S.O.T.D Sat. 19th Oct. to Frid. 25th Oct. 2013

Norseman said:
I've purchased a sample pack from Al's shaving, and have had some difficulties with it. Probably the only person in the world to struggle with this product, since it always receives top marks on every review and customer feedback I have read
Today's shave was no exception, and I suffered from lack of slickness, protection and enjoyment. I guess, I just have to keep on practising. Maybe I will discover why this cream is applauded by everyone in the end.

I'm not familiar with the product, but keep at it.

As a newcomer as well, one thing I've found with cream is ... when I think I've got it perfect, the next time is even better. Getting the perfect consistency is a skill in which you have to take into consideration how the lather will change during the shave.

Try a couple of test lathers - under do it, get it just right, over do it. Try the overdone again after a few minutes - it will have changed.

Something that I think gives me a real advantage is to heat the bowl up. I use a porcelain cereal bowl which is left under running hot water with my razor in while I do my pre-shave routine: hot towels and then an olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil and citrus juice lotion.

The heat holds through the shave. Also, the lather kind of thickens up to a luscious cream by the third pass.

Keep at it ... you'll get there.

Also, fun to see your patriotism using the Fitjar. I have the Shea Shaving Cream, courtesy of a good chap here who sent me the tail end of his bowl. Lovely stuff!

Face wash with Pears soap
Cobra Classic - Dorco Blade
Rudy Vey custom redwood burl with 23mm Shavemac knot
Penhaligons Sartorial Soap
Proraso Green A/S

Four days stubble gone - easy peasy :)

Prep: Shower, Hot cloth
Pre: Proraso Pre shave cream
Soap: Scent from heaven - Old Spice type
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Merkur R41
Blade: Rapira
AS: Scent from Heaven Old spice AS Balm/Nivea Sensitive post shave balm
EDt: Superdrug Sierran Breeze

Had the Scent from heaven stuff a week now but was saving it for tonights shave. I bought it on a whim from ebay when i spotted they did an 'Old Spice' type. Very disappointed to be honest, although the soap initially produced laods of soap it wasn't up to the job, and didn't last on the brush for my 2nd and 3rd pass.
The AS balm actually burned my skin so quickly wash off and had to apply the Nivea.

Eveything else performed as expected.

dodgy said:
After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

Savile Row badger
Cobra/Kai Mild
Xpec SC
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Miller Harris 'feuilles de tabac' EdT

First shave with the Cobra and it will take a couple more to form an accurate opinion, or maybe not. I don't see things changing but who knows. Was ok, but it needs to get better. This will get a thorough test drive.

BBS results,

Martin

Give it until you're in double figures until you form your opinion, Mart. It'll be a few shaves until the fierceness of the blade calms down.

SUNDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot rinse & Prep cream massaged into beard
Razor: Kai Captain Excelia
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 Best
Soap: Nanny's Nutmeg Spice hard soap - face lathered

Really good shave tonight. Not one nick.

Interesting comparing the Kai to the Feather Artist Club. I'd say the Kai is lighter and nimbler. It takes a bit more effort to get a really close shave but you're less likely to nick yourself or get irritation. The Feather mows down stubble but I have to be more careful when using it.

Nice to have them both in the arsenal though. I can see how straight shaving can get very addictive so I'm hoping what I have will be my only foray into it (and I will retain a small marmoset rather than 'cut throat Kong' appearing on my back).

Hi folks,

This morning mine was :

Prep: Hot rinse
Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade: Feather
Brush: 1276 - Verderer Elite (Rodney Neep)
Soap: TOBS St James Collection Luxury

Tall_Paul said:
First shave with the Cobra and it will take a couple more to form an accurate opinion, or maybe not. I don't see things changing but who knows. Was ok, but it needs to get better. This will get a thorough test drive.

Martin

Give it until you're in double figures until you form your opinion, Mart. It'll be a few shaves until the fierceness of the blade calms down.

[/quote]

Ok thanks Paul,

Yeah, right now I think the blade's a little much, plus I will probably need a bit of tweaking most likely. I have a few different blades to sample and will give each one 4 shaves or so.

Dovo Best Quality 6/8"
Semogue 2000
Cella
Face Lather
Neil Miller-2.5" Latigo Leather
Floid Suave
WTG, XTG & ATG (neck)

Have a nice week!

%25CE%2591%25CE%25BD%25CF%2584%25CE%25AF%25CE%25B3%25CF%2581%25CE%25B1%25CF%2586%25CE%25BF+%25CE%25B1%25CF%2580%25CF%258C+SOTD-21-10-2013-2.JPG

Monday:

Nanny's French Lavender hard soap
NF Tubby 2
Slim Adjustable
Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow
Pinaud Vanilla AS

Great shave, shame it has to be Monday though.

Greetings

Monday 21st October 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Schick G1 Injector
Blade: Personna Stainless Coated
Brush: Semogue OC Boar
Cream: Speick
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

Easy and great shave.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04775.JPG

Prep: Hot water face wash with Boots No 7 Face wash the Proraso pre/post green
Soap: C&E West Indian Lime
Brush: SOC Cherry Boar
Razor: UFO Kaiser with Weber DLC
Blade: Shark SS (2)
Cologne: Superdrug sierran breeze

One of those shaves when everything came together. Irritation free and BBS results, even on the troublesome neck area.

Back
Top Bottom