I’ll try and stop going MAD

A recent thread about what would happen in an apocalyptic event made me realise that I have gone MAD (multiple acquisition disorder). The stuff I have accumulated in little more than a year and a half should last me a long time and if I keep adding stuff, it will all rot in a drawer and nothing will get used.

Let it be known that:

I have therefore decided to stop buying anything shaving related until I run out of either

a) all my blades
b) all my soaps and cremes
c) all my aftershaves
d) all my alum blocks/styptics
e) hot water
f) razors
g) self control
I have a feeling c) d) and g) are the items I'm most likely to run out of.
I might sell a couple of things (mainly soaps I don't get along with and razors I don't use) to make them run out quicker ;)
I have one thing going for me though: I can be very stubborn. I have already cancelled all my ebay searches and watched items.

Wish me luck

Andreas

Good luck to you, you'll need it. I've kind of settled for a one out, one in policy on soaps and creams just to try and keep it on the right side of sensible. I haven't got many at all compared to some of the more avid collectors but it's still enough to last several years. It can easily get out of hand [emoji16]

What you need to do is ...
  • Establish a collection. Collections are distinct from shaving equipment and so you are permitted to buy as many razors, brushes, whatever you like to add to your collection.
  • Discard all the blades, soaps, aftershaves, razors and so on that you do not like.
  • Move on all the blades, soaps, aftershaves, razors and so on that you are unlikely to use in the foreseeable future.
  • Assemble a core set of favourites of a viable size, viable in that you will use them all in some form of rotation. Size can be as large or small as you like, for instance I have over 40 soaps after a purge, some 25 brushes, again, after a purge.
  • From that point on ... it's one in, one out of your core favourites. Over time, as you use up, you get a better feel for your real favourites, as you either will or won't replace it.
  • Whittle down, as appropriate.
Or, sod it! It's only money, it gives you a lot of fun and doesn't take up too much space (right, Carl?). Go mad! Go MAD!

• Establish a collection. Collections are distinct from shaving equipment and so you are permitted to buy as many razors, brushes, whatever you like to add to your collection...
Nice thing about shaving equipment collections. You can use them for shaving too. :D

I'm almost out of my signature aftershave Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. The day I decide to stop buying anything, Amazon decides to sell 100ml for £15 - half price. Go figure. Not buying though - I still have a bottle of EdT :D. I'll remove all shaving related camelcamelcamel.com price alerts now...

I'm almost out of my signature aftershave Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. The day I decide to stop buying anything, Amazon decides to sell 100ml for £15 - half price. Go figure. Not buying though - I still have a bottle of EdT :D. I'll remove all shaving related camelcamelcamel.com price alerts now...

Right you are...you'll not want to know that allbeauty have an extra 10% off PR items at the moment then..... Around £23 for the EDT.

Having said that it's under £20 delivered at Perfume Stop.

Last edited:
If he keeps logging into TSR, nowhere near that long!

I could join you with these damned injectors! Bought one for practice till my Kickstarter jobie arrives - the one Billy so disapproves - but just bought my sixth - fifth or sixth. These shaving rabbit holes are innumerable - and deep!

If he keeps logging into TSR, nowhere near that long!

I could join you with these damned injectors! Bought one for practice till my Kickstarter jobie arrives - the one Billy so disapproves - but just bought my sixth - fifth or sixth. These shaving rabbit holes are innumerable - and deep!
I plan to keep logging on to see all of you suffer from various compulsive disorders :)
I reckon I have a dozen injectors. Some of them (B and C types) await being restored - that should take my mind of purchases.
There is only one injector I really, really want and I let it pass on ebay today for a good price. Proud. :cool:
Btw, Carl: I'm still in for the twin blades. That commitment was made before my decision and should give me enough injector blades for a few years. The Personna 74 blades especially seem to last forever. I think I'm on shave 15+ with one of them in one of my injectors. (Please don't point out a reasonably priced source of them)
Don't get me started on all my DE razors and blades. And the other SE razors....

It's been a month now since I decided that I'd stop buying shaving related stuff. This is my progress report so far: piece of cake!
I thought I'd be stubborn enough to pull this off, but there was no need to resort to my stubbornness. I just had to refocus on what I already have. And that's a lot. I rediscovered my SE razors and after all the practice I've had now they are fab. I'm getting better at lathering hard soaps with London water. I'm getting slightly more confident with my straight razors, now that I'm not distracted by constant new arrivals of other stuff. I'm sure I'll revisit my slant razor that didn't do it for me when I bought it. I've got an allegedly shave ready Rolls razor I bought months ago and was too frightened to use. I now take more time to play with what I have, rather than being distracted by every new toy I get and throwing the last toy into some drawer.
Now for the difficult bits:
I only have 15 PolSilver blade left!!! Solution: I'll swap my 150 Feather blades for 50 PolSilver when I run out.
I'm almost out of Paco Rabanne Pour Homme AS. Solution: Christmas, or use the EdT instead.
@pjgh might put his Gem Bar Junior on BST for a tenner. I find a gold toggle at a car boot sale for a tenner. There is a group buy for a traffic light, TSR 2016 marked Digress for a tenner. Solution: I surrender.
Other than that: I'm sticking with my experiment. I'm (against all odds) enjoying the experience.

Andreas

• Establish a collection. Collections are distinct from shaving equipment and so you are permitted to buy as many razors, brushes, whatever you like to add to your collection.
  • Discard all the blades, soaps, aftershaves, razors and so on that you do not like.
  • Move on all the blades, soaps, aftershaves, razors and so on that you are unlikely to use in the foreseeable future.
  • Assemble a core set of favourites of a viable size, viable in that you will use them all in some form of rotation. Size can be as large or small as you like, for instance I have over 40 soaps after a purge, some 25 brushes, again, after a purge.
  • From that point on ... it's one in, one out of your core favourites. Over time, as you use up, you get a better feel for your real favourites, as you either will or won't replace it.
  • Whittle down, as appropriate.
Or, sod it! It's only money, it gives you a lot of fun and doesn't take up too much space (right, Carl?). Go mad! Go MAD!

All right, this literally made me LOL. I was reading this post thinking, "Yeah, this is a good way to do it," and then your last line... :D

Back
Top Bottom