Closed Pass Around - Wolfman WR1-DC DE Razor - COMPLETE

Don't you guys just push the blade down against the plate which has the tabs? Seems to secure the blade perfectly for me.
I had my little accident when taking the blade out. It slipped off the tabs and started to rotate.into my finger. Maybe I was a bit careless as well. Or I didn't have enough coffees. So who makes a stainless steel TTO for us clumsy shavers? :rolleyes:
Or better even - a stainless steel injector .... :cool:

I had my little accident when taking the blade out. It slipped off the tabs and started to rotate.into my finger. Maybe I was a bit careless as well. Or I didn't have enough coffees. So who makes a stainless steel TTO for us clumsy shavers? :rolleyes:
Or better even - a stainless steel injector .... :cool:
I try to use my thumb nail, avoiding the inevitable, blade has spun around on other razors too (not often), so definitely understand where your coming from.

Martin, thank you so much for your generosity in offering me a place to try to 0.74 Wolfman DE.

I wanted to try it because I was genuinely considering buying a modified Wolfman when James opens his order book again. I've made some significant progress with my shaving, including a bit of a milestone a week or so ago, and am now consistently achieving world-class shaves with equipment I already own. For that reason, I'm no longer considering buying another Wolfman, and I don't think I should take a place on the list.

With much gratitude,

Simon

No problem at all Simon. Thanks for letting me know...

... which means that another spot has opened up, so if you are interested in trying the Wolfman - please read / digest post #1 - pop your name down for position #9.

1. @Nishy - complete
2. @DevonStan - complete
3. @riverrun*
4. @mattyb240
5. @The Geordie Shaver
6. @p.b
7. @Mr_Smartepants
8. @Whosthedaddy
9. ?

*Currently with

LIST CLOSED

Wolfman - Day 5 - Shave 4

Today is the day for the big shave off: Wolfman WR1-DC vs Schick N3 injector.
I'll give the Wolfman a head start by using the original Wolfman handle again and a fresh Voskhod blade. That combination gave me a most excellent shave. I'll stick with the closed comb side only for added benefit.
I'll give the Schick N3 a head start as it already has a Personna 74 blade in it, that has only been used once before. I can't think of a finer combination.
Castle Forbes Lime is one of my favourite shaving creams as it always performs extremely well and smells divine, so it's today's choice. I'll start with citrus and finish with Speick.
The two razors couldn't be more different. The all stainless steel Wolfman weighs in at 100.7 grams, whereas the Schick with its rubbery handle is a lightweight at a mere 44.1 grams (with blade). It's one of the heavier Schicks, if you ignore the early full metal repeater models.
It's a cold and miserable day out there, so for the first time since last winter I'll do a hot towel again. After a shower and an application of Lucky Tiger Lemon Cream facial cleanser, I pop a wet face towel into the popty ping and a minute or two later I'm shave ready.
Both razors have been in very hot water for a while and the Wolfman immediately scores by being nice and hot. The rubbery Schick handle doesn't conduct heat was well.
The first pass goes without incidents and giving the face a rinse I can't feel a difference in the amount of stubble left.
The second pass goes without incidents and giving the face a rinse I can't feel a difference in the amount of stubble left.
The third pass goes without incidents and giving the face a rinse I can't feel a difference in the amount of stubble left.
The fourth and last pass goes without incidents and giving the face a rinse I can't feel a difference in the amount of stubble left. Seems like both razors have scored a BBS here.
I'll ask a neutral observer (Mr Alum Block) for his opinion and no difference can be detected. Both razors score a ‘medium burn'. That's alright for a very close shave.
I finish with Speick after shave lotion and Speick Intensiv Creme. To speick things up a bit, I also use Speick deodorant spray and Speick EdT today. I love a bit of Speick.
So, who has won? I don't know yet. My face is incredibly, incredibly smooth on both sides with no irritation anywhere. It's too close to call yet and I'll have to make a decision later today when I know which shave lasted longer. Or I might call it a draw. We'll see.
What I can say now, is that the Wolfman is an incredible razor. At least the closed comb side is. As much as I loved the Feather AS-D2, it didn't even make it to the shave off stage with a Schick. Well done, Wolfman.
It would be a real shame to waste the unused edge of the Voskhod blade, so I'll turn it around (very carefully) and have another shave with the Wolfman tomorrow and then I'm done. Maybe I'll try a different handle again.
Final verdict on today's shave later today. Final thoughts on the Wolfman tomorrow.

