S.O.T.D. Sat.14th Dec. 2013 to Frid. 20th Dec. 2013

Head shave with Clinique Aloe M-Gel and Gillette Fusion ProGlide.

The moustache of awesomeness is being held in place using Firehouse Dark and Firehouse Wacky Tacky moustache wax.

I'm also wearing Chanel Cuir De Russie EDT.

Greetings

Sunday 15th December 2012
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM Damaskeene OC
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: Vie-Long Horse
Soap: Speick Stick grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

Super shave.

Regards
Dick.

DSC05007.JPG

782sirbrian said:
Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

DSC05007.JPG

How would you discribe the Horse hair brush Dick ? I've been eyeing them up at G&C.

Greetings Brian

Frankly I don't like it that much. Most of the hairs are as soft as silk but in the middle of the knot are lots of stiff hairs that have tips like tiny needles, this gives the knot a real prickly feel to it. Also the knot is quite intolerant of 'mashing' I mean pushing firmly against the face to splay the bristles, after about nine months or so of use I had to take a bodkin and tease out a mass of tangled hairs in the centre of the knot it appeared the knot was developing a doughnut but this was not the case just a mass of tangled bent bristles.

All in all I am quite disappointed with it, this model is the Vie-Long 13061M which is the unbleached version with 35% mane and 65% tail hair, where the prickly bits come from I don't know. I don't know if other models have this prickliness to them or not.

As a very minor consolation the handle is a very nice shape to hold I have been seriously thinking about steaming out the knot and replacing it with something different. The real shame about this sorry tale is that it knocks up lather as good as, or better than just about any other brush I have but with it's dire face feel that seems of little significance!

It would be nice to hear about other peoples experiences with Vie Long horse brushes perhaps some of the models are fine.

Regards
Dick.

Sunday, 15.xii.2013

Predopobarba Proraso
Vintage Semogue 650 Silvertip
Musgo Real Oak Moss
Gillette New Long Comb w/ BRW Bullmastiff Deluxe
Croma Diamant
Thayer's Witch Hazel Lemon
Manufaktura Beer ASB

P1080027.jpg

Have a great week, gentlemen!

Muhle R41 2013' Ikon Bulldog Handle
Treet Platinum Super Stainless
Green Mountain Nick's Red Jacket Soap
WSP Prince Silvertip
Every Man Jack Signature Mint Post Shave
Bowling Green After Shave (Geoffrey Beane)
World Market Scuttle

Sunday, December 15th, 2013

Sunday, December 15th, 2013

149215d1387116579-sun-december-15th-sat-december-21st-sotd-15122013.jpg

Mastro Livi, 7/8 Full Hollow, Mastro Livi Point, Damasteel

• Pre-shave: Myrsol Emulsión
  • Soap: Mondial Almond Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silver Tip Badger Brush
  • Bowl: Gerby Steel Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
  • Razor: Mastro Livi, 7/8 Full Hollow, Mastro Livi Point, Damasteel
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Myrsol F./Extra After Shave

Sunday 15th December

SOTD151213_zps76914420.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Tabac stick grated scuttle lathered
Simpson Hive Manchurian badger brush
Gillette NEW deluxe chrome
Gillette 7 o'clock super stainless (2)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
Old Spice Sensitive aftershave

Decent shave no big drama just one small weeper at the bottom of my neck stopped with the cold rinse.

Greetings Brian

Frankly I don't like it that much. Most of the hairs are as soft as silk but in the middle of the knot are lots of stiff hairs that have tips like tiny needles, this gives the knot a real prickly feel to it. Also the knot is quite intolerant of 'mashing' I mean pushing firmly against the face to splay the bristles, after about nine months or so of use I had to take a bodkin and tease out a mass of tangled hairs in the centre of the knot it appeared the knot was developing a doughnut but this was not the case just a mass of tangled bent bristles.

All in all I am quite disappointed with it, this model is the Vie-Long 13061M which is the unbleached version with 35% mane and 65% tail hair, where the prickly bits come from I don't know. I don't know if other models have this prickliness to them or not.

As a very minor consolation the handle is a very nice shape to hold I have been seriously thinking about steaming out the knot and replacing it with something different. The real shame about this sorry tale is that it knocks up lather as good as, or better than just about any other brush I have but with it's dire face feel that seems of little significance!

It would be nice to hear about other peoples experiences with Vie Long horse brushes perhaps some of the models are fine.

Regards
Dick.
[/quote]

Thankyou for your thoughts and experiences with the brush Dick. We'll see if anyone else has a comment to make....

Shower and the usual face wash with Clinique soap
Proraso green pre shave cream
First shave using proraso white soap
Art of shaving pure badger brush
Parker 22r razor with a feather blade
A wipe over afterwards with distilled witch hazel on a cotton pad
Arko sensitive after shave cream

Cold water splash
Valobra Stick (grated)
Golden Nib 2-band badger / Vulfix Grosvenor handle
Weber Polished / Bulldog
Voskhod (1)
Speick ASB
Penhaligon's Opus 1870 EdT

Much better and more enjoyable shave today than yesterday's rushed 2-pass job :)

Prep with hot water
Lather up Palmolive cream in my hand
Parker 20 with 1 day old Supermax stainless steel
Wash off with hot water
Finish with Nivea Sensitive balm

Better shave today smoother. Need a good one tomorrow interview day

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, menthol
Muhle Silvertip, Cella
Gillette Slim(#4), Polsilver SI (2)
Cold splash
Proraso AS cream

The Slim seems really light and dinky after being used to the Digress and SS razors. It needed a third pass and I had to keep reminding myself to keep to zero pressure. It'll be interesting to try out the Fatboy again soon.
No complaints about the results, though... excellent shave.

WiffWaff said:
Hot flannel
Proraso pre, menthol
Muhle Silvertip, Cella
Gillette Slim(#4), Polsilver SI (2)
Cold splash
Proraso AS cream

The Slim seems really light and dinky after being used to the Digress and SS razors. It needed a third pass and I had to keep reminding myself to keep to zero pressure. It'll be interesting to try out the Fatboy again soon.
No complaints about the results, though... excellent shave.

Strange how you get used to something Steve. I'm used to the vintage razors now and the modern DE's seem heavy.

Back
Top Bottom