S.O.T.D Saturday 16th November to Friday 22nd November 2013

Warm shower
Proraso pre, menthol
New Forest 1901, MWF
Weber Polished, Polsilver SI (2)
Cold splash
Clinique post-shave healer
Gucci Guilty Intense EDT

Classy ingredients... classy result. Excellent Sunday afternoon shave.
Coffee and a spot of rugby-watching on the telly now.

Sunday 17th November

Brush: Omega 10065
Soap: 3P
Razor: EverReady 1912
Blade: Gem (2)

Fantastic shave. Totally BBS. The SE is a great razor I should definitely use more. 3P was new on me, my brother bought some and gave me a chunk, and it's just like Vitos but a bit softer and slightly more scented. Fantastic lather and aftercare though as is Cella and Vitos. It's a great soap. Excellent Sunday shave.

[attachment=8940]Good Morning Prep Cream,
Palmolive Cream
Gillette Fatboy,
Astra SS,
Vulfix 'Grosvenor',
Alum Block,
Arran Aromatics 'Bay Citrus' ASB,
Barbershop Bay Rum.

Totally magnificent shave, and a nice, autumnal fragrance. Happy days!

Attachments

• IMG_2649.JPG
    IMG_2649.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 19
After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Simpsons rebranded best
'Webly'/Schick/Plus Platinum (NOS)
Mystic Waters Marrakesh SS
Neutrogena oil free moisture
Storer 'Monk for Men' EdP

Second shave using this soap and probably the last one. First time the lather was too airy and went away on my face pretty quick. Second time I doubled up on the brush loading and took lots more time making the lather on my face than usual. Decent texture but still too many bubbles with the lather disappearing quick. Also, even with extra product the lather wasn't enough for my normal amount of passes.

As you might figure, there's very little cushion although the slip partially helps make up for that. Scent wasn't bad at all.

I have heard this soap can be tough to lather and it's very possible user error is the problem. I don't care........I'm not gonna keep playing with it. Too bad because many reviews have been positive.

BBS results,

Martin

After weeks of going back to a Mach 3 I came back to my DE last week. The Mach 3 shaves were fine and all was well at first however started to develop some seriously painful spots/ingrowns so went back to DE and have had clear pain free shaves since. Lesson learned

Sunday

Merkur 34C
Crystal/IP
Omega 49
Proraso
Vifrex Dopobarba

Prep: Village Barber Balm / proroaso pre shave
Brush: Kent BK 8
Cream: Dr Harris - Windsor
Razor: Weber DLC / UFO U2

Haven't used this brush in at least 6 months and bowl lathered for even longer than that. But this was pure luxury; love the scent and feel of the Kent. Must use it more.

Face wash with Pears soap
Merkur Digress HD B / Laser
Simpson “Chubby” 3 Manchurian Cobalt
Nanny's Gentleman's shaving soap - French Lavender
Proraso Green A/S

Picked up a pack of the wilkinsons laser blades as I hadn't bought anything shave related for almost 2 days.

Got a rather nice shave off the first one I've tried, not the closest but very smooth and comfortable. Interested now to see if they hold their edge.

Sunday Eve

EJ DE87
7 o'clock yellow
NF Tubby1 in super 2 band
TOBS Eton College
C&E Sienna balm.

Coming to the end of the TOBS, so maybe 2 or 3 shaves left in the pot. Not sure whether to return to La Toja or break open a puck of C&E soap I've had. Not soap lathered in quite some time, so could be a bit of a learning curve...

Good evening, folks.

Where did the last 6 days go? Into my sink … that's where … whisked off by a Feather in an R41!

Oh, my goodness me, the R41 is one beautiful razor!

I last shaved six nights ago and that evening my cat patted me. He's a seven month old kitten, already four kilos and now over 3 feet long! He's mostly Maine Coon and that size of cat as that age of kitten is one interesting combination. The following day, an area of my top lip puffed up and by the evening, face pain and feeling pretty grim. TCP to the rescue, all cleaned out and a couple of days later the swelling went down. I left it until it was all healed up …

… which gave me plenty of time to grow a meadow for the R41. Not so much a razor, more a combine harvester!

