Closed Pass Around - Wolfman WR1-DC DE Razor - COMPLETE

Gents, Stacy has elected to withdraw from the passaround, so I've moved the remaining folk up one place.

This also means that another spot has opened up, so if you are interested in trying the Wolfman - please read / digest post #1 - pop your name down for position #9.

1. @Nishy - complete
2. @DevonStan - complete
3. @riverrun*
4. @mattyb240
5. @The Geordie Shaver
6. @p.b
7. @wintoid
8. @Mr_Smartepants

*Currently with

LIST CLOSED

Wolfman - Day 2

… and by noon there was enough stubble to have another go with the Wolfman. Maybe the plastic Neo-Gam does give the closer shaves. Heresy - I know.
The same Voskhod blade as yesterday, helped by Meissner Tremonia Dark Limes shaving paste.
Today I did the right side of my face with the closed comb and the left side with the open comb of the Wolfman. This time I get two small nicks on the first pass, both on the closed comb side. One of them in the exact same spot as yesterday - that happens. Proraso Riparatore gel stops them immediately.
I do my standard four pass shave and on both sides the shave feels very similar. Not quite the same though. I think I can detect that the closed comb side seems to be a bit more aggressive, but only by a whisker. Not what I expected.
The alum block can't tell the difference between the two sides. Not much too much sting from Tüff Sensitiv after shave, well it's sensitive after all. It has hardly any scent, so I use it when I want to put on another scent: Paco Rabanne Pour Homme EdT. One of my favourites, but I'm out of the after shave.
The face feels smooth all over, the closed comb side maybe a smidgen smoother.
Five hours or so later there is a notable difference. The closed comb side is still very smooth, but the open comb side develops a little stubble. I would have expected the open comb to give a closer shave, but - for me at least - it doesn't. Well, I never!
I'm still very impressed with the closed comb, but the open comb addition doesn't do it for me. If I'd want to buy a Wolfman I'd go for closed only comb. I think from now on I'll mostly stick with that side of the razor. Maybe it's time to see what it does with a Feather blade.
To be continued...

Wolfman - Day 3

A quick update on yesterday's shave: After 10 hours or so the closed comb shave was markedly better than the open comb one.
Today I changed everything. I'm not sure what to think about the Wolfman handle yet. Maybe not enough knurling, maybe it's the shape? Anyway, the pass around R41 is with me now and it came with a nice Ikon handle, so I'll be using that today. I'm only going to use the closed comb side today with a fresh Feather blade helped along by Speick shaving cream.
The Wolfman with a Feather blade is a bit more aggressive than I like it. I can't deny that my face is as clean shaven as it gets. Smooth everywhere - at a price. Several weepers on the last pass. My harshest critic (the alum block, not SWMBO) screams at me. The fairly mild Speick aftershave adds to the agony. Speick aftershave balm finally saves the day.
This shave won't make it into my all time top 10 of the best shaves ever, although it certainly is one of closest. From now on I'll stick with a Voskhod or maybe a PolSilver blade. I might give my face a day off tomorrow and then do a shave off between the Wolfman and my N3 Schick injector, which currently has an only once used Personna 74 blade in it.
Now that I'm looking forward to.

Last edited:
Wolfman - Day 4

The Wolfman is giving me evils... :eek:
I mentioned on day one that I'm not keen on the two little tabs on the top plate that hold the blade in place.
I decided this morning that yesterday's Feather blade needed to go, so I removed it from the Wolfman. When I tried to grip the blade it somehow started rotating around the central post and sliced me in the finger. That's the first time this has happened with any razor. It doesn't like to be fondled... :rolleyes:
Just saying...
No shave today...

Is the tab like the one on the Futur, a small bar to drop the blade on with no real sense that'll stay out when securing the head?
I don't know the Futur, but I found an image (by Darkbulb)
jt3y3m.jpg

The problem for me is that the two tabs are so shallow that they are just about level with the top of the blade.
No real sense that the blade will stay there and sometimes it doesn't.
I have now taken off the plaster around my finger as the bleeding has stopped.

Martin, thank you so much for your generosity in offering me a place to try to 0.74 Wolfman DE.

I wanted to try it because I was genuinely considering buying a modified Wolfman when James opens his order book again. I've made some significant progress with my shaving, including a bit of a milestone a week or so ago, and am now consistently achieving world-class shaves with equipment I already own. For that reason, I'm no longer considering buying another Wolfman, and I don't think I should take a place on the list.

With much gratitude,

Simon

Back
Top Bottom