Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet Shaving Cream
Tiffany Bowl
Weber DLC
Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue SP
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet Aftershave Balm

Burgundy said:
Yesterday

Gillette Aristocrat #16

So how does the #16 perform for you? Good as you were hoping for? Personally I really liked that thing and thought it one of the best UK made Aristo types of the ones I've tried.

Martin

Sunday 10-13-13. MUSIC: Grant Green - Idle Moments.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsOd3w_BI_c[/video]

8a5a7b4b-aba5-4186-a660-d995e4728167.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Semogue SOC two bands - Gillette Fat Boy - Astra green #4 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Mike's Sandalwood & Vanilla EO - Alum block - Thayers Original Astringent - ASB Truefitt & Hill - ASL Pinaud Clubman Vanilla.

dodgy said:
Burgundy said:
Yesterday

Gillette Aristocrat #16

So how does the #16 perform for you? Good as you were hoping for? Personally I really liked that thing and thought it one of the best UK made Aristo types of the ones I've tried.

Martin
Less smooth than the #22/66 and more biter than the #21. It's taken a couple of nicks out of me - yesterday aside. I find it less intuitive than those two; I sometimes find the #15 hard work too. Maybe it's this specific example?

At some point I'll do a proper write-up but I've plenty of playing a around to do still. My favourite of the lot is the #22. Looks identical to the #16 - bar the triangular base plate - and I'm finding it gentle but close-shaving. Knowing your preference in razors, I'm surprised this isn't one that you use!

Sunday, October 13th, 2013

[attachment=8697]

Back home: Mastro Livi Damasteel

• Pre-shave: Proraso Green Pre Shave Cream
  • Soap: Cella Shaving Cream
  • Brush: Wilkinson Boar Brush
  • Bowl: Stainless Steel Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
  • Razor: Mastro Livi, 7/8 Full Hollow, Mastro Livi Point, Damasteel
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd The Genuine After Shave

Attachments

• SOTD-13102013.jpg
    SOTD-13102013.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 21
Sunday 13th October

SOTD131013_zps58844206.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Nanny's Warm Spice hard soap scuttle lathered
Simpson Milk Churn best badger brush
Gillette NEW 2 piece
Sputnik (3)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
Sir Irisch Moos aftershave balsam

Comfortable shave very good. A different razor and new blade set up for tomorrows shave.

Prep: Cold water
Soap: T&H 1805 cream
Brush: Simpson Commodore X3
Razor: Weber POL/Bulldog
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (1)
EdT: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

The Rapira blade I used the last couple of days performed very poorly so decided to compare back to back with a new one. Much better this time! Must have been a faulty blade.

FrankieG said:
Prep: Cold water
Soap: T&H 1805 cream
Brush: Simpson Commodore X3
Razor: Weber POL/Bulldog
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (1)
EdT: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

The Rapira blade I used the last couple of days performed very poorly so decided to compare back to back with a new one. Much better this time! Must have been a faulty blade.

I had a Rapira Swede perform very well on first shave, then took delivery of the very first made Digress for trial, popped in the Rapira and it was seriously blunt to the point that I thought my Progress had been ruined.

I unscrewed the adjuster TWO FULL TURNS number 10 in effect, gradually of course, and it would not even look at 2 days stubble.

I was really really worried, popped in a Lab blue and all was well again!

Must be a quality control issue with the Swede's?

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Simpsons best
1931 Goodwill/Iridium
Safari SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Hai Karate 'Oriental Spice' AS (used as cologne)

So I tried this new to me razor........for one pass. Sheeesh, it reminded me of why I don't like most open combs. This was the long tooth version, which should be on the milder side. Yeah, I did the first downward pass and said the hell with it. Finished up in comfort with the Webly.

The Hai Karate was a real treasure of an estate sale find from long ago. Full bottle from 1966-69 with plenty of pop left. Smells just about as good as Old Spice, which is what it was invented to compete with. Nice old juice.

BBS results,

Martin

Burgundy said:

Martin
Less smooth than the #22/66 and more biter than the #21. Maybe it's this specific example?

My favourite of the lot is the #22. I'm finding it gentle but close-shaving. Knowing your preference in razors, I'm surprised this isn't one that you use!
[/quote]

Sadly, I don't see UK made razors in the wilds of Chicago very often, so I will rely on trades to avoid paying any sorta retail price. That works out well for both parties usually. So I have only tried the 15,16, 21, 58, and the Popular. That #22 is one I would like to test drive sometime, but it's never worked out as far as acquiring one. The #58 is my favorite of that bunch. Sheeesh, now you're saying I would probably like the #22 a lot.

Thanks........

Face wash with Pears soap
Merkur Digress HD B / Polsilver
Simpsons B1 Beaufort Butterscotch
Proraso Green Cream (New Formula)
Proraso Green A/S

One of my better efforts tonight :)

dodgy said:
After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Simpsons best
1931 Goodwill/Iridium
Safari SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Hai Karate 'Oriental Spice' AS (used as cologne)

So I tried this new to me razor........for one pass. Sheeesh, it reminded me of why I don't like most open combs. This was the long tooth version, which should be on the milder side. Yeah, I did the first downward pass and said the hell with it. Finished up in comfort with the Webly.

The Hai Karate was a real treasure of an estate sale find from long ago. Full bottle from 1966-69 with plenty of pop left. Smells just about as good as Old Spice, which is what it was invented to compete with. Nice old juice.

BBS results,

Martin

Burgundy said:

Martin
Less smooth than the #22/66 and more biter than the #21. Maybe it's this specific example?

My favourite of the lot is the #22. I'm finding it gentle but close-shaving. Knowing your preference in razors, I'm surprised this isn't one that you use!

Sadly, I don't see UK made razors in the wilds of Chicago very often, so I will rely on trades to avoid paying any sorta retail price. That works out well for both parties usually. So I have only tried the 15,16, 21, 58, and the Popular. That #22 is one I would like to test drive sometime, but it's never worked out as far as acquiring one. The #58 is my favorite of that bunch. Sheeesh, now you're saying I would probably like the #22 a lot.

Thanks........
[/quote]I'll keep an eye out for a #66 or #22 for you, if you like?

Sunday xiii October, 2013

Sunday evening shave

Prep: Amphora Neroli glycerin soap
Brush: Coates Fitzwilliam pure badger
Cream: Proraso Red
Razor: Digress HD
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless
Post: Home brewed Lemon Tea Tree Menthol WH, Institut Karité ASB

Result: With the arrival of son & heir schedules have gone out of the window, so a nice, quick sunday evening shave today. All protagonists totally up to scratch, but the big plus was my home brewed Lemon Tea Tree Mentholated Witch Hazel. Wow, what a freeze. Loving it and still a nice gentle chill 15 minutes down the line. And so simple too - a few drops of essential oil into a bottle of WH. Then some ground up menthol crystals.. a little at a time until it feels as icy as you want. Wonderful.

All the best, gents.

Jon[/b]

Hot Shower
Proraso Pre/Post Green
Proraso Green Tub lathered in Ikea rice bowl
Unbranded Pure Badger Brush
EJ DE89
Personna from Asda
Nivea sensitive ASB
Trumpers Limes Cologne

First time I've tried the Asda Personna, quite happy with the result. Love the trumpers, smells like Roses Lime Marmalade on my face, shame it doesn't last long.

Back
Top Bottom