Tabac stick grated scuttle lathered
Simpson 59 best badger brush
Gillette NEW deluxe chrome
Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
Old Spice Sensitive aftershave

Decent shave very nice :)

Monday 12-16-13. MUSIC: Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue (1980).

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ12mfT37BY[/video]

656eb175-fbd4-4f66-ac1d-074668b59960_zpsd1eb571f.jpg

Soap from Alepo - Chubby 1 best badger - Gillette Rocket HD 500 - Astra green #2 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving cream Al's Boheme - Alum block - Thayers Original Astringent - ASB Sul Filo del Rasoio - ASL Pinaud Clubman.

Nanny's Vetyver shaving soap
Edwin Jagger boar
Schick M on 2 with Gillette Platinum Plus (4)
Cold water

Just got this soap from another member. I love vetyver and this smells great on the skin. Lovely slick creamy lather, loads of protection and loads of cushion and leaves skins feeling great. The nutty smell which might be in part to the Shea butter lessens once lathered and allows the vetyver to really shine through. In every single aspect shaving soap is the best I've tried all year and is now in my top five!

NotTheStig said:
Nanny's Vetyver shaving soap
... I love vetyver and this smells great on the skin. Lovely slick creamy lather, loads of protection and loads of cushion and leaves skins feeling great. The nutty smell which might be in part to the Shea butter lessens once lathered and allows the vetyver to really shine through. In every single aspect shaving soap is the best I've tried all year and is now in my top five!

I agree that the NSS is one of the best. I've also got Vetyver but have not used it yet. I'm really not sure of the scent: does it change much once lathered compared to the smell in the tin?

Yes - once lathered it loses most of that nutty smell and the vetyver comes out more. It also stays on the skin after the shave if you use cold water instead of aftershave. Half an hour later and I can still smell it faintly on my top lip (and passers by think I'm blowing them kisses)

NotTheStig said:
Yes - once lathered it loses most of that nutty smell and the vetyver comes out more. It also stays on the skin after the shave if you use cold water instead of aftershave. Half an hour later and I can still smell it faintly on my top lip (and passers by think I'm blowing them kisses)

Thanks. Think I might scrape a bit off the top with a knife and give it a whirl. That way I should still be able to give it as a present if I don't like it!

Monday:

Evening, gents.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89 with Bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock blue (3)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: Erasmic new
Aftershave: Grey Flannel
Cologne: Grey Flannel

Easy, decent shave.

Prep: Hot shower, followed by Neutrogena Razor Defense Face Scrub
Pre: Village Barber oil
Soap: RazoRock Don Marco
Brush: California Redwood Burl handle, 24mm TGN Finest 2-band
Razor: E&J DE89 w/iKon bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette Super Thin (1)
ASB: Village Barber balm

Face lathered the RR this morning. Not sure I did it right since I only got very limited lather. I'll go back to my bowl lathering tomorrow.
IMG_20131215_200616.jpg

fatip/ parker 91r handle
rapira swedish supersteel
semogue oc 2 band
panna crema namaste
vintage shulton old spice AS

excellent shave. bought the fatip as the fatip piccolo and had varying results with it. earlier this year i put a big parker handle on it and now i get consistently excellent shaves from it, probably my favourite razor.

Hi Guys, although new to DE shaving I have always tried to have a good shave and firmly believe good preparation is an important part of the complete process. I have been using handed down 70s tech. Today I really took my time and had a great shave which left me feeling good for a long time afterwards. This was my process today Monday 16th December 2013

1.Face washed with warm water and unscented soap (Johnson's baby soap)
2. Aqua de Parma face scrub
3. Rinse with warm water
4. Aqua de Parma shaving cream applied to face in a pea sized amount on each cheek then lathered with Bluebeards Revenge brush. Lovely lather not too foamy but a thick consistency adequate for three passes.
5. Shave with 1973 Gillette tech with high street Wilkinson Sword blade
6. Face washed with warm water
7. Clinique post shave balm slight astringent effect under chin
8. Aqua de Parma after shave balm.

Very happy with the progress I am making, still struggling a bit on my top lip and right side of my neck. I like the razor but feel I may benefit from a longer handle but time will tell. [/align]

Next up is to get an Alum block and start to experiment with different blades.

