Closed Pass Around - Wolfman WR1-DC DE Razor - COMPLETE

When trying new products my litmus test is how much I miss it once it's gone. That has served me well when upgrading hi-fi and stops me being wowed by first impressions, which is why I don't usually post my day to day findings on these pass-arounds. I like to reserve my judgement.

If the feather is the Lexus of the razor world (flawless finish and shut-lines if slightly sterile materials) then the Wolfman is the Audi: crisp lines, beautifully executed with a flawless finish. I really could not fault the razor's machining or finishing. Another facet of the design I really liked was the very low-profile head, notably slimmer than my Weber and in a different league to my Progress.

Shaves one and two were very disappointing. I understand that this razor is one with a 0.74mm blade gap which is more than standard. As such I'd expected a fairly aggressive razor. I'd started with a Rapira Swedish and then a Permasharp as I find both of these more forgiving than most of the other blades I use. I also used the Wolfman handle. At this point I decided I hated the handle: too long, knurling in the wrong place, odd profile and the balance makes it too tail-heavy for me. All subsequent shaves were with a 80mm BullDog handle and much better for it! I found that the OC and SB sides gave the same result but I found the SB a little more comfortable.

This is probably the quietest DE razor I've used (and I prefer it that way) the blade does appear to be very well clamped and therefore vibrations are kept to a minimum. Once I'd worked out that this is not an aggressive razor and that it won't cut at any angle I achieved some outstanding shaves. What I like about this razor is the evenness of the finish it gives. All hairs feel as though they are cut to precisely the same length – it's a similar feeling I get with my Mongoose or Cobra and one that will probably be familiar to other SE users. My shave yesterday proves that my Weber doesn't give this result. This is the only DE I've used that can do this.

Would I buy one? No, to get a close shave I need three passes and some more touching up. My Mongoose does it better (even if I find it a little boring to use.) Plus there's no way of buying one – so it a bit of a relief to find I don't want one, even though its the best made DE razor I've seen.

Thanks Martin for this outstandingly generous pass-around. Cheers, Paul

I totally agree Paul. I was also expecting an ATT-H1-aggressive shave but was blown away by how smooth and efficient it was. I also used a Rapira SS blade and enjoyed a very comfortable shave.
Fit & finish are exemplary, the head threads onto the handle extremely smoothly, far smoother than any of my other handles. The machining tolerances are soooo close, hundredths of a mm.
I don't agree about the handle though, I really enjoyed using it. Nice balance and fit my hand well.
It'll take some more uses before I can determine if I like the OC better than the SB side.

SOTD - Thurs, New Years Eve
Soap: OSP "Bay Rum"
Brush: Brad Sears custom mesquite 26/50mm 3-band Manchurian bulb
Razor: Wolfman WR1-DC w/WRH7 handle
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (1)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel followed by OSP "Bay Rum" sample ASL
Wow, what a shave! First time with this loaner Wolfman razor and it's fantastic. OC/SB sides have the same level of aggressiveness, similar to my Weber. Very efficient in whisker-whacking. Easy 2.5-pass BBS, no weepers.
fQrnRw0.jpg

I don't agree about the handle though, I really enjoyed using it. Nice balance and fit my hand well.
Perhaps I should qualify my statement:
I generally dislike handles any longer than 85mm anyway. My hands are only medium (8.5" glove) in size and you're getting on for a foot taller than me ;)

P.S. good point about how smoothly the handle screws onto the head - best I've ever used too.

Had a very easy shave this morning. I now see what Paul was saying about the knurling being in the wrong place. I found myself gripping the handle on the tapered end bit more than near the head. Still, was fairly grippy. I think I prefer this more-aggressive head.

SOTD - Friday, New Years Day 2016
Soap: Super Smooth - Imperial Tonic - Wickham Soap Co.
Brush: Paladin PK-47 2-band
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (2)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel followed by Penhaligon's Opus 1870 ASB/EdT

Had a very easy shave this morning. I now see what Paul was saying about the knurling being in the wrong place. I found myself gripping the handle on the tapered end bit more than near the head. Still, was fairly grippy. I think I prefer this more-aggressive head.

SOTD - Friday, New Years Day 2016
Soap: Super Smooth - Imperial Tonic - Wickham Soap Co.
Brush: Paladin PK-47 2-band
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (2)
Post: Thayer's witch hazel followed by Penhaligon's Opus 1870 ASB/EdT
I have standard gap on the way. To what you can compare standard vs 0.74?

Thinking within Gillette OC range

Just checking in. Had a thoroughly wonderful shave this morning. I shaved at 0630 this morning and as I stroke my chin at 2200 tonight I still have what could easily pass as a DFS right now. Amazing!
I do have a fault with the razor though, and it was pointed out earlier. The nibs on the top-cap that hold the blade steady are not long enough. So when you load a blade onto the top-cap, the nibs don't actually engage the slot in the blade until the baseplate starts to press against it when tightening the handle. The blade seems to sit on top of the nibs instead of straddling them. This is more of an annoyance than a problem.

Had another great shave today. It occurred to me this morning that this particular razor may be slightly too aggressive for me as a daily-driver. This morning I didn't have much stubble (yesterdays shave was THAT good) so I should have limited myself to a 2-pass (ATG/XTG) shave but went for 3-pass and got some irritation for my trouble.
Tomorrow I've got a fresh Feather blade lined up. We'll see how that goes.
@Nico1970 , I've listed my Feather WS-D1S razor in trade for this exact Wolfman model. Just so you know... ;)
I'll be posting this razor to @Whosthedaddy on Friday. It may go missing... :D

Back
Top Bottom