S.O.T.D Sat. 26th Oct. to Frid.1st Nov. 2013

New Standard
Polsilver SI
Bath house Spanish Fig and Nutmeg
home made a/s
Turkish no. 6 brush

Good but closer and smoother with the second shave from my triple blade Supermax cartridge razor :-*

Thursday:

Evening, gents.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle
Blade: 7 o'clock green (27)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Palmolive
A/S: Alpa Fougere homebrew splash
Cologne: Alpa Fougere

Another good shave but for a small amount of soreness around my mouth. There was nothing to see, the shave was irritation-free, and the soreness didn't last long. If it gets worse tomorrow, I'll call it a month(!). If it was just my clumsiness today, maybe I'll carry on.

Thursday evening

Prep: Hot shower
Razor: iKon slant
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1)
Brush: Rudy Vey Custom 2 Band
Soap: MdC
A/S: Superdrug Forrest Fresh

After 4 days off work with no shaving I was interested to see how my new Slant handled it.

Answer is, with ease.

Very close, comfortable, 3 pass shave. First time with Superdrug A/S. nice fresh scent and nice on the skin. Happy days!

flip-68 said:
gillette executive (5,7,4)
gillette platinum (or is it a swede?) (1)
FS pur tech
Coates Rose shave cream
Boots freshwood a/s and balm

3 new items used in this shave and it showed - neck was red raw. I'll keep to the low numbers until i'm used to the razor. not sure if the blade was too sharp for the aggression of the razor. definitely a less effective shave than with the old type. Cream performed well - had a lovely scent for old stock and i'm looking forward to using it again. good lather but needed a bit of work to get going - i think i'll be less mean with product in future!

Rob Dery - are you sure you're other half isn't changing your blade every other day? ;)
Ha! Maybe I am kidding myself. But all my shave stuff does seem to generate an anti-female forcefield: the Boss usually mutters something about "silly self-indulgence" and stays well clear of the razors.

Early start in the morning down to Devon to see the rellies. Last day of half term so treats all round from Great Uncle Bob ( I have educated them at 6, 4 and 2.5 not to call me Robert)
Super Drug Pre shave
Cream Lea Bowl lathered
Razor EJ 89 Head on 13.5mm x 98mm self made handle
Polsilver Blade
New Forest ??
Pecksniff's ASB
Turkish Lemon cologne. From a BST deal.
I want to say something about this handle that I made, without blowing my own trumpet I have modified a bottom end EJ 89 and turned it into an awesome razor. The difference is off the wall. Before I started with the DE full time I read loads on here and other forums and the one thing that kept coming out was no pressure, in kicked the engineering brain, Why I ask myself. Well some of the more experienced D/Er's will have varying opinions but I think having the extra weight in the handle allows you to concentrate on the shave and not the razor, I don't think that explains it but I know what I mean. The razor takes care of it's self. I am so confident in this statement that I will make another for a PIF. The Muhle Grande is a lovely size but lacks a little weight IMO. The Murkur 38c Barber Pole is a very good razor for me also.
All opinions are my own but I would say don't knock it until you have tried it.

Well, I am very interested in trying it ... beyond that, I will pass it forward myself with a couple of blades and see how the snowball tumbles.

I'm not sure if you saw my custom handle, made by our own templ8:

IMG_3499.JPG

... attached to my Merkur 23C head with the Merkur handle alongside and a French fencing foil, which was the inspiration for the handle.

While the dimensions are 100mm x 12mm, or thereabouts, the pommel counterbalances the heavy handle perfectly and forms a shape that I can gently, yet firmly grip the handle by the end and ... as you say, concentrate on the shave rather than the razor.

Yeah, I'd be very interested to compare to your work ...

Prep: Hot wash/Splash
Pre: Proraso Pre shave cream
Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade: Gillette Super thin
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Body Shop Macca root
A/S: Tesco Pro After shave balm

THURSDAY EVENING

Last shaved on Tuesday night, so had two days growth of my thick, bristly beard to contend with.

Decided on the following assault team!

Prep: Warm rinse & Prep cream massaged into beard
Razor: Feather AC Kamisori with teak scales
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Semogue 2012 LE
Soap: Institute Karite - bowl lathered

Very nice shave to be going back to work with. That day off really benefitted my skin.

Am sat here facturbating as I type. Lovely.

today was:

hot shower
proraso pre-shave cream
palmolive cream mix with EJ sandlewood soap
Kropp Straight razor
Touch more proraso post-shave
TOBS aftershave balm (love that stuff)
Proraso AS

Good evening, gents.

