S.O.T.D Sat. 12th Oct. to Frid. 18th Oct. 2013

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Simpsons best
Schick F type injector/Gillette Platinum Plus (NOS)
Surrey SS (very old tallow version and quite wonderful)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Miller Harris 'feuilles de tabac' EdT

BBS results,

Martin

Prep: Cold water
Soap: Speick stick (grated)
Brush: Shavemac 177 Silvertip
Razor: Weber POL
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (2)
EdT: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

Disappointed with my shave again today. Rapira was a little tuggy and just didn't feel sharp. Won't stretch it to a third shave, that's for sure. Could have been a faulty blade, so may try another in a few days. Two sub-standard shaves in a row... doesn't happen very often :(

fancontroller said:
12th Tabactober
Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso preshave - sensitive
Soap: Tabac
Brush: MÜHLE Kosmo silvertip synthetic
Razor: Merkur 37C Slant
Blade: Gillette Super Thin (2)
After: Oldspice AS, Tabac ASB

My first really successful face lather using a soap (not a stick) today. Lather consistent throughout the 3 passes and the brush held more than enough plus touch ups. Just the right amount of skin massaging from this lovely brush.

Chill harvest still coming in, some of them are right big bodgers too. Smashing stuffed with blue cheese and toasted pine nuts and grilled.

Good weekend, gents.

SOTD20131012_zps8e15a73b.jpg
Greetings

They sound absolutely mouthwateringly wonderful!
Regards Dick.

Prep: Village Barber oil
Soap: Proraso Green
Razor: Merkur Futur
Brush: NF Tubby 1

Impressed with the razor, quite aggressive even at one but silky smooth! Pain under the nose but very good shave. Just a shame it cut open a mole, it's amazing how long they bleed for!

Bloodbath! It had to happen some time ... it did ... and tonight was the night ...

Bay of Blood, Halifax, UK ... you can see it from satellites!

It started well ...

I assembled my gear:

IMG_3241.JPG

Habitat Porcelain Bowl
Pure Badger Brush
Ingram's Shaving Cream
Gillette Sterling Razor*
Gillette Platinum (Black) Blade
Sprygg Toner - my personal Witch Hazel blend
Blue Stratos Aftershave

... and so, fired the 'puter up to play Eiffel 65 - 'Blue (Ice Pop Remix)'. Glass of Côtes du Rhones as lubricant.

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die ...

I had high hopes for this. The Gillette Sterling is a cheap razor made by the millions and no doubt sold by the millions. It has an all metal head (the reason I bought this over the Feather Popular) and a plastic handle with metal top. I bought this as a travel razor and it came with five Gillette Platinum blades - Gillette Blacks. I've heard good things about these - Indian made and seemingly very popular over there, as is the razor itself.

Earlier on, I scraped my sideburns back into shape (dry) and thought it a pretty good razor. I immediately got the angle and felt the blade to be pretty good.

Gillette Sterling Mini-Review

Prior to shaving, I removed the blade and hand stropped it. Re-assembled, I could see that the blade reveal was ever so slightly uneven each side. I took care to consider the angle of the blade upon tightening ... a mere quarter turn can press this blade into a lawnmower. Tighten up finger pinched and then go another eighth or quarter turn.

Let's take a look at it ...

IMG_3244.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

I'd be interested in comment. My other DE shaving experiences to date are with a Merkur 23C and a Merkur Progress.

This was a BHS! Bloody Horrible Shave! Emphasis on the blood ...

What an absolute bloodbath! I went once WTG and once XTG. I did not have the heart to go ATG. I was cut, nicked and bleeding ... one or two after ATG and several after XTG. Stop. Just stop ... this is clearly not working out.

What a real shame. I had high hopes for this razor. I took it really easy and really gently.

Not to be a bad carpenter and blame the tools, but something was clearly wrong here. I went gently, but that razor felt like an old rasp. Far from smooth, it was sharp ... it ripped against my stubble, loud and brash. I had to stop after the XTG. This combination really is not for me ...

It really was like an old rasp. i could feel it tearing and winced at the weeper cuts. This is all new to me - I've not shredded my face with the Merkur 23C yet. I've had nicks and one weeper. This was Medieval! It felt bad, uncomfortable and downright wrong. Stop.

I refuse to call a day on this - I'll try the blade in a more familiar razor and the razor with a more familiar blade. Something will work ...

Meanwhile, thanks to Dobbo25 and a block of alum that he sent me, all nicks, weepers and cuts were stalled bar one that needed a piece of toilet paper and a little time to stop.

Jeez! What a bloodbath ...

Afterwards, I'm still suffering. Blue Stratos was a nice aftershave, but that on top of my own witch hazel and Olbas Oil tonic was not enought; I keep returning to the tonic for relief.

I won't say "never again" because the razor might well play better with a different blade and those blades may well run finer on a different razor.

Still, the shave and the feel afterwards is nothing like the pain and misery I got off cartridge razors. If I had gone from cartridges to this, I would have seen it as an improvement.

Aside from the blue, the red wine was apt - blood!

Oof! I'll try the blade (stropped) in my 23C next shave ...

Good morning friends! :icon_lol:

PREP: Proraso Preshave Cream
BRUSH: 23 mm MÜHLE (Synthetic fibres)
SOAP/CREAM: Jabonman - Mountain
SCUTTLE/BOWL: Fitjar Lathering Up Shaving Bowl
RAZOR: 6/8" Hishakaku Folding Kamisori
STROP: Biber-Elster Feinste Spez. Juchte paddle strop
SHAVE: 2 passes, WTG/XTG
AS: L'Occitane Vetyver EDT
RESULT: Smooth shave

SOTD_JAPO_B_zps0b7fba97.jpg

Have a nice week,
Béla​

Greetings

Sunday 13th October 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Empire Model
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated Modified
Brush: Semogue 830 Boar
Soap: Wilkinson Sword Stick grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

A really nice shave

Regards
Dick.

DSC04743.JPG

Pre Confiança glycerin soap + TOBS St James cream + Vie&Long 16454 Best + Weber Bulldog ARC with Filomatic + TOBS herbal gel with TOBS St James cologne

Today, a luxurious english shave!

Cheers!

Sunday:

Afternoon, all.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle
Blade: 7 o'clock green (9)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: La Toja stick
A/S: Cien Ebony
Cologne: L'Air du Désert Marocain

Easy, very close shave.

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso preshave - sensitive
Soap: NSS Vanilla (soft)
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Brush: Semogue 830
Razor: Merkur 37C Slant
Blade: Gillette Super Thin (3)
After: 4711 AS, Zirh ASB

Back to bowl lathering with NSS soft soap as I find it takes a while to get it to "dissolve" into the lather, much like Cella, and I always find the bit of soap stuck to the ridges of the bowl when cleaning it. Effort is definitely rewarded with a lather that is a joy to use.
Blade on its last legs on its third shave but managed an easy BBS with no irritation.

Happy Sunday, folks.

SOTD20131013_zps439213c2.jpg

Yesterday

Gillette Aristocrat #16
Polsilver Stainless (2)
Semogue SOC boar
Vito's Extra Super Coconut
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
Serge Lutens Santal Majascule

Today

Gillette Aristocrat #15
Schick Ultra Platinum (1)