Closed Pass around straight (it's a go now - Swedish razor walkabout) ...

Hi All!

I've been thinking of getting a pool going for a straight, for some time :D

The list, so far:
GOLDCREST
Lose the Beard
shavecraft
Mark70
The Mackem Shaver - both strop and razor's with him now (after getting a personal hand over by TGS ... TSR at it's finest) Mackem's finished and should ship to Nick anytime now (Razor has been touched up by a local guy, cheers Dave!).
nicknohair's
Majortom
texaspete - razor and strop's with Pete now...
midlife_crisis

TERMS:
Post in this thread when you get it and I'll post when I've sent it - it's more than okay to post tips and vid links in here too. You pay for shipping, that's all. Please start a new thread about how it goes, it's good reading and you get pointers from others.

You would also need some kind of strop, plain piece of leather should do though (I'll ask around for someone to donate), you can lay it flat on a table and strop - works fine and it's actually a good way of learning the ropes. - CHEERS TO Bechet45 for taking care of the strop! -

You also need to ship it to me, for honing, prob a good idea in between every time a new member wants to try (if not used or very little use, you can ship directly to the next guy). I don't know how that would work, but from here it's approx. £ 6.50 to ship out registered + actual shipping (approx £ 2) - rather costly, but maybe a cheap price for trying it out! (cheaper than one shave at a barber)?

It would be a round point with a wedgy grind around 5/8 and everyone gets a go for three (or four?) weeks - but I'm open for suggestions, if someone thinks another set up is better... The pool would be open for guys who has been around some, but are new to straights and wants to try. If you drop the razor and it gets damaged/destroyed, you've to pay me £20 and I get another one (honed and ready).

Please lmk if there's any interest and/or if you've got any improvement ideas...

The razor, it's not pretty, but it works and took a sharp edge:
0061024x729.jpg

RE: Straight pool...

Thats a great idea Mikael...not sure if I dare use a straight, though the idea has always had an appeal for me...I will try to pluck up courage... The problem is, my imagination is a little bit too active.......visions of detached ears etc..

You looked prettier on yesterdays photo by the way...

Pretty - talk to me! :D ...

Cheers William! Think of it like this: men of the past all used straights, it was no big deal - and it isn't. I've had nicks, but so did I with DEs and I never heard of someone getting wounded seriously. Try it out on the side burn areas at first, WTG and use the De for touch ups and for the rest, for the first week. Week 2 try WTG on every easy to reach area. Week 3 try a full WTG pass. Use it for days when it doesn't matter if you get a nick. Approx. 30 degrees angle (start less) and _light_ touch (lighter than you go with the DE)... :D

And keep your hands dry! If the tang gets wet and slippy it is very difficult to control anything.

At a barbershop lesson yesterday I did fine, this morning I had difficulty. The difference? Dryness and wetness of hands. Lessson well learned - amongst othhers.

I would be interested. Not been around long though so would either wait or be happy to pay a deposit by Paypal

Seriously thinking of getting into straights but would have to wait until Christmas to get one as a present, wife says I have spent too much in the last month, with five soaps already, two superb ones arrives from Nannys today. So a good chance to try

Bechet45 said:
And keep your hands dry! If the tang gets wet and slippy it is very difficult to control anything.

At a barbershop lesson yesterday I did fine, this morning I had difficulty. The difference? Dryness and wetness of hands. Lessson well learned - amongst othhers.

True Carl, I try to never get the tang area wet and I dry my shaving hand before I go (easy enough, we have towels all over the place - in the shower room).

Re: Straight pool...

I would be very interested in this, would love to give a straight a go but the cost of buying a decent one, plus a strop seems a bit prohibitive at the moment, for something I might not get along with.
Count me in please.

I'll make some kind of list then, later - have to dash now. Good though, seems like we have enough to start this off! :D I even sorted out a razor for it - a Swedish C V Heljestrand, close to 5/8 and 1/2 hollowish grind.

Good and generous idea Mikael. If it gets off the ground when all practicalities are considered I'm definitely interested. I've been mulling over getting a straight. Have been put off trying a straight so far on account of 1) wanting to give myself time to get my DE technique up to snuff, and 2) doubting whether I'd have the time and inclination for the care & maintenance side of the endeavour (which had me leaning toward thinking a Feather Artist Club could be the better way for me). It would be good to be able to give it a whirl before taking the plunge.

Straight pool...

Bechet45 said:

Good morning. Just getting ready to shave with a straight. What i've found that I need to do is use my ALUM Block on my fingers before I start shaving. The Alum really helps to stop the slipping. Good luck. Johnus

Very clever, Johnus!

I have a couple of strops - well, strips of leather ex-ebay - I've been wondering what to do with. One is promised to ajc347 along with the dulled razor donated for practice by ASharperRazor but maybe your idea, Mikael and ASR's PIF could be combined. Even if they can't, I can donate a hanging strop (hah!) for folk to practice on. I would send the strop(s) to the first on your list, Mikael.

For wannabe newbies, my newbie blood count was one cut, very shallow but bled a lot, several nicks and three tiny lumpectomies on my chin. So far. No evidence of any of them now.

guys dont worry about getting a new razor. my current straight was from ebay and. cost under £15 including delivery

i spotted a restorable thiers 1000 for £ 20 including box the otherday, keep looking at you will find one.

you dont have to spend £70/80 on first razor

shanky887614 said:
guys dont worry about getting a new razor. my current straight was from ebay and. cost under £15 including delivery

i spotted a restorable thiers 1000 for £ 20 including box the otherday, keep looking at you will find one.

you dont have to spend £70/80 on first razor

That may be the case, but for me I wouldn't have a clue what I was buying, and would like to have the confidence that the razor I was using for the first time was Shave Ready.

If I find that straight shaving is for me I will probably buy something already restored from one of the many fine people on this forum.

Dodgy - talk to me!
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/YVYW-4zPKLE[/video]

Guys - I'll make a list, from the responses in here tomorrow (let's keep it that way - PMs can be a mess, except when we exchange mail addys). I'll put Mark70 on it too, but last (if he's around when it's his turn he've earned a go :)).

Carl: Thank You! Yes, please and much appreciated, indeed!

We'll sort things out more as we go - but I'll hone this week and test shave before sending it to the first person - William :D I'll also take a pic later, it's not pretty, but the steel feels healthy and I've cut off the end of the scales (one was damaged anyway, so I leveled them) and done some fast sanding/grinding... and I rounded the point, from a french point to a round point.

Who is William - the first person? It matters not - just PM me your address and I'll mail a strop to you to chop up with the new razor.

William!!!!!! Your tea is ready!

Back
Top Bottom