S.O.T.D. Saturday 17th June to Friday 23rd June 2017

BaK4vHA.jpg

Great first shave with the Henckels safety razor paired with a GSB... If it keeps giving me such good results I'll have to try to find a replating service to rejuvenate this razor. Though from what i gathered the zamak head seems that it could be problematic to replate...​

Friday 23rd June 2017
SOTD 23rd June.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower, L'Oreal Pure Power Face Wash and Proraso White
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Super-Max Super Stainless (#2)
Brush: Hans Baier Silver Tip
Soap: Erasmic bowl
Post: Alum Block, Cold water and Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel
AS: Nivea Soothing Balm

A mediocre shave today, I have not really been impressed with these Super-Max blades, still no great loss as I have many others I do like.But you don't know until you try them, shame they are not that good for as they are very cheap. Erasmic soap was pretty good, not much scent but great for a pre work shave for me.

19367729_904365586379164_6284603182110736384_n.jpg

Brush: Omega 20102
Razor: Gibbs No 16
Blade: Muhle (3)
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Solaris
Post: Thayers Rose, Aloe Vera Gel & Alvarez Gomez Agua de Colonia Concentrada

That's more like it! The quality of shave is night and day between the Tech and Gibbs. I think I was too quick to judge this Gibbs and look to offload her, gave a cracking shave and ended the week well. Solaris has been excellent all week, had hoped to put a bigger dent in it. A very nice start to a day spend perusing and buying books in Hay On Wye.
Have you been to the Hay Festival before? :D It's a fantastic trip if you haven't :) Lovely quaint town.

Friday Evening;

IMG_4746.jpg

RR Hawk
P&B Imperial Rum
26mm Finest Badger
Fine Snakebite

First time using this luscious soap. My goodness it lathers like a beasty. Lovely and slick and the scent is almost entirely different when it has exploded into a mountainous lather. Nice and clovey, spicy but not cloying. Bit of bitter lime comes through and the citrus sticks with you throughout. I'm yet to try the solid cologne but will probably give it a go tomorrow.
RR Hawk was loaded with a Feather Pro Super on its first outing and mercy, it's a sharp blade (no surprises there). It seems to be very 'sharp'/edgy to start, then mellows out very nicely as the shave(s) progress. I managed 3 passes tonight on my neck, two on my cheeks. WTG and ATG on my cheeks did the job absolutely fine but my neck I tried out a different approach, WTG, XTG, GTX. I started my XTG passes in to out, from the centre of my neck and then out to in for the final pass. I managed to feel myself go over a small spot so there was one slight weeper there and one slight weeper elsewhere. I steepened up the angle a little to try out a couple of things I've seen on YouTube videos recently (with due caution, of course) and it certainly worked for me. I think I was a little shallow in my angle previously.
Finally, the Fine bit hard. So good, so cold.
I'm 99.5% smooth, perhaps my best shave yet! :D Some definite pointers from this one to take away!

Have a good weekend chaps.

Prep: Hot shower and L'oreal Charcoal face wash
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4/3/5)
Razor blade: Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
Brush: Saponificio Varesino
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia

OK onto the razor....deep breath.
I thought it best to get a shave with this as there seems a lot of interest in it.

First off, fit and finish. In a word, excellent.
The blade is secured and clamped down very reassuringly. There is a lot of blade overhang though.
The knurling is great and gives plenty of grip.
The chrome is close to flawless. See the close up below:

Now onto to the business end.
I started with plate 4 and used a brand new Gillette 7 o'clock yellow.

First pass (WTG): A lot of blade feel, which really surprised me and not particularly smooth especially round the top lip and chin.

Second pass (AXTG):
Changed the base plate to 3 to see if I could reduce the blade feel. Not much difference in blade feel but a tad smoother. This was more to do with finding the right angle than anything else. It wasn't very efficient either.

Pass 3 (ATG):
Seen as I was struggling to reduce the stubble I went up to base plate 5. Things started to improve and there seemed to be less blade feel and it was smoother, which I thought was odd.

Pass 4 (touch-ups): A number of touch-ups but after I rinsed my face it was one of the closest shaves I've had.
I did catch myself with the overhang of the blade though.

This was my first outing with this razor so it's only understandable there was a lot of swapping around of plates. I will try a few different blades and plate combinations as I didn't think the Gillette was a great match.
I also found the head quite bulkhead and it was a bit tricky under the nose.

To be continued......

Come on did you expect anything else from Mr fussy?

@wayne mattison @Wayne Pritchard @Blademonkey @patw @Shave to the grave @Benz3ne

Last edited:

Prep: Hot shower and L'oreal Charcoal face wash
Razor: Rockwell 6C (4/3/5)
Razor blade: Gillette 7 o'clock yellow
Brush: Saponificio Varesino
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Manna di Sicilia

OK onto the razor....deep breath.
I thought it best to get a shave with this as there seems a lot of interest in it.

First off, fit and finish. In a word, excellent.
The blade is secured and clamped down very reassuringly. The is a lot of blade overhang though.
The knurling is great and gives plenty of grip.
The chrome is close to flawless. See the close up below:

Now onto to the business end.
I started with plate 4 and used a brand new Gillette 7 o'clock yellow.

First pass (WTG): A lot of blade feel, which really surprised me and not particularly smooth especially round the top lip and chin.

Second pass (AXTG):
Changed the base plate to 3 to see if I could reduce the blade feel. Not much difference in blade feel but a tad smoother. This was more to do with finding the right angle than anything else. It wasn't very efficient either.

Pass 3 (ATG):
Seen as I was struggling to reduce the stubble I went up to base plate 5. Things started to improve and there seemed to be less blade feel and it was smoother which I thought was odd.

Pass 4 (touch-ups): A number of touch-ups but after I rinsed my face it was one of the closest shaves I've had.
I did catch myself with the overhang of the blade though.

This was my first outing with this razor so it's only understandable there was a lot of swapping around of plates. I will need to try a few different blades and plate combinations as I didn't think the Gillette was a great match.
I also found the head quite bulkhead and it was a bit tricky under the nose.

To be continued......

Come on did you expect anything else from Mr fussy?

@wayne mattison @Wayne Pritchard @Blademonkey @patw @Shave to the grave @Benz3ne
Always enjoy reading your reviews Rob...:)

Back
Top Bottom