Closed Passaround : Muhle R41 COMPLETE

MÜHLE R41 - Shave 3

The last shave was so good that I believe my face doesn't need a day's rest before I can have another go. I keep the R41 head and the Phoenix handle, but change the rest. I believe the handle was the secret, but maybe it was the blade. I park yesterday's PolSilver in my Digress, because there is still life in that blade and put a Gillette 7 O'clock SharpEdge blade in the R41. No idea why, as I haven't used the brand before and have no idea what to expect. I shouldn't change too many variables here, but I feel adventurous today.
I went on a walk along the Thames this morning and stumbled on a local pottery that was open for once and had a sale. I didn't buy anything there, but I was reminded of my scuttle. I haven't used it for half a year or so during the warmer time of the year. I'll use that then. Once the scuttle is nice and warm, I lather up some Castle Forbes Lavender cream in it. For good measure I use Somersets shaving oil as a pre-shave and off I go.
The R41 with the lighter, smaller handle definitely works for me. Nothing against the Ikon handle. It is nice and beautiful and feels good, but I personally don't think putting an R41 head on a handle that heavy results in a happy marriage.
Using a scuttle to keep the lather warm is very nice at this time of the year though. The lather also has a stronger scent when it is warm, but maybe I'm imagining that.
Nothing else to report about the shave. My usual four pass routine. Easy shave. Good blade. Completely bloodless. As close as it gets. BBS. Smooth. Smooth. Smooth.
After a cold rinse the alum block gives medium feedback. That's alright for a very close shave. I rinse the alum off and apply Old Spice Fresh Lime ASL from India. Even that doesn't sting too much today.
I still think the handle is the secret to success, but to make sure it's not the blade, I'll try a Voskhod blade with the short Phoenix handle tomorrow.
15 quid delivered for the R41 head? Bargain, I'd say.

MÜHLE R41 - Shave 4 - Weight loss

The last two shaves got me thinking. I believe a lighter handle than the Ikon makes the R41 less dangerous. I just use it with a lighter touch. So what if I reduce the weight even further. What is the lightest DE handle I own? I know the answer, but because I'm bored this Sunday morning, I get my digital scales and callipers out and weigh and measure all my handles. I knew the answer, but now it's official: The lightest handle I own is from a 1972 aluminium Tech weighing a ridiculous 11.7 grams.
That gives the following total weights for the R41 with different handles:
R41 + Ikon Bamboo 103 grams
R41 + Phoenix handle 65 grams
R41 + Tech handle 41 grams
That's a weight loss of about 60%. The R41 now feels quite light. I check my records and there are only two DE razors I own that weigh less: The 1972 Tech of course and the Bigelow-Parkin. Having no handle does save some weight
End of preamble. (or is that pre-ramble ?)

When I went to bed last night I wasn't sure if there would anything to shave today. The shave was that good. I could definitely get away with not shaving today, but I'm curious and the Hone Type 15 is on its way. I liked yesterday's 7 O'clock SharpEdge blade and I will use it again , but today I'm going back to a fresh Voskhod. (Note to self: the SharpEdge blade is now parked inside the Tech head, which in on the Phoenix handle).
The combination of Somersets shaving oil as a pre shave and Castle Forbes Lavender shaving cream was a good one yesterday. I'll use the same again and the scuttle will be used again as well.
The R41 is a completely different razor with this handle. Nimble and light it encourages you to use the gentlest of touches. And (that's) what this razor needs. The blade seems to make a difference as well. The Voskhod is a fairly sharp blade. It doesn't feel as dangerous as the one used with the Ikon handle, yet it does nick me once. I think (that's) my fault. With a razor that light you can forget that it is a special beast. Yesterday's SharpEdge felt a tad milder. Maybe, if the Hone Type 15 doesn't arrive tomorrow (which it won't - it's being delivered by Yodel), I'll give the SharpEdge another go with the Tech handle.
After my usual four passes I can feel that this will be another excellent shave. The alum block thinks the damage is reasonable. As it is Sunday I'll use L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme ASL and ASB. The ASL is a bit stingy, but it normally is. I actually like that.
And done. Another fantastic shave with this razor. My face feels great. Yes, it can bite, especially when used with a sledge hammer handle. Even with a lighter handle it demands attention and a very gentle touch or it will punish you. The perfect razor for a beginner - you will learn fast. So maybe not for a beginner and possibly not as a sole daily razor. But for £15 delivered for the head, this is an incredible deal. One day I'll own one. The Wolfman himself didn't deliver a closer shave than the R41. Honestly. I was more relaxed with the Wolfman though.
One more shave and I'll be done.

Anyone else interested? Great experience! The MÜHLE R41 will go back home otherwise...

Hadn't crossed my mind to stick a lightweight handle on it, probably due to the fact that I don't have anything especially light other, perhaps, than the "Standard Razor handle"? I'll try that later this evening (assuming it is actually lighter than the rest).

