Closed Pass around straight (it's a go now - Swedish razor walkabout) ...

RE: Straight pool...

Mikael said:
Dodgy - talk to me!
[

Ahhh, ok, I get it now,

Never heard of that guy before doing a search on him. Seems nice.....

Actually, I thought the avatar was you, and I was just being complimentary....heh.

Codgy

Oh yeah, that's nice of you to set this thread up. Hah, sowing the seeds in other words. Who's the bestest 'helper'? You are Mikey.....yes you are. Also, I get a kick outta the relentless part.

I'm saddened (blessed actually) not to need any of your help........dodged a potential major bullet there.

Cheers D-man! I'm sure we can come to terms though, somehow ... You seemed to response in some way, when I mentioned the Popular (I've got one of those, cased in a nice and shiny metal box). I only want to help you D, honestly!

The list, so far:
GOLDCREST
Lose the Beard
shavecraft
Mark70

RE: Straight pool (it's a go now) ...

The razor:
025800x692.jpg

RE: Pass around straight (it's a go now - Swedish Heljestrand walkabout) ...

Plan 'A' stumbled and fell at the first hurdle so 'B'.

Lose the Beard please PM your mailing address and I'll send the strop to you, awaiting the razor to catch up from Goldcrest.

Re: Pass around straight (it's a go now - Swedish Heljestrand walkabout) ...

I would go for Plan C now and go to shavecraft.

I have just bought a straight from Mikael and have a strop en route shortly as well.

I got impatient to try a straight, had I known this would come round so soon I could have saved a couple of quid.

Never mind, shavecraft will get a go sooner than expected.

Cheers Lose the beard! If you had any PM exchanges with Bechet, you may want to contact him there as well ... I'm trying to catch up with a project that i need to get out of my hands asap and I haven't honed yet, but I will do that on Tuesday and then it's off ... I was hoping to test my new hone this weekend, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen :(

Cheers for buying the straight Steve, money was much appreciated and it will go back to the big shaving community! :)

Hi Betchet - done. Best bit of inadvertent queue jumping I've done it quite some time that!

Mikael said:
Bechet45 said:
And keep your hands dry! If the tang gets wet and slippy it is very difficult to control anything.

At a barbershop lesson yesterday I did fine, this morning I had difficulty. The difference? Dryness and wetness of hands. Lessson well learned - amongst othhers.

True Carl, I try to never get the tang area wet and I dry my shaving hand before I go (easy enough, we have towels all over the place - in the shower room).

Rubbing your finger tips on a alum block gives some extra grip ;-)

The extra grip is definately a huge advantage - I can now give myself razor rash I boil kettles on!

Well done mikael!! if any body wants to have a bash with a straight now is as good a time as any, if you keep putting this off then you will regret not having a go!!! Straight razors the facts, yes Thay are dangerous,but if used correctly they give a fabulous shave. No slicing action,straights are push cutters, yes a bad rap will follow straight razors around for ever,thanks to Sweeney tod and that Crap,ask yourself this if straight razors are that bad then why hasent mikael or my self or other people that use them in here been killed or hospitalised yet? yes we get the odd little cut from time to time, but I get them from DE razors as well so its even Stevens,as far as I am concerned, give it a go,you never know,you may even love it,but the cost? Your only paying for p&p and the likes of,I can assure you paying for a new one ,and all the things that go with them,will cost you a lot more ,so what are you waiting 4 get on that list.

Bechet45 said:
The extra grip is definately a huge advantage - I can now give myself razor rash I boil kettles on!
:icon_lol:

Ok, I had no luck with the razor, it was a menace to hone (bloody blade was slightly warped). So, I'm taking one of the bargain blades in my sales thread, the J A Hellberg is a nice blade, even though it has some pitting. I'll PM Shavecraft for his addy, so we can get this train going ...

Ok, I've now changed my mind, again :icon_razz:

The Hellberg razor prob could show to be to small for some newbies, I'm not sure about that, but better safe than sorry. So I'm now going to send a larger (11/16, which is 1/16 of an inch larger than a 5/8 size), round point, hollow grind and of the brand Crown and Eagle (I think it was ERN or Garanti who made them). Shipping out today... Promise :D

Ok, I test shaved with the walkabout razor today (day off :)) and I did a vid, thinking that it maybe could be good for someone to watch, in this thread (the first part/pass is the most important for you guys, I have got pretty special techniques otherwise, sliding atg, some other stuff like long strokes on the neck and my last touch up pass on the neck I don't recommend for most people, seriously).

Anyhow, this is a pretty normal 2 ½ passes shave for me, but I tried to be pronounced in the first pass. Sorry for the lousy part during a section when you can't really see how I hold the razor or how it moves!:
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/X1RdHRi0Yfk[/video]

Back
Top Bottom