarettes, cigars, pipes, etc.) so I was not optimistic about trying this. Oddly, there is zero smoke scents to this and all I get is a woodsy-green scent. Stronger than a fougere, but very pleasant.
NOS Wilkie is still going strong. Silky smooth but losing its cutting edge. Needed 3.5 passes and lots of blade buffing to get a BBS.
IMG_20140305_210755.jpg

Good evening chaps,

IMG_5120.JPG

Tonight felt right for another run with my Feather Artist Club kamisori-style "injector straight" ...

Hot Towel
Erasmic - Pure Badger 23mm
Feather AC - Feather Light [1]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Ogallala Bay Rum, Lime & Peppercorns
Czech & Speake Cuba Cologne

Bowl Lathered
Two Pass - Both WTG

I now have three shaves worth of experience with Feather blades and after my first rather bloody encounter with a Feather Pro, I know to really go easy, only ever shave purposefully, never get carried away, always keep your eye on the razor, both ends and the angle, and always stop ... stop if you gash yourself.

I gashed myself with the very last intended stroke - just getting the angle wrong under my ear behind my jawline. Stop. After the rinses and alum, it's gone, but I bet it shows up as a red line in a couple of hours - then, I'll give it a dab of neat patchouli and be confident that it will be gone in the morning.

Two passes - both with the grain and I now have a smooth face. I am very happy with this shave and feel to have made a lot of progress with this razor. While it took nearly 40 minutes, this is not a tool to run quickly around your face and even when I'm proficient with it, it will be a slow shave. It is not a safety razor.

Curiously, the Light blade I have out has had one shave. After a stroke down my cheek, it felt rough, grabby and uncomfortable, not to mention simply not shaving close. I ditched it and dropped a fresh one in. Surely I should get more than one shave out of a blade? My stubble is quite strong and this was two days of growth, but I'm finding my SE blades are only lasting 2-3 shaves and DEs gone by the third. Thoughts?

The Ogallala was very welcome - really nice heat and burn from the blend and then a good splash of C&S Cuba behind the ears and a little just under my nose for that fleeting smell ... some will know what I mean, others will be puzzled.

Good shave. Damn good shave!

Cheers, all.

Prep: Village Barber Oil
Brush: Kent BK8
Cream: Dr Harris Windsor
Razor: Weber DLC/UFO U2
Splash: Dr Harris Windsor

What a bloody good shave, love this brush and the Windsor scent. Really want to get the EDT but that will have to wait.
[attachment=9813]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394134184.498525.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394134184.498525.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 16
After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage butterscotch rebranded Simpsons
'Webly'/Schick Plus Platinum (NOS)
Mikes cedar/orange/pepper SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
No EdT.......no interest for some reason

First time using this soap after reading lots of positive reviews. Now it can sometimes take me a few times to figure a new soap out, but today it was just ok. Average everything, which surprised me. We'll see how things go these next few shaves. Heh, I even cut myself in a place that was pristine till today. Sheeesh. I am hoping this nothing special lather is just from user error.

mostly BBS results,

Martin

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3nPiBai66M[/video]

Proraso pre-shave
Gillette fat handled tech
Personna lab blue
Rod Neep ivory copperhead
Vulfix lime cream
Alum
Speick AS splash
Speick AS balm

Thursday

Evening, everyone.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89
Blade: Gillette Yellow (6)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: MWF
Aftershave: Old Spice

Simple, no-nonsense shave.

pjgh said:
Good evening chaps,

IMG_5120.JPG

Tonight felt right for another run with my Feather Artist Club kamisori-style "injector straight" ...

Hot Towel
Erasmic - Pure Badger 23mm
Feather AC - Feather Light [1]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Ogallala Bay Rum, Lime & Peppercorns
Czech & Speake Cuba Cologne

Bowl Lathered
Two Pass - Both WTG

I now have three shaves worth of experience with Feather blades and after my first rather bloody encounter with a Feather Pro, I know to really go easy, only ever shave purposefully, never get carried away, always keep your eye on the razor, both ends and the angle, and always stop ... stop if you gash yourself.

I gashed myself with the very last intended stroke - just getting the angle wrong under my ear behind my jawline. Stop. After the rinses and alum, it's gone, but I bet it shows up as a red line in a couple of hours - then, I'll give it a dab of neat patchouli and be confident that it will be gone in the morning.

Two passes - both with the grain and I now have a smooth face. I am very happy with this shave and feel to have made a lot of progress with this razor. While it took nearly 40 minutes, this is not a tool to run quickly around your face and even when I'm proficient with it, it will be a slow shave. It is not a safety razor.

Curiously, the Light blade I have out has had one shave. After a stroke down my cheek, it felt rough, grabby and uncomfortable, not to mention simply not shaving close. I ditched it and dropped a fresh one in. Surely I should get more than one shave out of a blade? My stubble is quite strong and this was two days of growth, but I'm finding my SE blades are only lasting 2-3 shaves and DEs gone by the third. Thoughts?

The Ogallala was very welcome - really nice heat and burn from the blend and then a good splash of C&S Cuba behind the ears and a little just under my nose for that fleeting smell ... some will know what I mean, others will be puzzled.

Good shave. Damn good shave!

Cheers, all.

Paul, that photo alone makes me want to go upstairs for a shave even though I'm strictly a morning person! Great description too, I still haven't gathered up the balls for a 'straight' razor, and having just discovered the Muhle R41, I'm now getting consistent BBS shaves without that much effort, so the 'straight' has been pushed back even further. Though I still love hearing about other gents experiences with them... Keep thinking the whole experience should be accompanied by you entering the bathroom through swing doors, after a couple of fingers of Rye, probably not a good idea! LOL

Aw, yeah ... gotta go for a shave with a splash of spirit :D

I can't "do" mornings ... I like sleep. I can do evenings and love nights. If I wasn't still a worker, I'd be up 'til 4AM and rise around noon.

I've tried a proper straight, tried a few, actually, but I don't get on with them*. These kamisori-style razors give me that thrill. If I found a nice Kamisori at a good price, I might be tempted into the straight way of life. Meanwhile, a bloomin' sharp blade dropped into one of these is a lot of fun every now and again.

* the one shave I LONG for is a 1912. Whatever razor I use, whatever blade ... the one shave I long for is a 1912 with a GEM. I just love it. Everything else is fun, intrigue and speculation.

Soap: Proraso white
Bowl: L'Occitane
Brush: Vulvix
Razor: Dovo Bergischer Löwe
Aftershave: Floid Amber

[attachment=9816]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394141863.409501.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394141863.409501.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 13
Gillette Fusion ProGlide (7)
Thäter 49125/1 3 band
Proraso Red (sandalwood)
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Frederic Malle Dries van Noten

The Thäter is lush. Sadly, it's not a BAD killer - I'd love the 2-band bulb in the plexi handle as well! Sadly, whilst I've stopped buying soap and DEs a while ago, other ADs are taking hold...

In quite enjoying my rasp with the ProGlide too, come to think of it. 2 passes - one up, one down - with a light touch and only on areas with lather coverage. It's quick and cheerful. Nothing wrong with that.

Finally, my dalliance with artisan soaps of late has made me remember that Proraso is very, very good indeed.

Back
Top Bottom