Cheers.

What's up with your top lip? You can always do it properly with the grain, as in from the middle out on your first pass and then cross the grain from your nose to your lip on the second run.

Yeah, an alum block is ace - I use mine religiously and it gives me perfect feedback as to how my shave went. Post-shave, hot rinse, cold rinse, alum ... 60 seconds ... cold rinse and aftershave. Alum confirms how you think your shave went, or otherwise.

pjgh said:
What's up with your top lip? You can always do it properly with the grain, as in from the middle out on your first pass and then cross the grain from your nose to your lip on the second run.

Yeah, an alum block is ace - I use mine religiously and it gives me perfect feedback as to how my shave went. Post-shave, hot rinse, cold rinse, alum ... 60 seconds ... cold rinse and aftershave. Alum confirms how you think your shave went, or otherwise.

Hi Mate, it's just getting in nice and close under my nose and the transition to my lip. I'm sure it will come with practice, I never gave it a moments notice using my ld Mach 3 but I am really trying to get good quality shaves each time now.

Cheers

I have to go ATG to get my lip nice and smooth. Most of the time, I just put up with it not being as smooth as the rest of my face. I have a patch at the edge of my jawline that never gets smooth. That said, tonight, I bagged both ... perfect ... not sure how ... it was all kind of random, but it worked out. I think take a very close look at how the hair grows and get that with and across the grain just perfect. Right under the nose up to the nostrils, well, you might just need an upward swipe ATG.

It comes ...

One day, you'll bag it and you'll know how. I don't mean that flippantly, but as you progress (and I'm only three months into this, BTW) you'll start to flow with your beard map and you'll have it. As I said, my top lip is usually just a bit scratchy, especially at the edges. It can help to inflate your mouth and work around it - I gather this is a trick that straight edge guys use.

Well, blow me down! That was the best shave yet ...

I think I've said that only a couple of times before, but tonight I really got the best shave yet. It started badly, became phenomenal!

I've been waiting for my MÜHLE R89 JET to arrive for what feels like an age - actually, 10 days. I really thought it was lost in the post, but imagine my joy to have it arrive today, safe, sound and utterly flawless. If I could be in love with something other than a woman or a cat (or a car), it'd be a razor ... and this would be she.

I've been waiting so long and built up an imaginary shave in my mind for so long, that I forgot it. It had Alt Innsbruck, Eucris, black blades, all sorts ... but I just grabbed a bunch of products that I thought would really suit my mood and this first shave with a razor that I've waited so long for.

DSC04067.JPG

Hot Towel
Edwin Jagger PSC (Metholated)
Edwin Jagger Soap (Mentholated)
Edwin Jagger Best Badger 21mm
MÜHLE R89 JET
Gillette Blue (1952 X2) [1]
Sputnik Stainless PTFE [7]
Hot Rinse
Cold Rinse
Alum Wash
Cold Rinse
Edwin Jagger PSC (Metholated)
Quorum Aftershave
GFT Eucris EDT

Three Pass - 2xATG 1xWTG

On one day's growth, I slipped a 1952 X2 Gillette Blue blade in. I have a NSO collection of Gillette Blue blades and thought tonight was the night ... first pass, almost no stubble removal. I know the R89 is a mild razor, but this did not shift anything. I changed the angle and got a better swipe.

Okay, it's not going well ... ditch the blade. Strapping in my now 7th run Sputnik Stainless PTFE and having established the angle, this pass shifted the day's growth. Re-lathering in the soap dish, since the first lathering was weak and all gone now, I face lathered. Oh, my goodness! So THIS is face lathering? I get it now. I get it! Face lathered, I made a cross pass to finish up.

Just a little polishing and ... Gah! I nicked my top lip. No drama! Hot rinse, cold rinse, alum wash, cold rinse and I've got a smooth, clean and defect-free face. Pat some Edwin Jagger PSC (Mentholated) all over and rub in, gorgeous face feel. Pat dry and a splash of Quorum.

How fantastic do I feel?

Now, aftershave dried, nothing but smooth as the proverbial! Time for some Eucris ...

Back
Top Bottom