Closed Passaround : Muhle R41 COMPLETE

@Whosthedaddy, it did get better :) Not being able to escape the office to get to the post office (being posted today to @flobberdob , annual leave whoop whoop!) meant I got a few extra shaves out of it. The razor DEFINITELY requires a little more attention to angles, but when you get it right, offers a much closer shave with less effort than my 39C (with only below the jaw near the chin feeling a bit uncomfortable if you get the angles wrong). So much so that I am ordering one so that I can continue experimenting with it and blade combinations. The Ikon handle is a delight, huge thanks for letting me try it out :)

No worries.

My first use with the R41 was with a Derby blade but from initial stroke I could tell just how good it is despite a dodgy blade. Wouldn't use a Feather blade mind but still say best DE shaver for effortless results

Thank you @nick_s I have received the R41 safe and sound.

My my, the handle is hefty, really looking forward to shaving with this later.

Many thanks @Whosthedaddy
It is a beast isn't it? The handle weight was what I first noticed about the whole package, very substantial, and the grip is amazing. It's a shame my 39C is a two piece, I'd have one of those Ikon handles for it in a heartbeat.

It is a beast isn't it?

The head reminded me of when that James Bond baddie Jaws smiled!

To the shave, wow. Used my go to blade - a new personna platinum chrome and the razor mowed down three days worth of facial growth. Virtually BBS after 2 passes. Couldn't resist a final touch up pass to get it there.

I really took my time due to the aggressive reputation of the razor and though you can tell it has a bit of bite to it, it is a very efficient and smooth razor if you have a solid technique.

I really need to revisit my opinion that aggressive open combs and heavy stainless steel handles are not for me!

My face feels that smooth I'm not sure I'm gonna need to shave at all tomorrow.

The head reminded me of when that James Bond baddie Jaws smiled!

To the shave, wow. Used my go to blade - a new personna platinum chrome and the razor mowed down three days worth of facial growth. Virtually BBS after 2 passes. Couldn't resist a final touch up pass to get it there.

I really took my time due to the aggressive reputation of the razor and though you can tell it has a bit of bite to it, it is a very efficient and smooth razor if you have a solid technique.

I really need to revisit my opinion that aggressive open combs and heavy stainless steel handles are not for me!

My face feels that smooth I'm not sure I'm gonna need to shave at all tomorrow.

I had the same option after my first shaves, almost eliminated the need to shave the next day.

It is a very efficient DE.

I never noticed the weight I suppose but the grip of the handle is pretty good in my mind.

I never noticed the weight I suppose but the grip of the handle is pretty good in my mind.

When I first started to use DE razors I found it very difficult to get out of the habit of pressing down with the razor, one of the ways of solving this I found, was to use a lighter razor like my beloved tech. So for me this was a very heavy handle compared with what I'm used to. I feel like I'm having my head turned.

I did mean to weigh the razor and compare it to my 39C, but totally forgot to. The weight of the handle is very noticeable, and the grip is outstanding to the point it makes my 39C (barberpole type handle) seem slippery.

Efficient is one way to describe the R41 :D Teutonic efficient, but in a different way to my Merkur. Either way, I foresee an order for the R41 and an Ikon handle in the not too distant future.

Alright then. Could I please be included in this pass around as well, please?
My experience with open combs is limited. I have a Merkur 11C, which I'm struggling with (can't get a close enough shave under the chin, whatever I try) and a Bigelow & Parkin which is marvellous little thing, but has other challenges than being open comb o_O. I'll hopefully have a Wolfman WR1-DC dual comb razor from another pass around soon, so my interest in open combs has been rekindled. I'd love to be able to compare the Wolfman's open comb with this legend.

Back
Top Bottom