Wolfman Day 5 - Shave 4 - Update and result.

After almost 12 hours the result is finally in.
If I'd be totally honest the Schick N3 wins by a very very small margin.
But the way the Wolfman looks, feels and handles and the tiny, tiny difference in regrowth makes it....

A DRAW.

More tomorrow.

Wolfman - Day 5 - Shave 4

Today is the day for the big shave off: Wolfman WR1-DC vs Schick N3 injector.
I'll give the Wolfman a head start by using the original Wolfman handle again and a fresh Voskhod blade. That combination gave me a most excellent shave. I'll stick with the closed comb side only for added benefit.
I'll give the Schick N3 a head start as it already has a Personna 74 blade in it, that has only been used once before. I can't think of a finer combination.
Castle Forbes Lime is one of my favourite shaving creams as it always performs extremely well and smells divine, so it's today's choice. I'll start with citrus and finish with Speick.
The two razors couldn't be more different. The all stainless steel Wolfman weighs in at 100.7 grams, whereas the Schick with its rubbery handle is a lightweight at a mere 44.1 grams (with blade). It's one of the heavier Schicks, if you ignore the early full metal repeater models.
It's a cold and miserable day out there, so for the first time since last winter I'll do a hot towel again. After a shower and an application of Lucky Tiger Lemon Cream facial cleanser, I pop a wet face towel into the popty ping and a minute or two later I'm shave ready.
Both razors have been in very hot water for a while and the Wolfman immediately scores by being nice and hot. The rubbery Schick handle doesn't conduct heat was well.
The first pass goes without incidents and giving the face a rinse I can't feel a difference in the amount of stubble left.
The second pass goes without incidents and giving the face a rinse I can't feel a difference in the amount of stubble left.
The third pass goes without incidents and giving the face a rinse I can't feel a difference in the amount of stubble left.
The fourth and last pass goes without incidents and giving the face a rinse I can't feel a difference in the amount of stubble left. Seems like both razors have scored a BBS here.
I'll ask a neutral observer (Mr Alum Block) for his opinion and no difference can be detected. Both razors score a ‘medium burn'. That's alright for a very close shave.
I finish with Speick after shave lotion and Speick Intensiv Creme. To speick things up a bit, I also use Speick deodorant spray and Speick EdT today. I love a bit of Speick.
So, who has won? I don't know yet. My face is incredibly, incredibly smooth on both sides with no irritation anywhere. It's too close to call yet and I'll have to make a decision later today when I know which shave lasted longer. Or I might call it a draw. We'll see.
What I can say now, is that the Wolfman is an incredible razor. At least the closed comb side is. As much as I loved the Feather AS-D2, it didn't even make it to the shave off stage with a Schick. Well done, Wolfman.
It would be a real shame to waste the unused edge of the Voskhod blade, so I'll turn it around (very carefully) and have another shave with the Wolfman tomorrow and then I'm done. Maybe I'll try a different handle again.
Final verdict on today's shave later today. Final thoughts on the Wolfman tomorrow.
Speick is so under-rated, the active ingredient/herb, Speick is incredibly nourishing and soothing. Never tried the deodorant, will have to give it a go.

Speick is so under-rated, the active ingredient/herb, Speick is incredibly nourishing and soothing. Never tried the deodorant, will have to give it a go.
I have the full range from shower gel and hand soap to cologne and EdT via lots of other stuff... I was able to pick them up rather cheaply when I went to Germany last year. They were on offer in some drugstore chain over there and I did a well planned 'click and collect' ;)
Not only is Speick soothing and nourishing... I also happen to like the scent... and the shaving cream performs really well... What's not to like?
I finished my bottle of Speick ASL with yesterday's shave, but I've got three more in the cupboard...