IMG_3692.JPG

Hot Towels
Olive Oil PSO*
Palmolive Shaving Cream (Drop of Olbas Oil)
Pure Badger Brush
DE89 Head on my custom fencing foil handle
Wilkinson Sword [5] & Rapira Swedish Supersteel [3]
Hot Rinse
Cold Rinse
Alum Wash
Witch Hazel Tonic**
Tabac Aftershave Lotion
Recipe for Men Moisturiser

2x WTG then XTG
Localised areas of polishing

What a great shave! Every day, I can feel my stubble getting into better condition and more tamed, giving me better and better shaves.

Tonight, I went with my homemade PSO (Oils: Olive 75% Avocado 15% Coconut 10%; Essential Oils: Ylang Ylang, Grapefruit, Olbas blend) and then whisked up some Palmolive Shaving Cream with a drop of Olbas Oil which turned out not quite as effective as Ingram's but certainly felt me lubricating, rich, thick and moisturising. I take back anything I've said about Palmolive - I am now finding it a very acceptable shaving cream.

My choice of mower tonight was a DE89 head on my custom fencing handle. Blades, after the last shave I was curious about the Wilkinson Sword (now on its 5th run) which performed perfectly well for two WTG shaves. I'm finding that a couple of WTG passes followed by XTG works well for me, rather than with, cross and against. Switching over to the Rapira Swedish Supersteel (3rd run) for a cross the grain pass and some light polishing in localised areas worked out well. I think the Rapira is perhaps at its end, but the Wilkinson Sword is still smooth and quiet.

Hot rinse, cold rinse, alum wash, splash of homemade Witch Hazel Tonic (containing drops of Ylang Ylang, Patchouli, Grapefruit, Lemon, Tea Tree and Olbas Oils), I felt really good and splashed on a small amount of Tabac. Lovely job. Later, just a little Recipe for Men Moisturiser. Sorted. BBS.

IMG_3677.JPG

BTW, which picture do you prefer? I'm playing with more arty shots, so more blurred and into the detail or a decent minimalist but full shot?

Friday 1st November

Brush: Omega 20102
Cream: RSC Shave2 Cream
Razor: EJ89 Barley
Blade: Racer (1) with shim

Absolutely perfect. Using simple stuff after a few bad shaves, and I couldn't have asked for a better shave. This blade is so smooth, and the results are great. I'll be sticking to this combination for a while. Very happy.

That's a nice looking handle. Now if only I had access to a bigger and better lathe.

pjgh said:
Well, I am very interested in trying it ... beyond that, I will pass it forward myself with a couple of blades and see how the snowball tumbles.

I'm not sure if you saw my custom handle, made by our own templ8:

IMG_3499.JPG

... attached to my Merkur 23C head with the Merkur handle alongside and a French fencing foil, which was the inspiration for the handle.

While the dimensions are 100mm x 12mm, or thereabouts, the pommel counterbalances the heavy handle perfectly and forms a shape that I can gently, yet firmly grip the handle by the end and ... as you say, concentrate on the shave rather than the razor.

Yeah, I'd be very interested to compare to your work ...

Friday Morning:

Henckels Friodur 5/8"
Custom Finest Badger (TGN)-Omega Handle
Taylor of Old Bond Street, Sandalwood soap
Face Lather
Neil Miller-2.5" Latigo Leather
Taylor of Old Bond Street, Sandalwood ASL
WTG, XTG & ATG (neck)

My best wishes for November!

%25CE%2591%25CE%25BD%25CF%2584%25CE%25AF%25CE%25B3%25CF%2581%25CE%25B1%25CF%2586%25CE%25BF+%25CE%25B1%25CF%2580%25CF%258C+SOTD-1-11-2013-2.JPG

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpY5OKso1ew[/video]

Trumpers Coral Skin Food
D R Harris Almond SC
Saville Row Silvertip
Shavette thing/half a Derby - in an effort to sharpen sideburns
Merkur HD Gold
Lord Cool
Floid Suave
Thayers Cucumber
Kiehl's Soothing, Nourishing FC for Men
Lush Vanishing Cream
Trumpers Eucris

It's hard to believe that there are men who do not enact this luxurious rite every morning. But I know it's true. I used to be one of them.

Greetings

Friday 1st November 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM 1912 Damaskeene
Blade: GEM Blue Star Carbon
Brush: Burma Shave Boar
Soap: Lea Stick grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

Superb shave.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04811.JPG