S.O.T.D. Saturday 17th June to Friday 23rd June 2017

It's a genuinely multilayered film. As for the novel, I revisited it recently and it remains incredibly powerful for me. In my opinion, although he seems to go in and out of favour, Conrad explores the human 'condition' like few other novelists. I bow to your obviously considerable cultural knowledge Ian!

You're right - his examination and consideration of what constitutes a civilised versus un-civilised human condition is more relevant than ever. Originally a response to colonialism. Hunter S Thompson's 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' also uses Conrad as a main influence - also the Fisher King myth. We're well off topic Barry - what was that you were saying about shaving? Ha ha. I.

You're right - his examination and consideration of what constitutes a civilised versus un-civilised human condition is more relevant than ever. Originally a response to colonialism. Hunter S Thompson's 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' also uses Conrad as a main influence - also the Fisher King myth. We're well off topic Barry - what was that you were saying about shaving? Ha ha. I.
Ha! Your right. I will find myself talking about shaving in my reading group. Not that I'm actually in a reading group. Which brings us on to the absurd........

A tweak of yesterday's shave with better results. SABI/Mastiff top cap on Muhle R41 baseplate, but this time one shim and I made sure the Rockwell handle was fully tightened as I've had it fake me out at times. Go-to Permasharp replaced the Personna Blue. Although cutting angle was still limited, much smoother than yesterday despite lots of blade feel. Coate's lathered up nicely in the palm.
7b4c928715d6f2b2156fdf6d823975a8.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Apocalypse now! Is one of my all-time favourite anti war films...sheer utter brilliance. Regards.
Couldn't agree more. Incredible film that I could quote endlessly.
The documentary film about the making of; Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse is also a much watch for any fan. Coppola nearly lost his mind and his head making that film, literally. He went into his office threatening suicide and his gun went off. Most of my friends prefer Full Metal Jacket as they've said that film is more about Vietnam, but I disagree, Coppola says his film is Vietnam. It certainly captures the madness. There was sex, drugs, the breakdown of military order and command, and of course the horror, the horror.

Couldn't agree more. Incredible film that I could quote endlessly.
The documentary film about the making of; Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse is also a much watch for any fan. Coppola nearly lost his mind and his head making that film, literally. He went into his office threatening suicide and his gun went off. Most of my friends prefer Full Metal Jacket as they've said that film is more about Vietnam, but I disagree, Coppola says his film is Vietnam. It certainly captures the madness. There was sex, drugs, the breakdown of military order and command, and of course the horror, the horror.
I've watched Heart of Darkness quite a few times and always, learn something new from it everytime i watch it..I was amazed when i watched Apocalypse Now (Redux)..i understand Francis Ford Coppola had to cut out certain scenes, the Redux version, is how it should have been in the first place,.. making the film even better for the viewer to watch.. Full Metal Jacket is good, but the sheer intensity of the method acting, film location on Apocalypse wins over Full Metal Jacket each time..As Francis Ford Coppola said on its press release, 'his film is Vietnam'...It shows that War breaks down empathy for the human race, and ceases rational thinking, leading people into a world of paranoia, fear and ignorance.

Last edited:
image.jpg SOTD Friday 23rd June

Prep....Shower, olive oil soap.
Razor...Muhle R41 (2011)
Blade...Polsilver Iridium super
Soap....DR Harris Windsor
Brush...BSSW Gonzo
Post....BBA post shave balm
Scent....Bond number 9 New York (oil, Mr Perfume)

A very close shave, a very good shave, no cuts :)

Have a nice day people......:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom