Closed Passaround : Muhle R41 COMPLETE

I'm glad I gave it a go too. Certainly is a great razor.

I've also just seen that connaught shaving have just got some ikon OC heads in black in stock...

Did just happen to choose the R41 today...experiencing Wolfman withdrawal so decided to go as fierce as I could (stuck a Feather blade in there). Mine happens to be a long handled one with rubber sleeving for extra grip. No arguing, it's long and it's grippy.

In all honesty I was pleased. Took the precaution of extra soaking and stuff beforehand - including, as always, Nishy's excellent concoction. Really was quite satisfied as it went well and was about as close and comfortable as I can remember getting from it in times past. (I've had one or two disasters with it).

Hope you get on well with your R41 Pass Around. I honestly don't think it's a beast or anything to be wary of. You may well think it's the dogs danglies...especially after a couple of goes with it. I still prefer the Wolfman but in it's absence you'll very likely sing it's praise.

MÜHLE R41 - Day 1 (long, summary at the end)

The R4 has been with me for a few days now, but the Wolfman wanted my attention and there were others on the waiting list for it, so I got it out of the way first.
I did try the Ikon handle on the Wolfman though and it felt better than the original, although in the end I preferred a shorter, lighter handle with the Wolfman.
Most of my razors are closed comb, probably because my first traditional razor was the Merkur 34C. I do like one open comb razor a lot though and (that's) the tiny Bigelow + Parkin.
I also have an open comb C-type Schick repeater, but that needs a little restoration first.
So, in preparation for the R41 I did a couple of shaves with my Merkur 11C, the open comb version of the 34C and I still don't like it as much as its closed comb brother. I also had the dual comb Wolfman, but the open comb on it didn't shave as well as the closed comb, so I abandoned the open comb.
On to the R41. I put a fresh Voskhod blade in it, screw on the Ikon handle and have a closer look at the fully armed head. It looks quite scary. The comb is very short and I can see a lot of blade close to edge of the razor. This will need some serious attention. A quick check on the back of my hand and I'm satisfied that the angle will be close to the normal 30 degrees.
Cella croap is the cream of choice as I know it so well and it always just works. A few swirls with the brush and it explodes into lather. Hmmmm…. marzipan...
I'm determined to do my usual four passes. All new razors get the same routine. That way it's easier to compare them. Two styptic pencils and the Proraso riparatore gel are in easy reach - just in case. So here we go. Right away I can tell that this razor is different. You can feel the blade. It shaves with purpose and is much more direct than the razors I'm used to. I'm a bit concerned about my jawline. On the first pass I usually shave downwards across the jawline while constantly adjusting the angle of the handle. That normally works well for me. And it does this time. Saved by muscle memory. The first pass is finished without drawing blood and I'm pleased with myself.
My second and third passes are across the grain in opposite directions. Apart from one tiny weeper they go without incident. This is going well. Too well actually.
The fourth ATG pass bites me. One nick on the chin and one at edge of the mouth. The styptic brigade takes care of them, but not immediately. Under the nose going across the grain is a bit scary. I'm very careful, but nick myself again. The Proraso gel eventually stops this as well. This razor means business.
A quick rinse later the alum block tells me its opinion: Ouch! Too close! Another rinse and I fancy a bit of Yardley Citrus & Wood, which I normally apply as an aftershave, although it is an EdT. Wisely, I decide to use the almost scentless Tüff Sensitiv ASL instead and then spray on the Yardley for scent. The Tüff is very sensitive and doesn't burn too much, but more than it usually does.
So how was the shave? Close. Very close. Up there with the best. This razor knows how to remove stubble. But at a price. It's been a good few months since SWMBO commented on my shave, saying that I've cut up my face quite badly. I think back then I was using a straight in a careless way. See is exaggerating, but the nicks are visible.
Where do I go from here? Do I give up? No. I'll give my face a day's rest, then I might try a lighter, shorter handle. The Ikon handle feels a bit heavy in combination with the R41. Maybe a different blade. Not sure which one though - certainly not a Feather. Maybe four passes are a bit much with this razor. I'll see.

tl;dr

Thorough and bitey.

I think it doesn't take long to realise as you've said, it means business and will shave effortlessly if used gently. I only do a modified 2 passes as that suits me but I always get the odd cut or weeper if I push it.

I probably could shave every day with the 2 passes but is a razor for serious stubble and loves the thick stuff making it more of an occasional weekend warrior.

MÜHLE R41 - Shave 2

The first shave was a bit rough and my face needed a day off. Even now I'm not sure if it is ready for another go with the R41. But I'm stubbly and I don't like it. In the worst case I'll open the old wounds and get a few more.
So what was wrong with the last shave? I felt the handle was too heavy. I want a much lighter touch and choose the handle that originally came with a Phoenix DOC . Another razor I'll have to try one day. The handle weighs 35.6 grams (that's) only half the weight of the Ikon handle.
Maybe the Voskhod blade was not the right choice for the R41. Today I choose a PolSilver. They are my favourite blades.
Maybe I didn't do enough prep? So today I have a shower, then do a hot towel on the face, then apply some Geo F. Trumper Coral skinfood as a pre shave. The smell of roses reminds me that I have a tub of Wickham Super Smooth English Rose shaving soap I haven't used yet. So (that's) the choice I make. It lathers well, but the scent of roses is a bit too subtle for my nose. Their Club Cola shaving soap really smells of Cola. I think (that's) the only shaving soap with a sense of humour. I sometimes follow that with breakfast consisting of a bowl of porridge flavoured with a few drops of this Cola Essence. Frivolous. I know.
Back to the R41.
Maybe 4 passes where a bit much. So I think I'll stop after one WTG and 2 XTG passes.
Immediately I like the feel of the smaller handle a lot better. I'm shaving with a much lighter touch. The R41 still means business, but I feel more comfortable with it.
The three passes are all quite easy. That Wickham soap is good, by the way! Three passes with the R41 and not the tiniest weeper in sight. A good shave, but not quite BBS yet.
What the heck! I'll do a fourth ATG pass as well. Except for under the nose where I opt to go XTG again.
This would make a good cliff hanger now...
But I'll continue to report that against all expectations the fourth pass went without incident as well. There. Four pass shave with the R41. Not even the tiniest bit of blood drawn. Full on BBS. The alum block says he has seen worse, two days ago actually. Just a mild sting. Two days ago I didn't dare put Yardley Citrus Wood straight on my face as an aftershave, but today I give it a go. No problem whatsoever.
So what was it? The smaller handle? The blade? The soap? I guess it was the handle. It made a huge difference for me.
I now officially like this razor.

For fifteen quid (head only) you might as well get one, Andreas. I suspect you might just have a handle to stick it on and then you can give it an outing as you fancy. For such an iconic (is that the right word?) item I can't see why you wouldn't have one at that price.

Back
Top Bottom