S.O.T.D Sat. 19th Oct. to Frid. 25th Oct. 2013

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Simpsons best
Cobra/Kai Mild
C&S #88 SS
Neutrogena oil free moisture
Givenchy 'Xeryus' EdT (black bottle)

Fourth shave with this razor/blade and it's working out just ok. Before trying the Cobra, I had a feeling the blade might be a problem. Yeah, if a blade's too sharp I need to pay more attention to detail, plus the comfort level isn't what I like. That's what's happening here.......a very close shave over the easy to get to spots, and having to be careful over the tougher areas. I don't see any technique tweaks fixing this, but will continue using the same set up for a while longer just to make sure. I just don't care for the way the blade feels on my face......just a little bit too intrusive. Man, very glad not to have bought one of these things.

Heh, that unopened travel puck of the #88 had been calling to me for a while now from the arsenal and today was the day. Really good performance with a scent I still don't know about.

BBS results,

Martin

pjgh said:
How do you like it in a 'New' razor? They're considered more aggressive, right? I don't think I'd dare drop it into the 'New' OC I have here on loan.

i dont find the new particularly aggressive to be honest, the rapira swedish is a nice blade and in the new i get a really good shave, its quite user friendly, give it a go :)

Nearly forgot...

Nivea face wash
Gillette Tech (slotted head)
SuperMax Titanium (1)
Semogue 830
Proraso Green
Nivea Balm

Pleasantly surprised by this cheapo blade. Let's see how long it lasts.

isaiah53 said:
pjgh said:
How do you like it in a 'New' razor? They're considered more aggressive, right? I don't think I'd dare drop it into the 'New' OC I have here on loan.

i dont find the new particularly aggressive to be honest, the rapira swedish is a nice blade and in the new i get a really good shave, its quite user friendly, give it a go :)

Okay ... maybe ... maybe ... I'll run it through a Parat or my new Slim Twist for a second go and then drop it into the open comb 'New' for a final run, which should be really nice and smooth.

The way I shave, I find the third run the best. First can be rough, often needing a re-strop mid-shave for perfection, second is good, third great, fourth noisy and dragging.

Okay, yeah ... I'll schedule it in for that third run. I'll have to hand those lovely razors back at the end of the week, but I hope to have replacements of my own ... fingers crossed to the eBay deities.

I have to say, I'm finding the 'New' open comb to be a real favourite, especially for "polishing" with the day. There's something about the weight that is just right; perhaps the glide is better than solid bar equivalents?

Thursday 24th October

Brush: Vulfix Bodger
Soap: Derby stick in a bowl
Razor: Schick L Type
Blade: Personna (3)

Not much to say, a wonderful shave in every respect.

Tuesday morning:

Joseph Rodgers & Sons 5/8"
Semogue 2000
La toja stick (in a bowl)
Neil Miller-2.5" Latigo Leather
Taylor of Old Bond Street, Sandalwood ASL
WTG, XTG & ATG (neck)

Great shave. This razor is realy smooth.

%25CE%2591%25CE%25BD%25CF%2584%25CE%25AF%25CE%25B3%25CF%2581%25CE%25B1%25CF%2586%25CE%25BF+%25CE%25B1%25CF%2580%25CF%258C+SOTD-24-10-2013-1.JPG

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso preshave - sensitive
Soap: NSS Cedarwood & Vetyver
Brush: MÜHLE Kosmo silvertip synthetic
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor: Weber polished + Bulldog
Blade: Astra SS (3)
After: Brut AS, Bodyshop Arber ASB

I'm getting to know this soap better now, resulting in much more consistent results. I need a good half minute loading the brush to get enough product but once that's done lathering up is not a problem. One of my favourite scents.
This Astra SS blade has gone up in my estimation. Maybe it's because of the Weber but its third use is still giving lovely BBS results. Time for a blade change though and try out another brand.
Next time there's a sale in Bodyshop I'd recommend the ASB, a fine conditioner.

Good day, chaps.

SOTD20131024_zps2cd67ab0.jpg

Greetings

Thursday 24th October 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Schick L1 Injector
Blade: Personna Stainless Coated
Brush: Frank Shaving Pur-Tech
Soap: Cella
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

Superb shave but I am still unsure about this brush, it's not bad in any way just so very different to what I am accustomed to. I would liken it to trying to compare a sirloin steak to grilled squid, they are both food (and both delicious) but are so different any comparisons are meaningless.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04784.JPG

Wacker stosser old Sheffield wedge 13/16
Kanayama cordovan #8000
Morris & Forndran M7 in faux Tortoishell
Cella crems da barba
Witch hazel
Kiehl's aftershave balm
Kiehl's Musk original blend No.1

I think I'm coming around to these wedges as long as you get the edge right they can be cracking shavers.

Wednesday evening

Clinique Face soap
Merkur Progress XL
Supermax stainless
C&E super badger
Cella
Proraso AS.

Another great shave, really on a roll with the Cella, finally getting great lather every time I use it. Something has clicked and I'm very glad it has.

Thursday:

Morning, everybody.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle
Blade: 7 o'clock green (20)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Bath House Spanish Fig and Nutmeg
A/S: Ogallala Bay Rum and Sandalwood

Another excellent shave. The Ogallala aftershave is still smellable at the time of writing.

Prep: FitjarSoap Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Merkur HD
Blade: Sputnik (2)
Brush: Frank Shaving Finest Badger
Cream: Al's Shaving Palermo
Aftershave: Captains Choice Cat o' 9 Tails
Moisturiser: None needed.

Sputnik is the name of the least respected artist in Norway. Even though his music is loved by thousands, it is also despised by even more. Myself included.
Because of this, the name/word Sputnik does not have a positive cling to it in Casa Norseman. But that changed after this shave.
The Sputnik blade just delivered a stunning performance. My smoothest and most comfortable shave I've had in a long time. I did not even have to put on a moisturiser.

The cream from Al's shaving deserves some of the credit. After a few disappointing shaves with this product, I am happy to day that I finally discovered why they call it the bomb.
Still not perfect, but kilometres ahead from what I managed to produce before. A slight adjustment from my water/cream ration, and I believe I will hit the jackpot.

This is the amount of lather I whipped up before the shave:

[attachment=8785]

Post shave picture:

[attachment=8786]

Attachments

• AlsPreshave.JPG
    AlsPreshave.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 24.10.2013.JPG
    24.10.2013.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 19
Back