Wolfman Shave 5

My last day with the Wolfman and I decide to try a different handle again. I don't have many handles and they are similar in weight to the Wolfman WRH7 handle, except for one handle that originally came from a Phoenix DOC. It's quite short at 73mm and at 35.6g it has half the weight of the Wolfman handle. Mind you, I also have the massive wind-up vibrating handle from my Stahl razor that weighs a whopping 146.6 grams, but I dismiss the idea. Maybe I keep that for the R41 with a Feather blade..;)
I manage to rotate yesterday's Voskhod blade by 180 degrees without incident. I'll use Truefitt & Hill Authentic No 10 shaving cream for no particular reason. It was in easy reach.
Again, I decide against using the open comb of the Wolfman. I like the Wolfman head on the Phoenix handle. The razor is much lighter and more nimble. Four passes without any events to write home about and I get the BBS result I was expecting. The alum block is happy. I apply L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme ASL without much stinging, then I spot the L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme after shave balm next to it and slap that on for good measure, although I don't feel I need it. SWMBO loves the scent on me, so I can't overdo it.
That's it. I'm done with the Wolfman. So what do I think about it?
It is a great razor, beautifully engineered and finished. After yesterday's shave off I can say that I don't know any razor DE that gives a closer shave. Very impressive. Is it my favourite razor now? No. I don't care much about the WRH7 handle to start with. . After today's shave I would probably pick the short version of the WRH2. Next, I don't like the way the blade sits in it. It's not a big issue, but it is awkward. Lastly, I wouldn't pick the DC version of the razor. The open comb side of the razor didn't give me a close enough shave. It was alright, but it was outclassed by the closed comb. I also found it awkward to distinguish between the two sides of the head without glasses. With a different handle and the WR1-SB head this could easily be one of the best razors ever. I get the hype. It is a fantastic razor.
I had more fun with the Feather AS-D2 though. Although it doesn't give long lasting shaves like those from a Wolfman, it was just so pleasing to hold and use. What is it with the Japanese and metal objects? The Feather, my Peacock hand warmers, my Porlex mini coffee grinder. All beautiful metal gadgets from Japan that also do a fantastic job.

Next is @mattyb240 . PM sent and replied to. I'll post it tomorrow.
Thank you very much, Martin. Your pass arounds are always a delight.

Andreas

Wolfman Shave 5

My last day with the Wolfman and I decide to try a different handle again. I don't have many handles and they are similar in weight to the Wolfman WRH7 handle, except for one handle that originally came from a Phoenix DOC. It's quite short at 73mm and at 35.6g it has half the weight of the Wolfman handle. Mind you, I also have the massive wind-up vibrating handle from my Stahl razor that weighs a whopping 146.6 grams, but I dismiss the idea. Maybe I keep that for the R41 with a Feather blade..;)
I manage to rotate yesterday's Voskhod blade by 180 degrees without incident. I'll use Truefitt & Hill Authentic No 10 shaving cream for no particular reason. It was in easy reach.
Again, I decide against using the open comb of the Wolfman. I like the Wolfman head on the Phoenix handle. The razor is much lighter and more nimble. Four passes without any events to write home about and I get the BBS result I was expecting. The alum block is happy. I apply L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme ASL without much stinging, then I spot the L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme after shave balm next to it and slap that on for good measure, although I don't feel I need it. SWMBO loves the scent on me, so I can't overdo it.
That's it. I'm done with the Wolfman. So what do I think about it?
It is a great razor, beautifully engineered and finished. After yesterday's shave off I can say that I don't know any razor DE that gives a closer shave. Very impressive. Is it my favourite razor now? No. I don't care much about the WRH7 handle to start with. . After today's shave I would probably pick the short version of the WRH2. Next, I don't like the way the blade sits in it. It's not a big issue, but it is awkward. Lastly, I wouldn't pick the DC version of the razor. The open comb side of the razor didn't give me a close enough shave. It was alright, but it was outclassed by the closed comb. I also found it awkward to distinguish between the two sides of the head without glasses. With a different handle and the WR1-SB head this could easily be one of the best razors ever. I get the hype. It is a fantastic razor.
I had more fun with the Feather AS-D2 though. Although it doesn't give long lasting shaves like those from a Wolfman, it was just so pleasing to hold and use. What is it with the Japanese and metal objects? The Feather, my Peacock hand warmers, my Porlex mini coffee grinder. All beautiful metal gadgets from Japan that also do a fantastic job.

Next is @mattyb240 . PM sent and replied to. I'll post it tomorrow.
Thank you very much, Martin. Your pass arounds are always a delight.

Andreas
Andreas you should try Japanese vintage straights, incredibly smooth and beautifully designed.

Back
Top Bottom