With a run once Feather strapped in, I placed a great deal of attention to the angle, the pressure, the direction and the tautness of skin, and it paid off. Wow! VGS! Very good shave in one WTG pass. I am impressed! I previously used the Feather in a Merkur 37C Slant HD, which was very nice, but I felt that razor played better with a Silent Soviet Assassin, like the Sputnik I tried that razor with first. The Feather found its place in the R41.

Splitting the 37C and the R41, I'd say the 37C could be a fantastic daily razor, sweeping away both minimal and days of growth in that one pass - just that one pass would make a great daily shave. The R41 seemed to need more careful handling and certainly handled days of growth without even blinking. I must try a daily shave with it to compare, but initial impressions are extremely positive … and I meant to start this post with 'Best Shave Yet' … which it was.

Hot Rinse
Nuage Men PSO
Ingram's Shaving Cream
Pure Badger Brush
Muhle R41 templ8 Fencing Handle
Feather Hi-Stainless [2]
Hot Rinse
Cold Rinse
Witch Hazel/Olbas Oil Tonic
Brut Aftershave Lotion

Three Pass - very disciplined WTG, XTG & ATG
No polishing necessary

What else can I say? My Mrs enjoyed the stubble, I enjoyed the shave. I'll enjoy faceurbating tomorrow, I'm sure :D

IMG_4117.JPG

Pre - Men-U face wash
Cream - TOBS lime
Razor - first pass Gem Bullet/ Gem
Razor - second pass - restored Slim gold 5, 1/ Merkur blade
Brush - Muhle vintage limited edition (massive knot!)
Post - Alum/ Weleda ASB (recent Amazon enabler!)

Not a bad shave. Little tender for a while but think I set Slim too aggressive for second pass XG. Still getting to grips with SE which is why I only do first pass then bottle it.

pjgh said:
Vacker!

What a fantastic thing to be able to say ... I shaved with a pair of razors from the early 1800s, lathered with a brush from the same century. Wonderful!

200 years old. Wow!

That is very true! i cant belive thay are so old... but i got some info from a member. the stamps on the razors indicates clearly that thay where made betwin 1811-1823.. and im pretty sure thay never seen use before i got hold of them witch is amazing. John Weiss was a surgical instrument maker and granted the equivalent of 'permanent resident status' by King George IV on 11 October 1826, and later appointed 'Razor Maker to the King' old razors deserves to be used, thay perform just wonderful and will give me close shaves for many many more years. i think thay are something i will pass on.

Company today
http://www.johnweiss.com/instruments-catalogue

wiki info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Weiss_&_Son

stamp info
weiss_zps434de0d1.jpg

LEA shave stick
Progress on 3, 2
Astra Superior Platinum
Turkish no. 6
Vanda VH75 aftershave

Really good. Hadn't shaved since Friday morning and the razor and blade sliced beautifully through my stubble. Hadn't tried the LEA before and the first lather had too much water despite me trying to correct it; I think I didn't whip it up enough. Second lather for the second pass was much better. Great slip and more consistent distribution round my face. The soap has a plain generic soap smell which is not fancy but pleasant enough.
I wish I knew something about this aftershave - who made it, when... maybe some old adverts for it. Not found anything on Google.

NotTheStig said:
LEA shave stick
Progress on 3, 2
Astra Superior Platinum
Turkish no. 6
Vanda VH75 aftershave

Really good. Hadn't shaved since Friday morning and the razor and blade sliced beautifully through my stubble. Hadn't tried the LEA before and the first lather had too much water despite me trying to correct it; I think I didn't whip it up enough. Second lather for the second pass was much better. Great slip and more consistent distribution round my face. The soap has a plain generic soap smell which is not fancy but pleasant enough.
I wish I knew something about this aftershave - who made it, when... maybe some old adverts for it. Not found anything on Google.

According to this ebay listing it was made in the 1940's by Vanda Beauty Counselor. I understand this isn't definite but it's something I guess?

EDIT: I found this on a french forum (translated)
An aftershave alcoholic, "NOS" for New Old Stock. Vanda The brand is a company (I think French) cosmetic 70-80 years now defunct. My mother worked for the brand and got me a box of old unsold this glorious era. And I'm crazy for this perfume After shave, unfortunately I can not tell you what there is in it, the The label is pretty basic: VH75 aftershave, dopobarba blah blah blah. I will make you a picture when I have more time (and I think to suggest one or two bottles PA one day or another .. .).

Back
Top Bottom