Closed Pass around straight (it's a go now - Swedish razor walkabout) ...

Thanks for that vid Mikael, thats really helpful explaining the skin stretching. It's also interesting to see how wet your lather is, I think mine has been too dry all along but I have got away with it while using a DE.

Off for a shave now, so will try out what I have just learnt.

Take your time with the shaves guys, it has taken me several years to reach the speed I'm using in the vids (would be boring to watch a vid for 40 minutes as well).

Mikael

What about a video about making the perfect lather. Like Lose The Beard I had my lather a lot thicker than you. Tried it a lot thinner this morning and it was just as good. I have watched Mantics videos but struggle to judge his thickness

What do you think?

Mark

I don't think a lather vid would help you much (it's such a big difference between how soft/hard the water is), use your most slippery soap, is my best advice, one containing lanolin is a good pick or Nannys soaps are good for straight shaving (too) I think ... MWF good too... I think you get the point :D

Regarding lather, mine is dryer than Mikael's as well. I gradually makes it a little thinner on subsequent passes. The problem for me is, it dries out during the passes if it is as wet as Mikael's. That's probably down to me using 2 or 3 times as long as Mikael :)

Plus I don't know if you can generalize making lather. Every time I'm at a new location (holidays, etc) I have to adjust my lather making process by a rather large margin. I think it is to do with the difference in water hardness. I don't know if the hardness of the water will affect how quickly the lather will dry out, but for me it dries out fast if it's either too dry or too wet to begin with.

/Max

Cheers Max! I think it also looks different on a video, I make my lather so it doesn't get to dry (whip it until it doesn't "crack", but holds together and is a little sluggish).

I have completely changed my lather since watching the vids, and it has been a revelation. I use loads more water than I used to.
I now fully load my 26mm extra silvertip with water, it holds a lot, then transfer to the cream bowl to collect some cream, then into the mug to build the lather. I now get a mug full of much wetter lather, which is working much better.

I made another vid clip, with some comments, than maybe could be of some use for someone:
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/WzD8CMrd5xQ[/video]

I think they're Great videos Mikael..amongst the best I've seen.....in fact, I'd like to see them "locked" in a tutorial section ,for easy access for us aspiring straight shavers.

How about it Mods'?

Mikael said:
I made another vid clip, with some comments, than maybe could be of some use for someone:

What's the scoop Mikey,

Another good home movie to show TSR family members. Yeah, I enjoyed watching that.....thanks.

Hah, that one XTG touch up neck stroke must be a real effective one, and it probably only took you a few years to perfect it. That is one imposing looking pass.

Shaving with a straight looks challenging, but much more so when I realize switching hands is so important. I'm pretty sure my 'dumb' hand would be a slow learner.

Dodge

Oh, almost forgot. Did I hear you humming some lines of Dancing Queen by ABBA? Possibly it's only wishful thinking. If not, maybe you could try that in your next motion picture extravaganza.

dodgy said:
Mikael said:

What's the scoop Mikey,

Another good home movie to show TSR family members. Yeah, I enjoyed watching that.....thanks.

Hah, that one XTG touch up neck stroke must be a real effective one, and it probably only took you a few years to perfect it. That is one imposing looking pass.

Shaving with a straight looks challenging, but much more so when I realize switching hands is so important. I'm pretty sure my 'dumb' hand would be a slow learner.

Dodge

Oh, almost forgot. Did I hear you humming some lines of Dancing Queen by ABBA? Possibly it's only wishful thinking. If not, maybe you could try that in your next motion picture extravaganza.

But Martin ABBA is rock & roll

No, no ABBA song, I'm afraid my singing would scare most people, more than anything else... My oldest friends father was a principal for a well known music school here in Stockholm and he once told me to sing as loud as possible and even though the kids wants to sink down into the ground when I do it, that's what I do. My friends dad also does it (he's a violin player) and one time we had great success at a midsummer celebration in Italy (it was a Swedish theme and it was 50/50 Swedes and Italians), the kids wanted to strangle me, but the Italians looked very impressed.

You know it does take some time (a couple of months) to get the weaker hand to play, but for me and many it's actually the weak hand that get the best results in the early phase on your straight shaving path. So it's not a bad thing (my guess is that you have a lighter touch with the weaker hand), so you see Martin, it's a no good reason to not play :D If you accept I'll help you to find the right razor for you, that can take a while though :D

Mikael said:
No, no ABBA song, I'm afraid my singing would scare most people, more than anything else... My oldest friends father was a principal for a well known music school here in Stockholm and he once told me to sing as loud as possible and even though the kids wants to sink down into the ground when I do it, that's what I do. My friends dad also does it (he's a violin player) and one time we had great success at a midsummer celebration in Italy (it was a Swedish theme and it was 50/50 Swedes and Italians), the kids wanted to strangle me, but the Italians looked very impressed.

You know it does take some time (a couple of months) to get the weaker hand to play, but for me and many it's actually the weak hand that get the best results in the early phase on your straight shaving path. So it's not a bad thing (my guess is that you have a lighter touch with the weaker hand), so you see Martin, it's a no good reason to not play :D If you accept I'll help you to find the right razor for you, that can take a while though :D
I'll second that,it will take some time for the week hand to get to work with a straight,it took me about a month and a half but now I think nothing of it,
and even find it usefull to get bits on the opposite side of my face.
And since it's a usefull skill I even use with my DE razors with outstanding results.
Martin once you start to master the straight razor a, DE becomes a toy, but a toy that you can use more skillfully and start getting shaves that you never thought possible.

Back
Top Bottom