OK, what blade shall I use? Suggestions please. Provided that (a) I get a suggestion or two....and (b) I have that blade in stock, I shall report back in due course.

Hadn't crossed my mind to stick a lightweight handle on it, probably due to the fact that I don't have anything especially light other, perhaps, than the "Standard Razor handle"? I'll try that later this evening (assuming it is actually lighter than the rest).

OK, what blade shall I use? Suggestions please. Provided that (a) I get a suggestion or two....and (b) I have that blade in stock, I shall report back in due course.
The Standard handle was the only one I didn't weigh, as it has gone traveling. The entire Standard razor weighs about 48 grams, so I'd expect the handle to reasonably light weight, on par with the Phoenix.
I've only tried three blades in R41 and PolSilver and Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge worked a treat, the Voskhod was a bit aggressive, so I wouldn't go for a Feather. Gillette Silver Blue maybe? Some people say Derby - I wouldn't.

I'll try an SB in conjunction with the Standard Razor handle. I have some Derbys too...will try that thereafter.

My scales agree with yours, Andreas, re the weight of the complete Standard ....47.51g to be precise. Handle on it's own - 31.24g.

In the past I think I've avoided new Feathers in the R41 but have taken to using various new blades in various other razors and then putting the used blades in the R41 thinking that the sharpness will have eased off a bit thus "taming" the R41 a bit. Can't recall ever using a new Feather in it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Very enjoyable shave with the R41 and a Derby. Wouldn't have thought of the combination so ta for the thoughts there. It tamed it somewhat. Very enjoyable in fact.

I was going to use the Standard razor handle BUT they wouldn't work together. The blade rattled in the head. There's too much thread poking out of the R41 head. Or to put it another way, the drilling in the Standard razor head isn't deep enough to accommodate the length of the R41 and you can't tighten the base and the cap.

I'll try an SB in conjunction with the Standard Razor handle. I have some Derbys too...will try that thereafter.

My scales agree with yours, Andreas, re the weight of the complete Standard ....47.51g to be precise. Handle on it's own - 31.24g.

In the past I think I've avoided new Feathers in the R41 but have taken to using various new blades in various other razors and then putting the used blades in the R41 thinking that the sharpness will have eased off a bit thus "taming" the R41 a bit. Can't recall ever using a new Feather in it.

Thanks.

I wouldn't put a feather in a R41, horrible blades in my eyes and cut you as quick as look at you.

I wouldn't put a feather in a R41, horrible blades in my eyes and cut you as quick as look at you.

I wouldn't have gone quite as far as that, WTD...I seem to have had some nice shaves with them - but in milder razors. The Feather Razor and Feather blade do go OK with each other. I won't buy any more given that others are pretty much just as good and easier to get on with.

I think that's it. It's got a rep of being the best of the best when in fact there are plenty out there that are as sharp and smoother for longer.

I also agree that it suits some razors and not others.

With the Hone Type 15 razor out of the door, I'll go back to the R41 in two days time with a bit of stubble.
Tech handle and Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge methinks...
Then I'm done and if there are no new takers I'll send it back home to Whosthedaddy

MÜHLE R41 - Shave 5

The story so far:
The R41 head with the iKon handle (103g total) and a Voskhod blade I found too brutal
The R41 head with a Phoenix handle (65g total) and a PolSilver blade was much better
The R41 head with a Phoenix handle (65g) and a SharpEdge blade was even better
The R41 head with a Tech handle (41g total) and a Voskhod blade was a revelation.
How can I go one better? Tech handle and Gillette 7o'clock SuperEdge blade maybe?
Well (that's) my combination today and the last one I'm going to try. Prep is shower, hot towel and Somersets shaving oil. De Vergulde Hand is shaving soap of choice.
The tiny handle makes the R41 manageable for me. The iKon handle is beautiful and looks much better with the R41 head than the short skinny Tech handle. It probably works great with some heads, but in my opinion it is too heavy for the R41 head.
Four passes etc… No blood… Full on BBS I know will last for hours to come. Medium alum burn, medium alcohol sensation. Done.
What a shave! I like this head now. I dig it - and it doesn't dig my skin anymore. It needs the lightest of touches and the aluminium Gillette Tech handle gives you just that.
The Gillette 7o'clock SharpEdge is a very nice blade. Recommended.
I have had shaves just as good, but not from a razor that cheap. Nice one, MÜHLE.
It's on my wish list for when I start spending on shaving products again. Maybe Santa can be persuaded…

Nobody else is left on the list, so I guess the R41 will go back home. It's all cleaned up, shave ready and packaged, waiting for an address label. Thanks @Whosthedaddy for another great pass around. I didn't expect a razor with the R41's reputation to be so enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom